Find
Notify
Tools

Safari clothing for ladies?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
For those who have hunted with me they know this trip to Africa will see me wearing the same clothes I wear hunting in the states.

My wife has a decent amount of outdoor apparel but is looking for some non camo.

As spring and summer wardrobes replace fall and winter she is having problems finding much for our trip.

Any on-line suggestions are appreciated.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
She's looking at those now

Thank You for the links

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
She's looking at those now

Thank You for the links

QUICK, hide the credit cards! rotflmo

Joking aside. We only added those pages the other day, so it was good timing. Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Joyce had some problems finding clothing "built" for women. She ended up liking the "She Safari" line as far as their "cut" was concerned. It's about comfort vs. look. She could move well in their gear.

Not sure where they are sold anymore or if they are still in business. Joyce bought most of her stuff years ago.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife really liked the She Safari line of clothing as well, unfortunately its hard to find. I believe Bass Pro bought them out and now offers only a small portion of what they used to carry.

There's still some older She Safari clothing available on ebay.

The Orvis line is good stuff and is probably your best bet.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Tricia can wear off the rack pants but has to have her button up tops altered.

She will need to act quickly so she can get the shirts pleated.

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
For 100% cotton cargo pants and shirts in brown/olive/khaki, she should try Old Navy. They have a lot of stuff that works well for safari clothing. When my wife was looking for Safari clothes, she tried a lot of the expensive stuff like SHE Safari, etc., but liked the cheap stuff she got at Old Navy the best. The nice thing is that it's pretty much disposable. Wear it over there and leave it!

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Mrs Blacktailer has bought men's small safari shirts in the past. She resigns herself to "looking like one of the guys" while we are hunting and leaves the shirts for the crew as an added tip.
Pants she has generally been able to get from Cabelas.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and daughter like she safari and tag safari and they are picky. BTW, Bass pro in springfield has a ton of she safari and some women's tag stuff on clearance in their outlet store ($5-$10 per piece).

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Another option if you don't want to go the button-up shirt route is to go with shirts like these paired with a fleece jacket for cold mornings. My wife is not a fan of the button-up.
She found khaki and olive t-shirts at Target for about $4 a piece…

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I know that this ain't the most stylish...but with respect to shirts, have her buy white cotton blouses she likes and then dye them OD green.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've taken my daughters twice to Africa and this year it will be the first trip for Sandy. All my ladies like fashion and shopping, so finding clothes that they like has been a fun part of the anticipation.

This year, Sandy had a great time at the Dallas Safari Club convention shopping for women's clothes and bought some things there and later through vendors catalogs. In February, she and her daughter went on a girl's trip to Freeport, ME and, while there, shopped L.L. Bean and the other great outdoor stores, all within walking distance of their B&B.

But.... I always love to do a tee shirt for the trip.

Here's my model and this safari's fashion.

Lots of fun creating and wearing them!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
So that is your custom designed T shirt?

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I guess you could call it that? I used www.customink.com and have for about 8 years. When Biebs and I went to Chirisa, I had one done for him and Lou and George Hallamore, too. Don't have a picture handy with Jon wearing his, but wear it he did!

Just a fun way to remember the safari, I reckon.

quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
So that is your custom designed T shirt?

Here is my 2010 shirt:

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Cool for sure

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
Don't have a picture handy with Jon wearing his, but wear it he did!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife also likes the SHE Safari line - thanks for pointing out the issues, will see about buying up what I can find out there.

I remember getting some from Beretta Gallery in NYC... maybe they still carry it?

Otherwise, the Orvis stuff looks good too.

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife found some clothing she liked at Gander Mountain.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Karen shopped in the boys department and found stuff she liked and that worked for her. She went the semi-disposable route. She also bought at least one pair of pants (that I know of) in Namibia. Maybe not much of a fashion statement but she had what she needed in a tent camp and for travel, so it was all good. I agree that shopping for the trip is part of the fun for both of us.

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife went with LL Bean for button up shirts, the local army surplus store for t-shirts, and the local Salvation Army for pants. I snagged a Boyt safari jacket for her off of the SCI logo store on sale. Looks like it is still on sale. I ordered it and Boyt called for the size. Can't beat $25.

http://www.scimember.com/catal...193&products_id=1238

This is all for our first trip in July, so I can't say if any of it is a good idea, but she is happy, so I am happy.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeE
posted Hide Post
Don't forget socks and boots also. I know it sounds a bit simple, but ladies are NOT the best pickers of solid footwear for safari.

When I took my wife and her sister in 2012, I insisted on the Smartwool socks, in the right sizes. I in fact packed extra in my bag for them, knowing they didn't know how important that would be. After day one, walking in the Caprivi, Trish said " I wish I had brought more of the smartwool, my feet are soaked with sweat in these cotton socks". When I tossed her a three pack of the Smartwool, she was glad I had overruled her just that once.

The Palladium boots continue to be a hit also, I noted she wore them to the range for training last week. Dries quickly, light enough for smaller framed princesses, choice of colors.

Master of Boats,
Slayer of Beasts,
Charmer of the fair sex, ......
and sometimes changer of the diaper.....

Posts: 347 | Location: HackHousBerg, TX & LA | Registered: 12 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Khaki Fever.com

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Kuhl clothing. Very comfortable to walk in.

Posts: 82 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote