THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feeding Problems - Model 70 Classic - Advice?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
I have just purchased a Model 70 Classis (from Gander Mountain) and before I gave it a solid workout I sent it off to a small local shop to have 3/8 removed from the stock and trigger work done. Thus it is probably not returnable. It is also slated for a trip to the Alaskan bush this next September.

That said, it has a problem not feeding properly especially from the left side of the stack. Except for the very first round (which feeds from the right) the rounds are not being picked up by the extractor thus it is acting muck like a push-feed - not what I wanted. Then, rounds from the left side are sort of hanging up and not releasing from the magazine well smoothly and definitely not "controlled".

With few exceptions, I must fully seat the round in the chamber to get it extract the round.

All problems are pronounced when working the action slowly.

All that said, should I sent this rifle to Winchester or to good smith that can take care of these problems in a reasonable time frame at a reasonable cost (what is reasonable?)?

I do plan on adding a Williams extractor - would a stiffer magazine spring help? Where can one get such a spring?

Any and all advice/recomendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What caliber is it?

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
It is a 30-06, and it is one of the new stainless Classic Featherweights.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a 338 stainless model 70 that would not feed.I had the factory send me a new spring and follower.The new follower they sent was composit not metal like the one that came with the gun.That solved my feeding problems.Mine also rusted like crazy after I used lube one to clean it with.I will now stick to Rugers they feed right and dont rust.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Verify the magazine follower is three inches or so long. With the follower in the full up (and empty) position, push it down from forward of center, then release. It should come back up to rest position. If it locks down in front, then there's another issue.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Classic Stainless in 7mm Rem Mag, and it feeds very smooth thumb

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Mo
posted Hide Post
I have four Mod 70's and have never had a feeding problem. The 375 I bought 2 weeks ago was a used one that had been tinkered with , I sent it back. I have nothing but good things to say about Winchester's

Posts: 237 | Location: Ga. | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jaywalker:
Verify the magazine follower is three inches or so long. With the follower in the full up (and empty) position, push it down from forward of center, then release. It should come back up to rest position. If it locks down in front, then there's another issue.

Jaywalker

Well, the follower is 3 an 7/16s long. When I try this little test the follower does hang up in front. What does this mean?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If either the spring or the follower (or both) are not properly installed they will snag/bind and do exactly what you are describing. This is true on all non-removable magazine bolt actions.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redlander:
quote:
When I try this little test the follower does hang up in front. What does this mean?
Your magazine spring might be sliding loose in the floorplate. When you pushed down in front, it sounds as if the spring is sliding backwards. This is apparently not uncommon.

Check yours by opening the floorplate and seeing if the spring is loose in the floorplate.

I fixed mine by removing the magazine spring, and increasing the size of the dimple - hammer and nail - that is supposed to prevent it sliding around. Don't go overboard - it needs to be able to slide into position.

If that's the problem, and the bigger dimple fixes it, then the cartridge should present itself the same way each time, and, with luck, it'll be the right way.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, I going to try the suggestions and then I'm going to put in a call to Winchester once the holidays are over.

I've got a .375 H&H Stainless Classic and it appears to have textbook controlled feeding. That is why I was a little surprised with the '06. I'm also thinking the spring may be a little weak.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
A USRAC rifle that doesn't feed. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

CRF doesn't mean anything if the thing wasn't put together correctly.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote