Notify
Tools

DSC observations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

I for one really wish DSC would do the Wednesday through Saturday thing. Sunday is always slow anyway......

As having taken my young school age son and several young nephews to the Dallas Show I have MASSIVE preference for the show running until Sunday. The kids are normally in school through Friday, so Saturday and Sunday are the only days really open to kids.

That is a big problem with SCI. If I take my son to SCI we cannot fly out until Friday evening. So we only have one very rushed day at SCI. We didn't go to Reno this year. The non-direct flights made it too difficult. I don't think SCI really gives a crap about kids attending their show. On the other hand, I think DSC badly wants kids to attend their show.

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1284 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DSC was a busy and wonderful event! Saw and spoke with lots of folks and everyone was having a great time. Bought more stuff than I had anticipated.

As a SCI life member, they polled me in past years MANY times about Las Vegas -vs- Reno and I made it LOUD AND CLEAR that as long as the convention was in Reno I would not attend. For all the reasons previously given, to me and my wife, Las Vegas is SO much better.

Posts: 297 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 13 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have touched on this before. I want to expand as it was incredibly important to me.

I gained very valuable information in several areas while there. I either spoke to representatives of some product I used or I got info in a hand out.

Let me summarize what I can think of off the top of my head:

1- FISH PONDS- There a card in the handouts ( I think they were handed out to everyone) that was a calendar of what should be done with the ponds throughout the year.

2- FEEDERS- I have an issue with certain protein feeders. I was able to speak directly with the manufacturer who gave me a simple solution.

3- MINERALS- I had questions about minerals. I was able to speak directly with people from Purina who gave me some ideas not only on the minerals but protein as well.

4- FLASHLIGHTS- I have a $400 flashlight that has issues. I spoke with the distributor who thinks I have inadvertently locked myself out.

I have never tried to take advantage of these opportunities before. Huge mistake on my part.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott Powell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have touched on this before. I want to expand as it was incredibly important to me.

I gained very valuable information in several areas while there. I either spoke to representatives of some product I used or I got info in a hand out.

1- FISH PONDS- There a card in the handouts ( I think they were handed out to everyone) that was a calendar of what should be done with the ponds throughout the year.

2- FEEDERS- I have an issue with certain protein feeders. I was able to speak directly with the manufacturer who gave me a simple solution.

3- MINERALS- I had questions about minerals. I was able to speak directly with people from Purina who gave me some ideas not only on the minerals but protein as well.

4- FLASHLIGHTS- I have a $400 flashlight that has issues. I spoke with the distributor who thinks I have inadvertently locked myself out.

I have never tried to take advantage of these opportunities before. Huge mistake on my part.

So I'm dying to know.. How do you lock yourself out of a flashlight? :-)

"At least once every human being should have to run for his life - to teach him that milk does not come from the supermarket, that safety does not come from policemen, and that news is not something that happens to other people." - Robert Heinlein

Posts: 893 | Location: Akron, OH | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to echo Texas Blue Devil and others on Sunday - much better given work schedules and I also take my kids.

Highlights something I wish SCI would fix. They require kids 18 and older to join SCI and pay full freight to go to their show. Personally, I think anyone under 30 should get in fro free or a discounted rate. We need to give the younger generation as much positive exposure to hunting as possible - their pricing puts up a barrier that means little in terms of revenue to them and goes against our industry need to bring on the next generation.

In contrast, DSC is $10 a day - makes it easy.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Powell:
quote:

So I'm dying to know.. How do you lock yourself out of a flashlight? :-)

If I knew, I would not have done it!

Apparently, it is to prevent accidentally turning it on. The batteries are expensive.

Posts: 11959 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
quote:
Originally posted by tarbe:
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Enjoyed the AH dinner.My pleasure to meet Jerome,7mmnut,Lin Stanton,Greg,Jonathan Collett,Jim Grange,Country ??,and others whose names I can't recall.

Missed you!

I was the guy giving away the John Sharp books.

Maybe next year!

Tim

Where you the guy giving the books away at the convention too? If so,I was wondering who that was.That booth was quite busy.

I gave away two at the AH dinner as door prizes.

I had about a dozen guys pick up books at DSC, vs mailing them.

I went to John Sharp's booth at least 4 times to visit and he was always busy signing books, giving pictures or talking to someone.

I know he sold out of books at SCI and so brought twice the number of books to DSC and had them half gone by Friday afternoon.

Good thing his best bud was there to help keep things moving or John would have been like a one-armed paper hanger.

If anyone saw him sitting there looking bored, he was actually just trying to catch his breath during a rare break.

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
If anyone saw him sitting there looking bored, he was actually just trying to catch his breath during a rare break.

It was Sunday, a pretty quiet day...

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I was able to attend Friday through Sunday with my wife, son and daughter. We all enjoyed our time spent there.

My wife was pleased with the activities for the kids and was even more pleased to see exhibitors of interest geared toward ladies too.

My son Thomas and I spent a considerable amount of time visiting with Ralf Martini soaking up as much knowledge as we could about working rifles. His .375 working rifle was 100% pure joy to hold and examine. A man could hunt a lifetime with that rifle alone with no regrets.

I was pleasantly surprised to run in to my friend Morris Melani of Alaska Arms at the MNR booth with Matthew Roberts. Morris is a wealth of information on working rifles and we continued our conversation from our last visit about flat meplat bullet feed, function and performance on game.
Had the good fortune to win a silent auction to hunt with Mokore in Mozambique which I’ll take in 2020. I have a year and a half to convince my wife that I can take our son Thomas there and back with me in one piece.

I stopped by the Hornady booth to pitch the idea of them loading 6X45 ammo. That’s 5 minutes of my life wasted.

We stopped by the AR room a couple times, but there was no one there. I was hoping to put some faces with names while there but no luck. Perhaps we could formally organize a evening in the future.

My wife’s only criticisms were:
Seating
Limited food options
Hoochie girls some exhibitors had there
I’m with her on those three things as it would make it more family friendly.

My 9 year old daughter is already making plans to go back next year and wants to bring her friends.
Youth involvement is the key to maintaining our culture.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness I met an old friend for Friday, who really doesn't share my hunting interests and had a client there on Saturday. I got in enough trouble in my spare time.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that the show came off fine for most of the venders! They are the life of the show, and deserve to be honored for their support of DSC and hunting in general.

This the second year I have missed going to the show, and I live only 20 miles from the convention center. Both times it has been because of health issues. This year a doctors appointment on Friday, when I was hoping to meat up with RUSTY, and visit Chris Sells Heym Booth. Alas getting old is hell, and travel in down town Dallas traffic is a bitch with these old eyes, ill health and short fuse with the constant road work in Dallas.

Maybe next year if I'm still around!

……………………………………………………………. old 82 and counting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Mac, if I had known. I would have come to your house and picked you up and brought you home. The last time I saw you, you were standing behind me at Caswell's table, waiting for me to put down a double rifle so you could snatch it up! I never regretted buying that Rodda and still enjoy it! Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2267 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
Mac, if I had known. I would have come to your house and picked you up and brought you home. The last time I saw you, you were standing behind me at Caswell's table, waiting for me to put down a double rifle so you could snatch it up! I never regretted buying that Rodda and still enjoy it! Lee.

Big Grin Yes I remember that exchange! That was a fine little rifle, and If I couldn't have it I must say it couldn't have found a better home!

We need to have another shoot down at Houston. Those timed shoots were a real blast (no pun intended).

…………………………………………………...Good to hear from you!
………………………………………………………………….. oldMac

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are my observations (some of them anyway) I'm sure more to come:
I had a really good time, I worked my ass off, I discovered that a knee walker and carpet are a bad combination, I now have the inevitable "convention crud", I was able to meet and briefly visit with a few AR members, notably Chris Sells, Larry Shores, Dave Fulson, Mike Jines, Jerry Fisk, Greg Brownlee, Jorge, Dr Scott and some whom I'm sure I am overlooking, I visited with a big bunch of outfitters and was able to get a copy of Buzz's new book and have it signed. The show was great, lots of happy exhibitors, and a few not so happy. Most did a lot of business but as always, some didn't fare so well.
In our auctions, African hunts didn't seem to sell as well as other hunts (I bought a cape buffalo hunt for $1400.00, no trophy fee), firearms, art and jewelry sold pretty well, one deer stand/feeder exhibitor sold every stand he had to one individual and then sold 9 protein feeders to another guy. There were a few demonstrators one afternoon, not many, apparently, one thought it would be a good idea to run towards the convention center. Not such a good idea as he made it about halfway across the street before he was literally mobbed by DPD officers, "detained" and carted off to jail. Immediate and overwhelming presence by DPD and was much appreciated.
Lots of suggestions from attendees and exhibitors on how to make the show better and some were very good (don't know why I didn't think of some of them)and some were ridiculous. Some will most likely be incorporated in our show next year.
One common complaint regarded our hotel reservation system and how unfair it seemed to be, we realize it is a huge problem and is being worked on. I hope an equitable solution is worked out but it's going to be really hard to do.
Many, many companies are requesting booth space for next year (over and above the 500 plus on the waiting list), I see the board having numerous discussions about whether to increase booth numbers for next year.
Now for some numbers, DSC (and I believe SCI) has decided to be more transparent in reporting attendance numbers. In the past attendance was figured by taking into account exhibitors, those registered for banquets, one-two-and three day pass sales and day pass counter sales to arrive at a number used as a total. Not so this year, passes were either hand counted or "weigh" counted and the total number of attendees was slightly over 34,000, which would be an increase of 32% over last year if last years attendance was figured using the "new" method. There were lots of people in the convention center.
I've received a couple of PM's with suggestions on how to improve our show, keep them coming, we are open to suggestions.
Thanks to those of you that attended and supported our club and exhibitors, thanks to our exhibitors who left their home and family to exhibit at our show and thanks for the kind remarks about our show and about me personally. Like I said earlier, I'm humbled.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Here are my observations (some of them anyway) I'm sure more to come:
I had a really good time, I worked my ass off, I discovered that a knee walker and carpet are a bad combination, I now have the inevitable "convention crud", I was able to meet and briefly visit with a few AR members, notably Chris Sells, Larry Shores, Dave Fulson, Mike Jines, Jerry Fisk, Greg Brownlee, Jorge, Dr Scott and some whom I'm sure I am overlooking, I visited with a big bunch of outfitters and was able to get a copy of Buzz's new book and have it signed. The show was great, lots of happy exhibitors, and a few not so happy. Most did a lot of business but as always, some didn't fare so well.
In our auctions, African hunts didn't seem to sell as well as other hunts (I bought a cape buffalo hunt for $1400.00, no trophy fee), firearms, art and jewelry sold pretty well, one deer stand/feeder exhibitor sold every stand he had to one individual and then sold 9 protein feeders to another guy. There were a few demonstrators one afternoon, not many, apparently, one thought it would be a good idea to run towards the convention center. Not such a good idea as he made it about halfway across the street before he was literally mobbed by DPD officers, "detained" and carted off to jail. Immediate and overwhelming presence by DPD and was much appreciated.
Lots of suggestions from attendees and exhibitors on how to make the show better and some were very good (don't know why I didn't think of some of them)and some were ridiculous. Some will most likely be incorporated in our show next year.
One common complaint regarded our hotel reservation system and how unfair it seemed to be, we realize it is a huge problem and is being worked on. I hope an equitable solution is worked out but it's going to be really hard to do.
Many, many companies are requesting booth space for next year (over and above the 500 plus on the waiting list), I see the board having numerous discussions about whether to increase booth numbers for next year.
Now for some numbers, DSC (and I believe SCI) has decided to be more transparent in reporting attendance numbers. In the past attendance was figured by taking into account exhibitors, those registered for banquets, one-two-and three day pass sales and day pass counter sales to arrive at a number used as a total. Not so this year, passes were either hand counted or "weigh" counted and the total number of attendees was slightly over 34,000, which would be an increase of 32% over last year if last years attendance was figured using the "new" method. There were lots of people in the convention center.
I've received a couple of PM's with suggestions on how to improve our show, keep them coming, we are open to suggestions.
Thanks to those of you that attended and supported our club and exhibitors, thanks to our exhibitors who left their home and family to exhibit at our show and thanks for the kind remarks about our show and about me personally. Like I said earlier, I'm humbled.

(1) If you move the food out of the show floor and somewhere else in the center, you will free up floor space and can get more exhibitors on the show floor. OR just keep the food with the guns and kill the other food stations for more space.

(2) More drink stations, means shorter lines and less crowds around the booze and can move thru the area more smoothly.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The room reservation issue should priority one for next year. Lots of folks were still talking about the reservations issue and I came up with an idea that might possibly work so here goes:

There are folks who year after year, not only attend and support, but consistently buy tables and invite guests. With that in mind, why not extend the option to everyone who buys a table the ability to reserve say, five rooms? there are ten people to a table, almost always couples and that way you will ensure the "regulars" can extend that invite to their guests

Last year I was on the phone and computer and by 1004, all rooms were booked. We were lucky that one of our friends managed to reserve three rooms and offered one to us.

Anyway, just thinking out of the box.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With regards to the hotel issue - Karl, myself, the convention chair for next year and our executive director had our first meeting to discuss 2020 convention rooms at the Omni in October last year and I'm sure there will be many more.

The problem is that everybody has their favored subgroup of attendees that they feel should be given preference at the Omni: some want life members to get all the rooms, some want table sponsors to get all the rooms, some want high bidders to get all the rooms, some want exhibitors and/or sponsors to get all the rooms, some want volunteers to get all the rooms, etc.

In all likelihood we will come up with some plan along the lines of what Jorge suggested above where a combination of high bidders, donors, sponsors, essential volunteers, VIPs and essential staff are offered the Omni rooms first. The unfortunate thing about this plan is that it could fill all of the rooms at the Omni. This means that someone that does not fit one of these groups has zero chance of getting a room at the Omni.

It is still very much a work in progress and nothing has been decided yet. We are committed to clearly communicating the plan to everyone once it is decided.

Scott Tobermann, DVM
Past President, Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 307 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think there is a good answer for the problem with the Omni rooms. The convention is just too big and the hotel is just too small. There are too many people who have first dibs on the rooms, that the average member just does not have much of a chance of getting to stay there. I have tried for years to book a room with no luck. I live close enough to drive to the convention, so at least I am able to attend, but I don't stay overnight any more.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
If you get rid of the 3 night minimum, that would help. I managed to start the booking for the Omni, but ran into the minimum so did not book. Same problem for the Aloft. Some folks like myself cannot stay that long.

Posts: 752 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a HUGE shout out to DSC- they are brilliant! A massive thanks to Karl , Rebecca and all the volunteers - they real make a huge difference. There simply is no comparison between the shows any longer. Keep it up DSC!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I’ve always wondered why members don’t receive a discount or some sort of recognition for entrance fees to the show. It’s not as though we (members) need it but why do we pay the same amount as non-members when it’s our show?
Believe me I love DSC (I’m a lifer) but I don’t feel any connection to it or appreciation as a member. I’m just one of 34,000 attendees.
Give members a discount and up charge the non members.
What am I missing?
I’ll probably get roasted for this but oh well.

Edit to add: the first year I attended as a member I got a bunch of cool
swag and I felt like I was part of something. That was 11 years ago.

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanderhoef:
I’ve always wondered why members don’t receive a discount or some sort of recognition for entrance fees to the show. It’s not as though we (members) need it but why do we pay the same amount as non-members when it’s our show?
Believe me I love DSC (I’m a lifer) but I don’t feel any connection to it or appreciation as a member. I’m just one of 34,000 attendees.
What am I missing?

I have no idea of the actual reasoning. One idea may be the time it would take to separate the two. It is dirt cheap already. Also, it may be an incentive to join. After our first visit, I became a life member.

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
What am I missing?

I have no idea of the actual reasoning. One idea may be the time it would take to separate the two. It is dirt cheap already. Also, it may be an incentive to join. After our first visit, I became a life member.

But what is the incentive to join if there aren’t any benefits to being a member?

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reasons I joined had nothing to do with obtaining any sort of financial benefit.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I would like to see Zambia being offered a space within the next DSC convention. Maybe right next to the bar?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9868 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Andrew, you need to come to Dallas instead of where you went this year. Lots easier to get to, and you wouldn’t have to deal with the snow...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reasons I joined had nothing to do with obtaining any sort of financial benefit.

+1. I am also a life member and am very happy with their pricing structure for my entry into the show.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go to the show because I want to. I don’t even think about the price of admission.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Thanks for listening, Dr. Scott. I'm sure you guys will come up with the best possible solution. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’ve always wondered why members don’t receive a discount or some sort of recognition for entrance fees to the show.
What am I missing?

No roasting but a bit of info...if you are interested,simply volunteer for any of about 20 committees, your volunteer credentials allow admission to all four days of the show. We have volunteers from all over, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New Zealand, all over.
If you think you might want to volunteer next year, PM me and I'll get you set up with the right person. As to members paying admission like the general public, it is after all a fund raising event. Glad you came to the show.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We were lucky that one of our friends managed to reserve three rooms and offered one to us.

Jorge, that's part of the problem, some people book numerous rooms anticipating friends taking the rooms and it doesn't work out so many times in December they give the rooms back, that's why there are often rooms available right before the convention...just not at the "block" rate.

Karl Evans

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’ve always wondered why members don’t receive a discount or some sort of recognition for entrance fees to the show.
What am I missing?

No roasting but a bit of info...if you are interested,simply volunteer for any of about 20 committees, your volunteer credentials allow admission to all four days of the show. We have volunteers from all over, Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New Zealand, all over.
If you think you might want to volunteer next year, PM me and I'll get you set up with the right person. As to members paying admission like the general public, it is after all a fund raising event. Glad you came to the show.

Obviously my post was rather vague.
To be clear, I’m not looking for a discount for admission to the show.
I’ve just always wondered why members were treated no differently than non member guests. In the 10 years that I’ve been going to the show no one has asked me if I’m a member or if I’d like to be a member.
I just think we could sell more memberships if we offered the new member a discount to all future shows and/or swag bag or some sort of recognition. Once you’re in the exhibit hall we all look the same.

I love DSC and think that the organization does many good things for hunting conservation.
This is just an observation from a supporter.

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
We were lucky that one of our friends managed to reserve three rooms and offered one to us.

Jorge, that's part of the problem, some people book numerous rooms anticipating friends taking the rooms and it doesn't work out so many times in December they give the rooms back, that's why there are often rooms available right before the convention...just not at the "block" rate.

Karl, we've been doing this for years and we've always, always had the three rooms we booked for all four nights filled. Otherwise, we would probably not gotten in. I can, without reservation speak for myself and my other friends (you know them all), we'd be perfectly willing to pay in advance to help DSC out.

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been to DSC many times but am not a "member" as I am aging and not sure how much longer I will be able to hunt. I have told virtually everyone who will listen that the price of admission to DSC is more than worth it just to view the fantastic art work!
Regarding the hotel issue-this year I only made a day trip from San Antonio which I won't do again-too much time in the car for my arthritic joints. IMHO the Omni and the Aloft are the bomb if you want to stay overnight as anyone can walk to the hall. If the either hotel is having issues with cancellations then make those two "put up or shut up", in other words when you make the reservation you pay in advance and non refundable. Just my $.02.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drj:
I have been to DSC many times but am not a "member" as I am aging and not sure how much longer I will be able to hunt. I have told virtually everyone who will listen that the price of admission to DSC is more than worth it just to view the fantastic art work!
Regarding the hotel issue-this year I only made a day trip from San Antonio which I won't do again-too much time in the car for my arthritic joints. IMHO the Omni and the Aloft are the bomb if you want to stay overnight as anyone can walk to the hall. If the either hotel is having issues with cancellations then make those two "put up or shut up", in other words when you make the reservation you pay in advance and non refundable. Just my $.02.

I flew up for the day, beats 5 hours each way in a car. And by the time arrived back to SAT, I did not have to worry about my blood alcohol content.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the either hotel is having issues with cancellations then make those two "put up or shut up", in other words when you make the reservation you pay in advance and non refundable. J

I like that a lot! tu2

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:
I flew up for the day, beats 5 hours each way in a car. And by the time arrived back to SAT, I did not have to worry about my blood alcohol content.

Airplanes don't stop at Buc-ee's.

HSC Life
SCI Life
NRA Patron

Posts: 6 | Location: Houston | Registered: 11 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1!

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian_:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesheltonj:

Airplanes don't stop at Buc-ee's.

Hijack continued:
I for one will never trade with Buckees again

https://www.chron.com/news/hou...n-gator-12934353.php

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DuggaBoye: If this is your only reason not to patronize Buc-ees you need to do more research. I know for a fact that the owner of Buc-ees is "pro gun" and "pro hunter", and several years ago when some of the oil companies gave him sh*t for lowering his gas prices he gave them his middle finger and bought his own refinery. Helped me and a lot of other Texans.