New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: AR/AH SCI Reno Meeting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My buddy and I will both be there Wednesday through Friday. We are leaving to come home on Saturday. We will look for you at 3:00 at the Barnes booth. Dinner somewhere sounds like fun. It would be nice to put faces on some of the names on this board.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Blast, I'm only going to be there on Saturday. Have fun, y'all, even without the thongs. Is that what I meant to say?????

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friday, 3:00 pm, Barnes booth, .....it's in the Day Timer! I'll be the one with the thong over my ears, ... can't miss me!

~Arctic~

Posts: 277 | Location: Yellowknife, NWT, Canada | Registered: 13 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
What! No men in thongs? I thought you guys were all adventurous and brave souls.

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I'm new on AR, I'll be at Reno for all 4 days. would really like to meet some fellow members, count me in on Friday at 3:00, I'll make sure I get my self over to the Barnes booth. Looking forward to seeing everyone there!!

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there as I have in the past. There are a helleva lot of folks on this forum, but it seems that only about 5 to 10 folks show up. I would like to meet and place some faces with the names on Accurate Reloading. Maybe we should consider meeting at one of the "Corner Beer Joints." I always wondered why someone at these bars did not serve some African beers such as Castle or Bollingers. I think that they could sell a semi trailer a day there.

Thanks,
HOOT

Posts: 790 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve:

I will most definitely try and make it, I will be there for four days....

Hey Ann.... I know a couple of dudes that will show up in thongs if you make it worth their while..

Regards.... Jim P.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be there

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
BTT and testing new SW.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Barnes booth 3:00pm Friday. Sounds like the plan.
Russ

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will see you there.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Ah screw it...I'll show up...

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Ah screw it...I'll show up...

That's it. Mike's showing. We have a quorum.
Smiler .

Now we just have to figure out where to retire to for beers. Looks like it'll be fun.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I plan to be there. I'm making so many appointments I better start writing some of them down.

Cheers

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
BTT...

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. I will look forward to meeting everyone at 3PM on Friday.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Lets see. Sweden Reno 12 hours flight, 9 hours time difference another hour for transfer gives about 11 am and to be on the sure side I will leave home about 10,30.

Count me in I will be there and I'll bring Owe the viking. (Seriously... but we will leave Swqeden a week earlier to visit N'gagi in LA also Smiler )

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Holly and I will be there for all 4 days. We'll look forward to the get together at Barnes' booth. Last year only 3 of us showed up, Hoot Murray, Old Sarge and me!

I hope we have a better showing this year!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me why the photo is not appearing in my signature?

NRA, GOA, & SCI Life Member
www.scilowcountry.org

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Not sure I'll try:
 [image]http://www.scilowcountry.org/images/forum_signature_photos/mwpleopardphoto.jpg[/image] 

[image]http://www.scilowcountry.org/images/forum_signature_photos/mwpleopardphoto.jpg[/image]

Nope still doesn't work. But the image shows up when I put it into my browser. Weird...

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll stop by the Barnes booth 3pm friday to say hello.

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rats. We are doing the show Wed/Thur and the custom gunmakers guild show on Friday. I like the idea of also meeting at a local pub. Some one pick a venue and time for tossing a few back.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friday 3:00 at the barnes booth -
God willing and the creek don't rise - I'll be there.
Terry

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Is anyone bringing their wife or girlfiend? My wife is wondering if she'll be the only one besides Kathi.
P.S. If you bring your wife AND girlfriend you're crazier than I am.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Is anyone bringing their wife or girlfiend? My wife is wondering if she'll be the only one besides Kathi.
P.S. If you bring your wife AND girlfriend you're crazier than I am.

My wife Lisa is going to the show. She's not a hunter, at all. I joke that she'd be a board member of PETA if she hadn't had twenty years of indoctination from me. Given that she enjoys the show and has been twice. Now I can't go without her. She'll probably make the 3:00 meeting. Two years ago she was the un-official photographer.

Two years ago a few of us hooked up for dinner that evening at a joint across the street (can't remember the name of the place). Any suggestions for a place to get a beer that afternoon or dinner that evening?

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yea, the beer joint across the street, say about 5pm. Let's make a plan. My wife is coming also.

Posts: 677 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VFR1

What day are you talking about??

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I was there 2 years ago at the place out in front of the convention center. If I remember correctly, Mike, Alan, you and I had dinner that night. I plan on being at the Barnes both on Friday. See you all there.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
David,

I know of that place, a restaurant, steakhouse I think. It always was quite busy, don't know if that would be a good place to go.

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Would that be The OutBack Steak House?

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9365 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
Kathi,

I don't think it's a Outback. It was right in front of the convention center, on the same side of the road. It was that old western look but more crowded, (dividers and walls) then a outback....

Widowmaker416

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David:
Steve, I was there 2 years ago at the place out in front of the convention center. If I remember correctly, Mike, Alan, you and I had dinner that night. I plan on being at the Barnes both on Friday. See you all there.

David,

That's the place. Had a great time that night. Maybe Alan will show again Wink . I looked a my Delorme Street map and the place might have been the Liberty Belle.

We can meet there again for dinner or someplace else. Kathi suggested Outback. It's just up the road a bit. If that works for everyone, I'll get a head count at the 3:00 meeting and make some reservations.

Look forward to seeing you again!

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Come by the Tuffpak booth (202 to 204) and say howdy!
We will have a little show special for you.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Harry,

I luv ya...still tryin to sell tuffpaks...

Nothing like a pure salesman...God Bless ya

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10057 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife will be there - unless she schedules something at the hotel spa.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
BTT.

The thread keeps getting religated to page two. Want to keep this in everyone's faces to make sure that we have a big turn out. Big Grin Roll Eyes Big Grin

Any other suggestions for dinner/drinks Friday night?

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I'll help you out Steve, that's a good idea, keep it fresh in everyones mind!
I'm looking forward to putting faces on these names

Widowmaker416

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
All,

The funniest thing about this group getting together is to watch how non committal everyone is about making dinner plans...LOL

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
All,

The funniest thing about this group getting together is to watch how non committal everyone is about making dinner plans...LOL

Been there, done that , eh, Mike? Smiler

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real question is who's buying first round.