The Accurate Reloading Forums
Hemingway's African Safari Photos - Add'l Photos Added

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1411043/m/7731065341

04 November 2010, 21:11
KPete
Hemingway's African Safari Photos - Add'l Photos Added
I was browsing through the JFK Library's photo archives and found a gallery of images from Hemingway's 1933-34 and 1953-54 safaris in Kenya and Tanganyika. These are higher resolution copies than what I had seen before, and there is one rare color photo where, looking quite the hero, Papa poses as though he was any other member of Accurate Reloading alongside his quite nice cape buffalo. Good to see that as hunters, things like that don't much change over time and that we're all hams when it comes to our trophy photos.

Interestingly, the photos showing the two kudu I have to assume are the very animals that gave rise to Hemingway's bitter frustration and temper tantrum he so honestly recounted in "Green Hills of Africa". The larger of the two was taken by his hunting companion Charles Thompson (aka "Karl") diminishing Hemingway's briefly triumphant and hard-sought trophy. It was this episode that gave rise to the kudu's moniker, "grey ghost of Africa".

As I know many of you also had Hemingway as an early influence, I thought I would post the best of these photos. Most have been around for a while, but not usually in this quality/resolution. And if, like me, you create photo books of your safaris (e.g., Apples's iBook), these shots make nice historical references aside your own photos. Enjoy!

Hemingway posing with a fine Cape buffalo taken in Kenya 1954 holding his much reviled double rifle (this was his last African safari and seven years before he committed suicide)

Hemingway with the lion he attributed to his wife's marksmanship - Kenya 1934

Ben Fourie, Charles Thompson, Philip Percival, and Ernest Hemingway, Tanganyika, Africa, February 1934

Hemingway posing behind the kudu shot by his friend Charles Thompson - his smaller kudu is conveniently off to the side

Hemingway after falling in brush fire, Shimoni Camp, Kenya, 1954

Ernest and Mary Hemingway on safari in Kenya, 1953/54 (apparently channeling the spirit of Teddy Roosevelt, this is the same safari where he shamelessly took up with a native girl as his mistress, referring to her in his writings as his "fiancée")

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari
04 November 2010, 21:31
Dave Fulson
Great pics Kim, some I never saw. Thanks for sharing.

Dave Fulson
04 November 2010, 22:00
Greg Brownlee
Thanks for posting Kim, great photos. And you're right, I haven't seen any of his photos in a resolution so high.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014
04 November 2010, 22:12
Michael Robinson
Interesting photographs, although I could have done without the gratuitous editorial remarks.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.
04 November 2010, 22:20
impala#03
Cool photos! Thanks for taking the time to post them.
04 November 2010, 22:42
McKay
Cool photos....and I like the comments.....

Mac

04 November 2010, 23:22
twoseventy
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
Interesting photographs, although I could have done without the gratuitous editorial remarks.

Interesting photos. The gratuitous editorial remarks added to the interest of the photos and the post.

Thank you, Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”
04 November 2010, 23:40
Rich Elliott
Kim,
This is the kind of thing that makes AR worth logging onto everyday.
Thanks for posting.
Rich Elliott

Rich Elliott
Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris
05 November 2010, 00:11
Scott Spencer
Another thank you for posting these photographs!
05 November 2010, 01:00
Equinsu Ocha
Thanks for sharing these, Kim. They are great.

And I like the comments as well. Adds to the pics.
05 November 2010, 01:01
John Frederick
quote:

...."gratuitous editorial remarks". Confused bewildered
05 November 2010, 01:14
Trax
Its interesting to learn about the man,not just his hunting results.
Despite his strong monolithic hyper-masculinity, some of his fiction novels were based on gay characters, one of them a spanish bull fighter titled "The mother of a Queen", he probably choose such because of the tough fearless bravado nature of the profession.
Ernests mother dressed him as a girl for the first couple years of his life.
Ernests youngest son, transgender Gloria Hemingway, died in a womens detention centre.
Gloria, like his father Ernest; married 4 times, suffered from depression and alchoholism.
Ernest was taught to shoot by his father, from about 2 1/2 yrs of age.
Ernest took his own life[with his shotgun],and his father did same in 1928, by shooting himself with a Civil War pistol.

http://www.google.com.au/imgre...3D708%26tbs%3Disch:1

http://www.google.com.au/imgre...3D708%26tbs%3Disch:1

http://www.yuddy.com/celebrity/ernest-hemingway/bio
05 November 2010, 02:23
Pepperpot
Thank you for posting the pics, great stuff!
05 November 2010, 04:49
Kathi
Thank you for posting, fantastic photos.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."
05 November 2010, 05:11
bull1
Great photos and I also enjoyed your comments.
Bull1
05 November 2010, 05:38
KPete
Hemingway was 'one of us', and perhaps more than anyone other than Roosevelt, laid the groundwork for what would become 'going on safari' for Western adventurers. Thanks for the kind comments (Mike, forward your address and I'll send you a refund for suffering the 'gratuitous comments').

I have a few more photos of Hemingway and hunting, but while interesting they are not very high quality. For what they're worth, here you go:

Another of Hemingway's Cape buffalo taken in Kenya, 1934. This buff was brought down with his much loved Griffin & Howe Springfield .30-06. I guess no one bothered to tell him he was undergunned!

It is claimed that this is Hemingway during his 1934 safari but I have my doubts as to its provenance. Anyone with more information about this photo?

Hemingway with a leopard taken in Kenya, 1954. There was some controversy as to whether this was a leopard he had killed or had been shot by Philip Percival. Given that the photo was for LOOK magazine (which had paid over $15,000 for the photo rights and another $10,000 for a short article by EH) his wife was worried about controversy. In the end, there was general agreement that this was indeed Hemingway's leopard.

Hemingway performing his morning writing ritual at Shimoni Camp, Kenya, 1954 (Unusual for him to write sitting down; he wrote all of "Green Hills of Africa" standing - as was his custom - at his custom writing stand in his Key West home's atelier)

Hemingway writing in camp in Tanganyika 1954

Hemingway 'hunting' German U-boats off the Florida coast onboard his boat Pilar

A European mount of one of Hemingway's Cape Buffalo in Finca Vigia, Cuba

An impala taken by Hemingway and hanging in Finca Vigia, Cuba

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

05 November 2010, 06:11
Bill C
Great picts Kim, thanks for the glimpse into the past. When in “HD”, doesn’t look all that different than today as you said. I wonder how we will appear to onlookers when our pictures show up on some digital media in 70-80 years….

PS - somebody should tell the Library that its not a "Water_Buffalo"! Smiler
05 November 2010, 06:48
Michael Robinson
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I wonder how we will appear to onlookers when our pictures show up on some digital media in 70-80 years….

One might hope, Bill, that they will simply post the photographs, and dispense with presumptuous value judgments.

Gratuitous: uncalled for, lacking good reason.

Never presume to understand what motivates anyone other than yourself, and you will be less confused, and give far less offense.

Everyone's a critic, whether well or ill equipped for the task.

Mike

05 November 2010, 07:41
KPete
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
I wonder how we will appear to onlookers when our pictures show up on some digital media in 70-80 years….

One might hope, Bill, that they will simply post the photographs, and dispense with presumptuous value judgments.

Gratuitous: uncalled for, lacking good reason.

Never presume to understand what motivates anyone other than yourself, and you will be less confused, and give far less offense.

Everyone's a critic, whether well or ill equipped for the task.

Wow, Mike. I'm not sure where to begin. My intent was to simply post some interesting Hemingway photos and personal thoughts. It seemed innocent enough at the time.

While I appreciate that you would prefer that I "simply post the photographs, and dispense with presumptuous value judgments", this is my post after all. It was my choice to upload those photos and, inasmuch as it's my post, I chose to append comments to them. Is that your definition of being "presumptuous"? If you had paid me to post those photos, or perhaps you were the owner of this website, you might have grounds to tell me what I should or shouldn't express an opinion on. But you're none of those, so what makes you think your value judgments should supersede mine on a post of my creation?

As for being "gratuitous", I'm not sure that's even possible on one's own post. In case it has somehow eluded you, this is a forum where people posit their views and opinions. That's what I did. If I've offended you, it was certainly not my intent. But "lacking good reason"? My reason was that I felt like expressing my opinion. You can choose to read such opinion or ignore it.

Finally, I'm afraid that you incorrectly presume upon yourself a gift of insight: I'm not confused, at least not about what I wrote - though I'll admit to being confused as to how I managed to piss you off. You may think me "ill equipped for the task" (I'm guessing that means I'm not as bright as you, right?) of being a critic or commentator on Hemingway, but unless AR has overnight become a peer-reviewed scholarly journal, I'm not sure my relative expertise is even relevant.

Just a suggestion, Mike, but perhaps you ought to ratchet back the self-importance, switch channels, or simply change to a de-caffeinated coffee.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

05 November 2010, 08:02
JBrown
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:

That may be true, but I don't believe the photos you linked prove anything of the sort. At the turn of the century it was very common for male babies to be dressed in "dresses", especially for photo shots.

There is a photo of Elmer Keith as a baby. He was wearing a dress.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown
05 November 2010, 08:07
Sevenxbjt
Wonderful pics.
05 November 2010, 08:29
harvey stern
Kim, thanks for taking the time to post these pics and particularly for adding the "gratuitous" remarks.

It is obvious that there are many like myself that do not have the Mike's overwhelming background knowledge and insight but have found the comments helpful in putting things into perspective with what we do know.

Mike, I started to type something for your consideration but decided your gratuitous postings weren't worth the effort.
05 November 2010, 09:11
Michael Robinson
As I have said, everyone's a critic, whether well or ill equipped to the task.

I prefer not to indulge in ill-considered judgments, or give credence to psychobabble, as concerns Hemingway.

Yet many still judge and disparage him, in the most facile and stupid ways. It reflects more poorly on them than on him.

I put it this way: Do you hunt and respect the buffalo, or the lowly tick that rides him?

Or another way: Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Mike

05 November 2010, 10:16
BaxterB
quote:
quote:

That may be true, but I don't believe the photos you linked prove anything of the sort. At the turn of the century it was very common for male babies to be dressed in "dresses", especially for photo shots.

There is a photo of Elmer Keith as a baby. He was wearing a dress.

Jason

It was a Victorian thing, my grandfather was dressed that way too.

You really want to understand Gregory read Valerie Hemingway's book and you;ll see that he was really off even as a kid. It sounded as though Gregory was never really happy his entire life.
05 November 2010, 10:34
Trax
I dont doubt what you say, but it is possible his eccentric mother also made a habit of dressing him as a girl.
Suicide,bi-polar/depression,divorces,alcoholism, substance abuse and wearing dressses are things characteristic of more than just one male Hemingway.

http://www.worldwar1-history.c...ngway-Biography.aspx
"His mother, Grace Hall Hemingway, dressed and raised him as a girl for part of his life, calling him "Ernestine". Accounts vary from two years. Some reports claim that, when Ernest Hemingway was born, his mother fantasized that he was the twin of his older, 18-month-old sister, Marcelline. Some accounts hold that she dressed them both as girls and let their hair grow long, then later cut their hair and dressed them both as boys."

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002133/bio
"His father's interests in history and literature, as well as his outdoorsy hobbies - fishing and hunting, became a lifestyle for Hemingway. His mother was a domineering type. She dressed Ernest as a girl and called him Ernestine.."

http://www.csustan.edu/english...chap7/hemingway.html
"Ernest Miller Hemingway was born on July 21, 1899, in Oak Park, Illinois, to Dr. Clarence Hemingway and Grace Hall Hemingway. Oak Park was a mainly Protestant, upper middle-class suburb of Chicago that Hemingway would later refer to as a “town of wide lawns and narrow minds." (Gerogiannis 188) The second among six children, Ernest spent the first two years of his life dressed as a girl by his mother. She called him “Ernestine” and fantasized that he was the twin of his older sister, as she dressed them both in matching dresses and gave them similar hairstyles (Rozkis 233). As he grew older, however, his father stepped in and insisted that Ernest be “raised like a man,” teaching him how to behave and introducing him at a young age to hunting, fishing, and boxing, all activities in which he would stay interested for the rest of his life (Gerogiannis). It is perhaps this early start at questioning his manliness and his father’s attempts to drive any femininity out of him that instilled his characteristic obsession with proving his masculinity throughout his life."
05 November 2010, 10:51
BaxterB
If any one really suffered by the hand of Grace Hall it was Ernest's father...
05 November 2010, 10:54
Kamo Gari
Wonderful pics. Thank you for sharing them.

MR: been reading your thoughts and reports for a number of years now, and I have both enjoyed your words and level-headed input, and have respect for your expertise and wit. For the first time I can recall, I think you're both out of line, and character here. Lighten up a bit, wot?

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.
05 November 2010, 11:29
JBrown
quote:
I dont doubt what you say, but it is possible his eccentric mother also made a habit of dressing him as a girl.

Trax
I stand corrected. I had not read anything like that before. I "assumed" that you might be going off the pictures alone. My mistake.

Michael
I didn't have a problem with you stating that you could have done without the comments.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown
05 November 2010, 11:55
BrettAKSCI
Micheal Robinson,

I'm perscribing you drink at least a cup less coffee per day. Lay off the caffiene!!!

Kim,

Great stuff!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson
05 November 2010, 14:44
A.Dahlgren
Thanks for sharing Kpete, I had some more from his trophyroom in Cuba and one of his lions.

Click for some photos on Instagram

www.bwana.be
05 November 2010, 17:05
ghostbird
Great photos guys... really enjoyed them.
Sorry your thread got shit upon.
Andy

--------------------------------------------
National Rifle Association - Life Member
National Wild Turkey Federation - Diamond Life Sponsor
Pope & Young Club - Associate Member
05 November 2010, 19:10
RayRay
Bravo! Excellent post, interesting and surprising replies.

05 November 2010, 19:21
Michael Robinson
If I have given offense, KPete, I apologize. Perhaps I read more into this than was intended.

Too much received "wisdom" about Hemingway and his foibles is really nothing more than amateur, petty and agenda-driven psychobabble. I've read and heard it all, and it gets tiresome.

I have not seen some of these photos before, and the ones I have seen have not been reproduced at such high resolution. As I said, they are interesting, and I do appreciate that you took the time to post them.

Mike

05 November 2010, 19:35
Nitro Express
The bottom color photo, next above, is of EH's office in Key West, over the garage/pool house and attached to the main house by a catwalk.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning
05 November 2010, 19:37
Huvius
Any idea what the rifle is in the lion picture?
A takedown of some sort?
05 November 2010, 19:46
Sevens
quote:
(which had paid over $15,000 for the photo rights and another $10,000 for a short article by EH)

Eeker

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris
05 November 2010, 21:19
KPete
quote:
If I have given offense, KPete, I apologize. Perhaps I read more into this than was intended.

Too much received "wisdom" about Hemingway and his foibles is really nothing more than amateur, petty and agenda-driven psychobabble. I've read and heard it all, and it gets tiresome.

I have not seen some of these photos before, and the ones I have seen have not been reproduced at such high resolution. As I said, they are interesting, and I do appreciate that you took the time to post them.

I appreciate your apology. Please know that I'm not offended so much as surprised by the ferocity of your accusations ("stupid", "presumptuous", "agenda-driven psycobabble" - really?). Obviously you have a lot of pent-up emotion tied to this man, and are quite protective, if not sensitive about him.

The fact is that I'm a life-long admirer of Hemingway, and he has influenced me in many ways. He certainly inspired me to visit and hunt Africa, among other things. That said, my admiration is tempered by the knowledge that his genius was leavened by serious personality flaws. Our admiration for anyone should never lack clear-eyed objectivity: Failing that, the results are worship, not admiration.

Look, I'm not the smartest guy in any room, and if I'm wrong about something I really want to be corrected. I've looked over my remarks and am still perplexed as to where you get 'facile and stupid disparagement'. And I'm genuinely interested in what I wrote that prompts you to say that I engaged in "amateur, petty and agenda-driven psychobabble". Could you help me to understand that better with some examples?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

05 November 2010, 21:38
KPete
quote:
Originally posted by A.Dahlgren:
Thanks for sharing Kpete, I had some more from his trophyroom in Cuba and one of his lions.

Wow, we've got quite the Papa Hemingway Photo Album going here! Great photos and many thanks for adding them to the post.

Any others out there?

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE

05 November 2010, 21:40
A.Dahlgren
I have more but not African ones.

Click for some photos on Instagram

www.bwana.be
05 November 2010, 21:43
KPete
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
quote:
(which had paid over $15,000 for the photo rights and another $10,000 for a short article by EH)

Eeker

My thoughts, too! By my calculation, that somewhere north of $275,000 in today's currency. If memory serves, the article was to be 3,000 words. EH could write that in four to five hours; not bad for a mornings work ...

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE