Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
quote:
With all the hassle, I’m likely done with Africa.

I’m happy to hunt here.

I posted on another thread that I had a dip and pack call me about a baboon skull that was ready to ship. Problem was, I shot the baboon 10 years previous! I told them to keep it.

Jason,

I am seeing more who just hunt for the sport and the adventure. Also, a common trend is to vacate here and mix it with some hunting. The advantage is you get to see some fantastic country and combine it with our sport.

I would not give up on Africa and simply dismiss what you consider is a hassle.

Cheers

Thanks Andrew. If I ever decide to go back, you would be one of the Outfitters I would call.

There is a very good chance that if I was to return, I would leave all my trophies behind. It probably sounds ridiculous to some but the cost of it just does not make sense. The pictures and memories would be good enough for me.

I have one chap who exported his guns to Zambia of which I now 'own' and left all his kit here. He now arrives just with his briefcase!

There is a trend whereas the trophy is left behind but nothing goes to waste in Africa. These sportsmen and women also seem more relaxed in their pursuit as they are not hunting for inches.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:

I’m happy to hunt here.

I posted on another thread that I had a dip and pack call me about a baboon skull that was ready to ship. Problem was, I shot the baboon 10 years previous! I told them to keep it.

Jason -

I agree with your assessment. The hassles from soup to nuts has dissuaded me from even giving a single shit about it anymore.

I've killed pretty much all of it, hunted most of the countries. I left nothing there.

The greed, the look at US sportsmen as ATM's, as the thread states, robbery on trophy shipments, the firearms hassles, out-going, in country and on return. Taxidermy is astronomically expensive, but part of the overall package (in my mind).

Every aspect of international big game hunting has become a buzz-kill for the enthusiast. Anyone who doesn't agree, I'd be happy to a respectful debate on it.

Social Media, I think you all understand my stance on it. The list goes on and on and on.

I completely understand, and have no quarrel to those who still wish to participate, enjoy every minute of every day, just as I did. My last trip to Tanzania, got me weighing the enjoyment against the hassles. I think my third ammo counting drill in two days pushed me over the edge. I just think its important for the guys here on the other side of the desk to understand how some feel. I just am outspoken and don't care.

I have 5 or 6 other outdoor hobbies that I enjoy, just as much and don't cost a fortune, make me sit on an airplane for two days, and all the other hoops we've all jumped through.

Fast Boats, Bicycle Racing, kayak fishing for giant catfishes, South-America fishing, Renewing my love for shooting for fun.

All of which give me great pleasure without spending 20-100K going hunting.

BTW, I had a crate go from Bangui to CDG France, Bongo full-skin, 2 Buffalo shoulder cape, LDE full-skin plus all the other 9 or 10 species. 6600.00 just to CDG from CAR.

Steve,

You are truly blessed and have experienced some very fine African hunting and taken some wonderful animals not to mention experiencing a Lion charge.

You can now cherish those memories and enjoy all those outdoor pursuits you have mentioned.

But there are those who may seek their first grim encounter with dangerous game or simply want to enjoy the spectacle of wild Africa.

Good operators remove much of the hassle and make for a good safari.

If you ever venture back to Africa bring a rod.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m happy to hunt here.

Jason,

I am seeing more who just hunt for the sport and the adventure. Also, a common trend is to vacate here and mix it with some hunting. The advantage is you get to see some fantastic country and combine it with our sport.

I would not give up on Africa and simply dismiss what you consider is a hassle.

Cheers

Thanks Andrew. If I ever decide to go back, you would be one of the Outfitters I would call.

There is a very good chance that if I was to return, I would leave all my trophies behind. It probably sounds ridiculous to some but the cost of it just does not make sense. The pictures and memories would be good enough for me.

I have one chap who exported his guns to Zambia of which I now 'own' and left all his kit here. He now arrives just with his briefcase!

There is a trend whereas the trophy is left behind but nothing goes to waste in Africa. These sportsmen and women also seem more relaxed in their pursuit as they are not hunting for inches.

Andrew,

That one chap is a fine fellow. I’m happy his kit did not suffer the fate in the fire.

I have a “bin” at the lodge in Argentina with my clothes and my hope is to always travel with a carryon, but items are always requested from the USA.

Karl,

Those charges are insane. As I mentioned, not many carriers are doing air freight of trophies now. They have hunters bent over. I don’t know if a clearing agent would help, but they also want to get paid. I’ve had some negotiate prices down, but there’s a point when I told people to piss up a rope.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m happy to hunt here.

Jason -

I agree with your assessment. The hassles from soup to nuts has dissuaded me from even giving a single shit about it anymore.

I've killed pretty much all of it, hunted most of the countries. I left nothing there.

The greed, the look at US sportsmen as ATM's, as the thread states, robbery on trophy shipments, the firearms hassles, out-going, in country and on return. Taxidermy is astronomically expensive, but part of the overall package (in my mind).

Every aspect of international big game hunting has become a buzz-kill for the enthusiast. Anyone who doesn't agree, I'd be happy to a respectful debate on it.

Social Media, I think you all understand my stance on it. The list goes on and on and on.

I completely understand, and have no quarrel to those who still wish to participate, enjoy every minute of every day, just as I did. My last trip to Tanzania, got me weighing the enjoyment against the hassles. I think my third ammo counting drill in two days pushed me over the edge. I just think its important for the guys here on the other side of the desk to understand how some feel. I just am outspoken and don't care.

I have 5 or 6 other outdoor hobbies that I enjoy, just as much and don't cost a fortune, make me sit on an airplane for two days, and all the other hoops we've all jumped through.

Fast Boats, Bicycle Racing, kayak fishing for giant catfishes, South-America fishing, Renewing my love for shooting for fun.

All of which give me great pleasure without spending 20-100K going hunting.

BTW, I had a crate go from Bangui to CDG France, Bongo full-skin, 2 Buffalo shoulder cape, LDE full-skin plus all the other 9 or 10 species. 6600.00 just to CDG from CAR.

Steve,

You are truly blessed and have experienced some very fine African hunting and taken some wonderful animals not to mention experiencing a Lion charge.

You can now cherish those memories and enjoy all those outdoor pursuits you have mentioned.

But there are those who may seek their first grim encounter with dangerous game or simply want to enjoy the spectacle of wild Africa.

Good operators remove much of the hassle and make for a good safari.

If you ever venture back to Africa bring a rod.

Andrew -

You are exactly right. I have had my time. And as I stated, If others still have that gut burning passion, regardless of the roadblocks, regulations, cost and many hoops, God Bless them.

At some point, the passion just isn't enough to overcome the nightmares of getting to camp. Once in camp, I love every second of every day.

I believe I was lucky to have experienced Africa during a period of relative stability, easy travel and exceptional hunting. From 1999-2018 or even 19 were the modern era's "Golden Years" of Safari hunting.

And yes, I think I had a lucky streak of good hunts, good Professionals and storybook Safaris. The Lion Charge. . . Wow, I'd nearly forgotten just how intense following up a wounded Lion through some of Luangwa's nastiest thickets can be and was. I clearly remember wanting to be anywhere but where I was, not knowing the outcome.

I do vividly remember, after a bluff charge from a Lioness, Alister lighting up a smoke and telling me "Steve, This Lion is going to come".

He did, we both shot and he piled up dead at a mere 12 feet. Things like that just don't come along in a mans life. As you say, I'm Blessed.

I'll post a few articles I've written over the years that no publications wanted and after "The African Hunter" folded. I enjoy sharing my experiences in print.

I do want to return to hunt for Giant Vundu. Traveling with rod & reel is a piece of cake.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andrew, How big do Vundu get? There's very little written word about them.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:

How much does a vundu weigh?
The vundu catfish can weigh above 132 lb (60 kg) depending on its length, diet, and habitat.

The size of fishes like vundu range from about 5-6 ft (152-183 cm) for fully grown adults which is considered quite large for a fish species like catfish.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana338:
quote:

The vundu catfish can weigh above 132 lb (60 kg) depending on its length, diet, and habitat.

I've seen photos of them well above that. Some look like they could go north of 200#. The problem with Africa is that some large specimens wind up in a pot, not recorded. All the other giants of the world, there are records kept, lots of data and are fished for in large numbers.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've seen photos of them well above that. Some look like they could go north of 200#. The problem with Africa is that some large specimens wind up in a pot, not recorded. All the other giants of the world, there are records kept, lots of data and are fished for in large numbers.

I have seen a few pictures claiming that the fish can make it close to 600 pounds. it will depends on location.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1575 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I have seen a few pictures claiming that the fish can make it close to 600 pounds. it will depends on location.

That's my point. I don't believe the 136# number to be accurate. I'd do a two week trip to fish for them in the waters where they seem to be the largest.

Formerly "Nganga"

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We have had a crate (all completed taxidermy) in Namibia since 2020 when this mess all started. We haven't pushed to get it here but now flights seem to be more available. It is 71" x 42" x 42" and weighs about 350 LBS. A shipping agent that claimed to be organizing a big air shipment with several crates "to save us all money" quoted me $7200 into DFW. $2200 of that was for clearing services in DFW. WTF?!?!?! We told them we would be pursuing other options.

We are going to Spain, South Africa and Namibia this year for hunts rebooked from 2020. We are prepared to just "export" the trophies via iPhone fotos.

Safe travels

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
$2200 of that was for clearing services in DFW. WTF?!?!?! We told them we would be pursuing other options.

Clear it yourself and save the $2200.00, it's pretty easy unless you have a leopard or elephant tusks. Only a couple of hours to DFW from Wichita Falls.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
End of the Qatar saga...Qatar apparently lost shipping packet (to be fair the crate sat in Harare for a month and a half), so didn't have packet to give me which I had to have to clear the crate, I got the shipper in Zim to email copies which I used to file my eDecs with USFWS, cleared in abut 40 minutes, and to present to CBP, took about 20 minutes for them to clear. However; when I went into CBP and presented my paperwork and drivers license, I told the officer that the addresses wouldn't match as we had moved it the time frame between shipping and arrival (59 days)and that I had applied for new drivers license with current address. Also told him the new license had arrived the day before and I just didn't change out, no excuse. I asked if that would be a problem and he told me "no, not since you told me". His computer screen was showing my new DL with new address. Scary what they can access. Cleared and on to Qatar Cargo (which happens to be next door to USFWS at DFW). Different story there...I was the only person in the office whose first language was English, and I don't speak Chinese. Bit of a communication problem, there. I asked why they wanted to charge me almost $1000 in storage when it was their fault I couldn't pick up the crate, either didn't understand or didn't want to understand, all the clerk would do was read off of a sheet of paper. Very long story short, someone, somewhere at Qatar determined that I should only pay 1/2. I was OK with that, then the next problem arose...they can't receive payment at Qatar and customers must use a third party payment system that is almost impossible to navigate. It took three of us to finally make it work and I was able to pay. Then I waited by the ramp for almost and hour (while several of the workers stood 20 feet away smoking the entire time) and finally had had enough and went back inside and was not very nice in asking why it was taking so long to retrieve a box weighing 64 lbs. Five minutes later one of the smokers brought my box, which I could have carried out of their warehouse an hour before. I have one more shipment about ready to leave Africa, South Africa this time, and Rex Freight Forwarders should handle the shipping. I will definitely be telling them NOT to use Qatar Cargo. USFWS 40 minutes, CBP 20 minutes, Qatar Cargo 2 hours and 40 minutes. But, all's well that ends well, I guess.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Glad to know you got your shipment, finally.

Might want to follow up by phone and in writing to Qatar customer service.

My sense is they are sensitive to this kind of thing.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Karl,
Glad you were able to finally receive your errant shipment and clear yourself!!
WELL DONE... and for sticking with it and not giving in!!
I noticed your comments on the SCI thread that your wife was sick on Friday at SCI. How is she doing and did she avoid the hospital in Las Vegas or back home??
Wishing her well!!
We are now 5 days post SCI/Beinfeld Gunshow and no symptoms!! We self quarantined after driving back to Palm Springs... and first cocktail party with friends tonight!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2561 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
We have had a crate (all completed taxidermy) in Namibia since 2020 when this mess all started. We haven't pushed to get it here but now flights seem to be more available. It is 71" x 42" x 42" and weighs about 350 LBS. A shipping agent that claimed to be organizing a big air shipment with several crates "to save us all money" quoted me $7200 into DFW. $2200 of that was for clearing services in DFW. WTF?!?!?! We told them we would be pursuing other options.

We are going to Spain, South Africa and Namibia this year for hunts rebooked from 2020. We are prepared to just "export" the trophies via iPhone fotos.

Safe travels

SFRANGER-
First thank you for your service!!
I had a similar issue in Namibia in 2012 of much smaller proportions, and trophies almost held hostage!!
We are at our winter residence so don'thave my records at hand. I have Googled freight forwarders in Windhoek, Namibia and seem to recall Pronto Freight services-
https://prontoglobalfreight.com/
I used an agent by the name of Peter and he bailed me out from the thieves offering both air and Sea shipping.
The minimum was $295 on air so I opted for Sea in a consolidated container... in hindsight, that was a mistake as Flora and Fauna performed the Customs and USF&W Clearance and hosed me in New Jersey... vs my home port of entry Airport where I would have cleared myself as Karl demonstrates above...then reshaped by UPS to my door... this was 2 trophies, 12pounds!!...and $500 in 2012!! Air would have been cheaper at $295!!
I think you will find dealing with a local freight forwarder who advertises Hunting Trophy Shipping will be effective and they may be able to link up to ATLAS AIR FREIGHT from JNB... to an air port of entry near you... I use Seattle.
If this doesn't pan out, contact the Namibia PH Association for guidance.... referrals.

Finally, it wouldn't hurt to contact Richard Lendrum,AFRICAN HUNTING GAZETTE, and new business AHG SHIPPING, also Afton House owner...he can probably provide you with guidance or pick up your consignment and get it moved professionally for you.

I have discussed this trophy shipping debacle with him many times as the Achilles heel of the future of trophy hunting in Africa. His mission is to professionally promote all aspects of hunting in Africa!!

Good Luck!! Let us know how it comes out!!

CheerZ,

470EDDY

Posts: 2561 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:

I noticed your comments on the SCI thread that your wife was sick on Friday at SCI. How is she doing and did she avoid the hospital in Las Vegas or back home??
Wishing her well!!

Thanks for the well wishes, she was pretty sick after we got home, 2 negative covid tests and Dr diagnosis was “a really bad cold, as it would be called pre-covid”. Almost done with it now.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted in Africa since 2018; I had shipped a leopard skin, warthog, impala, zebra, bushbuck, and maybe one or two other things. I don't recall the shipping or clearance being outrageous. Apparently, things have gotten worse, huh?

As for Covid, the test regimen is a major turn off. I have ankle surgery scheduled for Feb 3, and if I test positive for Covid, it is cancelled. Right now, I am staying away from everyone indoors, wearing a mask everywhere when I need to go into a store, etc. Even had Ms LRNut cancel her pilates classes until after my surgery.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote