THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    What Inspired You to Journey to Africa and Hunt the Dark Continent?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Inspired You to Journey to Africa and Hunt the Dark Continent?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Reading that Client article set me to thinking.

I grew up reading the tales of Capstick which were serialized in Outdoor Life before his book "Death in the Long Grass" was published, I was enthralled by his tales. Watching movies like "The Last Safari" and "Hatari" didn't help but only fueled my addiction.

When I finally made my way to Africa I was somewhat underwhelmed. Wide open spaces were carved into concessions, hunting had become nothing more than a business no different than the locals in Harare or Lusaka who approach your car at an intersection (with a broken stop light that never worked to begin with) to sell you counterfeit sunglasses or a scrawny chicken, and professional hunters who are mostly disengenous and nearly always self-serving salesmen looking for their next booking. Toss in the slimy third party booking agents and now you have a legitimate modern industry that's less honest than a good whorehouse but slightly more so than the average used car lot.

Yet we put these PHs on a pedestal and worship them as some sort of royalty when in reality what they do is no different than the guide in Wyoming who guides you to an elk or the guy in Canada who steers you towards a moose. We as hunters don't help matters when when effect an upper-class English posture and ape the old English landed gentry bantering about amongst ourselves terms like "cheers", "proper", "sort it out","make a plan" and all the other ridiculous affectations that are ubiqituous both here on AR and elsewhere. To be quite frank, Americans come off as looking damned foolish when they attempt such an absurd charade. You're not English landed aristocrats so stop trying to appear as though you are, it's just stupid and you look like fools when you use such jargon. I understand though that it is all a part of the sales pitch and such behavior is encouraged because it feeds the fantasy that sells hunts.

Here is a pic of what the industry attempts to sell us but is far from what we actually buy. The African hunting industry is all smoke and mirrors that uses romance and history to sell a product. There's nothing wrong with that and there's also nothing wrong with understanding what it is they are doing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an Australian, it's impossible for me to ape the manners of an English aristocrat Big Grin

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Capstick!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Capstick!

Good answer, me too!

I just hate all the pretentious foolishness. You've never been pretentious or foolish, nothing in my post was directed at you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting in my grandfathers lap as he read JA Hunter, Ruark, Osa Johnson Elmer keith and others to me when I was 3,4,5 and 6 yrs old.

Almost forgot--the novels of H Rider Haggard---

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
In order:
My mom's books she used to draw from: Taylor, Lake, Hunter, etc.
Capstick
Mark Sullivan's video: Black Death
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
having a great library in town. I read Robert Ruark, and that led me to Selous, and the rest in 1959.

I was ten that fall, and reading set the hook...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, this got me thinking about that thread about not making friends with your PH.

In the late 70's, we needed a secretary, and approached one of the employment agencies.

They sent us a lady, and we employed her.
I met her husband, and again, we found that we like sea sport.

So we went skiing together using our boat.

He gave me DEATH IN THE LONG GRASS.

That was my introduction to Capstick, and going on safari in Africa.

I got into partnership with her husband, and we are still good partners to this day, over 40 years later.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66940 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started going to Africa to hunt because I had great difficulty finding lion, leopard, and elephants in my backyard. That was about all the inspiration that I needed, but I am sorta simple that way.

Wink

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I don't come from a hunting family so was never introduced to it by my dad or other relative. What started my interest in Africa and hunting was Wilbur Smith. Later I read a few of Jim Corbett's books that gave my hunting interest a kick along. Not long after that I met a girl (Who I later married) she had some land and a Slazenger .22. After I shot my first rabbit I was hooked.

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
Went to Africa in 1995 to attempt to win a $1m dollar bet. Immediately loved it and have had some great times there but the place has gone steadily down hill.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Growing up in Ethiopia with only a catty!

First with my "African" rifle in 2001.

First kudu in 2005.

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capstick!

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Capstick, Hunter, Patterson, Roosevelt, Selous, even Jim Corbett, though he wrote of other places.

And Sportmen on Film. Every New Years eve we would go to the movie rental store (remember those?) and rent enough hunting videos (VHS in those days) to last till morning.

My dad and I would watch them all night. Anything on Africa usually got a second viewing.

I went to Africa (Namibia) for the first time in July of this year. They sold me nothing I didn't expect, but I got far more than my money paid for.

You take the good with the bad, and go hunting. If it were all roses, there wouldn't be any stories to tell.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it was Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" on TV as a child. Who remembers that show? And reading Petersen's hunting magazine all the time too.

Then I saw Mark Sullivan's - BLACK DEATH video when I was 18, in 1990 and it was all over for me. 5 yrs later at 23, I was on my first safari.

My whole family was so concerned, that my mommy - actually called my father, and told him that he needed to forbid me from going, really??? My father was like, he's 23 and paying for it all himself - not much we can do Judy.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had been paying business debt for years & when I realized I was only a few months from having it ALL paid off, I started wondering what I could do to celebrate.
About that time I was watching a hunting show & they were in Africa. The host started talking about how you could hunt Africa for about the cost of a guided elk hunt.
That did it for me.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
You should have stopped when you were ahead . . . after you finished typing the subject line of the thread and before you went into a rant. Fortunately, it appears that the subject line is about as far as anyone got anyway. Oh, and for me . . . Capstick.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For me it was a lifelong dream fueled by all the books, movies, and TV shows. Never gave much thought to making it a reality until my son pitched the idea. I was hooked! Besides his mom was never going to let him go alone, even if he is grown.

Posts: 13 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 20 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Upton O. Good
posted Hide Post
I grew up reading the Africa hunting classics, too, but I never thought of myself as one who would ever make the trip. Through a series of events I decided to travel to South Africa to bird hunt and see the country. My outfitter was planning my trip and asked me "What do you want from your trip?". I told him I wanted to see the country, learn some of its history and meet the people. If we could mix that in with some bird hunting, that would be a great trip.

Suffice to say he provided me with a full and complete experience. I stayed with residents in their homes, ate at their tables, spent time with their children and friends. I traveled around Northern Cape and Eastern Cape, saw some incredible countryside and started to learn the history which I had pretty much ignored other than the hunting part. And I did take a couple dozen big game animals in addition to doves, pigeons, sandgrouse, and waterfowl.

The point of this, I guess, is at no time did I ever imagine it would be anything close to the Africa described by the classic hunting authors. Too much time has passed and too many people now inhabit the earth. By the same token, hunting elk and deer in our West or moose and the great bears of Canada and Alaska isn't anything like it was in the 1940's, 50's or 60's either.

My trip to Zimbabwe was different in other ways but just as incredible. I stayed with a Zimbabwe national for four days and toured the area which included paying respect to Cecil John Rhodes tomb and hearing the story of his burial. I also had first hand exposure to why Africa will likely continue to erode into the pit of terrorism and tribal warfare.

Very little exists in the world as it did 60 years ago, I knew this and was not disappointed in my expectations. I would have loved to have seen Africa as Ruark saw it but it would have taken several months to see what I saw in three weeks.

I love visiting Africa, meeting the people, black and white, and hunting the wonderful animals. But that is changing, too. I have friends in both countries now and I worry about them.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I finally made my way to Africa I was somewhat underwhelmed. Wide open spaces were carved into concessions, hunting had become nothing more than a business no different than the locals in Harare or Lusaka who approach your car at an intersection (with a broken stop light that never worked to begin with) to sell you counterfeit sunglasses or a scrawny chicken, and professional hunters who are mostly disengenous and nearly always self-serving salesmen looking for their next booking. Toss in the slimy third party booking agents and now you have a legitimate modern industry that's less honest than a good whorehouse but slightly more so than the average used car lot.

Yet we put these PHs on a pedestal and worship them as some sort of royalty when in reality what they do is no different than the guide in Wyoming who guides you to an elk or the guy in Canada who steers you towards a moose. We as hunters don't help matters when when effect an upper-class English posture and ape the old English landed gentry bantering about amongst ourselves terms like "cheers", "proper", "sort it out","make a plan" and all the other ridiculous affectations that are ubiqituous both here on AR and elsewhere. To be quite frank, Americans come off as looking damned foolish when they attempt such an absurd charade. You're not English landed aristocrats so stop trying to appear as though you are, it's just stupid and you look like fools when you use such jargon. I understand though that it is all a part of the sales pitch and such behavior is encouraged because it feeds the fantasy that sells hunts.

If you are that disillusioned with African hunting and think that most on here are mindless dolts or wannabes, why the hell do you take the time to hang out here?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i was really into hunting sheep when i became a board member of the local sci. everyone else was into africa and gave me the itch.the rest is as they say history

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
For me it was Mutual of Omaha's "Wild Kingdom" on TV as a child. Who remembers that show?

Singing the theme song right now in my head. Marlin Perkins was pretty interesting, but Jim did all the work as I recall. I loved that show.

from wikipedia: "During his time at the Lincoln Park Zoo, Perkins joined Sir Edmund Hillary as the zoologist for Hillary's 1960 Himalayan expedition to search for the legendary Yeti." and "During a rehearsal of Zoo Parade, he was bitten by a timber rattlesnake, one of several bites from venomous snakes Perkins suffered throughout his career (over the years he was also bitten by a cottonmouth and a Gaboon viper)."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing my first Tarzan movie when I was 7 years old.
67 years later in 2013, I made my first safari to Namibia.
I've got a bad case of "I've got to go fever".

Mauser

Posts: 193 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SquirrelNut:

[

Not sure how many times you have been to Africa. But sounds like you were pretty disappointed!

1)Hunting areas in most African countries have been cut up into blocks for many, many years. The Africa of TR is long gone....(I guess we were all born too late). The Hollywood movies "Last Safari" & "Hatari" were made in the 1960s. Most of Africa was already "Carved into Concessions" at that time. It was not the old Africa, and most filming was done in National Parks.
2)Tourist safari hunting is a business. Period. True, we love hunting, but's also our income & livelihood. To compare PHs & Outfitters to people "selling chickens or sunglass in a road" is frankly insulting.
3) If you found your PH was "Disengenous, Self-serving Salemen"....maybe you just need to find a better PH? BTW: What business are you in??
4)If you find booking agents "Slimy", well there are some "Slimy" ones and some real honest ones (just like every other business). A solution for you: go to SCI convention, book direct with a PH/Outfitter you like & trust.
5) To compare the entire Safari Hunting Industry to "Whore Houses" and "Used Car lots" is just plain insulting. Everyone is entitled to a opinion....even a dumb one!
6) Most all the clients who have hunted with me over many years, I don't think any worshiped me (I certainly hope not), nor ever tried to compare me to Mr Granger. They all apparently came to experience the sights, smells & sounds that is Africa: the people, the wild beauty, animals, trees, birds, the danger & excitement, and some just to collect some wonderful trophies!
Other than your first paragraph...the rest of the rant had nothing to do with your title: WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO JOURNEY TO AFRICA..."

Posts: 353 | Location: tanzania, east africa | Registered: 27 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:
by Bwanamrm

If you are that disillusioned with African hunting and think that most on here are mindless dolts or wannabes, why the hell do you take the time to hang out here?

I have to agree with Bwanamrm on his take on the above thread! Bwanamrm, who posts very little on AR, but when he does he gets a lot of meaning in damn few words. I can certainly vouch for that point from personal experience! Big Grin

In answer to the title of this thread!

I have been enthralled by all hunting, and double rifles from about the age of six or seven years of age. That had nothing to do with any book by anyone but was by the stories told to me by a man who had been to Africa, and introduced me to the mounted animals and his double rifle in his Hardware store in the little central Texas town where my grandfather traded.

Living on a ranch and going to a little one room country school back in the 1940s I had no access to African hunting books, and never even read one till I was 20 years old. I was already hooked on Africa and double rifles by the age six or seven years.

............................................................................................ BOOM....... holycow

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Theodore Roosevelt and WDM Bell.

Africa is what it is and that's not bad.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The history (and mythology) of African hunting is part of the package and appeal. Do I get my Walter Mitty on when I go? You bet! I acknowledge it, and relish it. I may not look anything like Stewart Granger, but I can dream. You can visit Ruark's Africa, but only in books. That's what books are for. That does not, for me anyway, diminish the romance that is still present in safari hunting.
Thanks for posting the photo, it made my day.

[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well said Marty. Hope all is well with you and Sue this Labor Day.

Mike

Posts: 21211 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me it was Jack O'Connor. But then again, he inspired me to hunt deer, pronghorn, sheep........ lol

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never did read the Africa classic writers, growing up. I believe that TV, what limited exposure to it I had growing up, had a large part. I'd have been better off if I hadn't gone the first time. Can't seem to get her out of my system.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
I can vaguely remember watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and The American Sportsman as a child, I think that's what got me interested in hunting in general. What peaked my interest in Africa was looking at old Weatherby catalogs a few years later, like age 10-11, that really made me want to hunt kudu and buffalo. 25+ years later I've got both of those and a few others hanging on my walls? dreams can come true.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I consider my 1st PH, Joof Lamprecht as one of my greatest teachers. While I respect him, I do not idolize him, nor any other human being.
We have not kept in touch, but he would certainly be welcome in my home as well as Thierry Labat.
Not out of any hero worship, but because I like them & enjoy their company.
I always hate to hear that someone got scammed or just had a bad safari, but I do not believe that it is always the outfitter nor PH's fault. Some people are just hard to please or complete assholes themselves.
Africa beckons me & I miss her dearly. If that were not the case I would save my money & my time & use them elsewhere.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never thought possible....until an uncle who had been several times said...I should consider it, Let's GO!!!

My son and I did...and we've never been the same tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapstick!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wilbus Smith!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Svinejakt:
Wilbur Smith!

Posts: 1089 | Location: Norway | Registered: 08 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was inspired by a family friend who grew up in Kenya in a time when you could still shoot yourself out of bankruptcy by following the ivory trail. He loved Africa for what it is and not what it was in the past, despite living through the most monumental upheavals in African history. His infectious enthusiasm for hunting wasn't much influenced by the advent of 4x4 and fences. He passed away before I could seriously start hunting but I have no doubt that my hunting experiences in modern, dark Africa would still enthral him.
I have met all kinds of PHs from the useless to the excellent, from bad to good, just like people in all walks of life. I should have shot only one of them, he tried to seduce my wife. But then men like that are everywhere, get over it.
The Americans I have met were by and large very decent guys, they were all spending their own good money and having huge fun doing it by hunting Africa.
99% I would have around a campfire again.

My 16 month old twin girls were overwhelmed this past weekend checking out warthogs and meerkat around our bungalow, the 5 year old was sorting out the hyena tracks. If you were underwhelmed I really don't get it, sorry.

Posts: 398 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was growing up in South Texas, all my grandparents lived in the same town. My mother's parents lived very near the the levee on the Rio Grande and later on a resaca (ox-bow lake). I liked visiting because I could shoot and fish.

My father's parents lived in town. My grandfather was a great saltwater angler and taught me a lot about that, but there was not much to do visiting them at their home. My grandmother (my father's stepmother) gave me a leather bound copy of TR's African Game Trails to keep me out from underfoot. I still have what is left of that book. That was the start of the addiction, at a very early age.

As soon as I was able to earn my own money I started buying other books by Bell, Selous, Hunter, Corbett, etc. Capstick came along much later, but I have all of those as well. Then Capstick did his reprint collection of old titles and I obtained all of them. All the while, I was collecting additional books, both on hunting and history. That continues to this day.

I finally made my first trip in 2004. I waited far too long, but it is addictive and will continue as long as I'm able.

Posts: 10008 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Corbett India
Ralph Young Alaska
Patterson Tsavo
It took me until 47 before I had enough money to do Africa
Well worth it

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
I ventured to Africa the first time simply chasing a greater adventure than I could find in North America.

I didn't even know who Capstick or Ruark were until I got to Africa the first time. The young PH I had told me of the tall tales.

I really think you guys are taking the OP's post too literally. I chuckled a bit reading it.

Cherrio' Wink

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote