Find
Notify
Tools

Steve Button Custom Metal Work
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted
I posted these photographs over in the BB Forum – Terminal Bullet Performance thread but thought they deserved to be posted in the Gunsmithing Forum as well.

I contracted with Steve Button to complete a M98 Mauser in a .500 caliber cartridge about 15 months ago. Unfortunately for Steve…I’ve changed the specifications regarding the cartridge, the barrel, sights, etc. during our many discussions over this past 15 months. Additionally I sent Steve a 2nd action a couple of months ago to match the actions work on for a .423 caliber cartridge. Anyway that’s my disclaimer and I’ll stand by it.

But…that’s not to say that Steve has been sitting on my metalwork waiting for everything to arrive in hand. Steve sent me 6 photographs to show the – I’m thrilled here – custom scope bases that he build for me…with a folding peep sight build into the rear base. I’ve selected 3 of the 6 photographs to display with this post:

Needless to say I’m extremely pleased with how they’ve come out.

Steve has polished the outside of the receivers (both are commercial FN M98 Mauser action from the '51-'52 era) – above the wood line (my decision), installed the Wiebe’ square base bolt handles with Burgess style knobs as well as three panel engraving on each bolt knob. The first one action has a Satterlee Left-Side 3-Position Safety and a Blackburn steel trigger installed as well as one of the Minox 1.5-8x32 rifle scopes that I’ll be using.

Additional photographs will be shown as parts arrive and work can be accomplished…

The .423 caliber reamer – cartridge uses the .338 Lapua Magnum case cut to 2.65” length – is in hand and will be shipped on Tuesday to Steve along with the relating dummy cases for both cartridges. The .500 caliber reamer - cartridge also uses the .338 Lapua Magnum case cut to 2.65” length – is still a few weeks away from receipt and will be shipped immediately upon receipt. The Blackburn steel trigger for the 2nd rifles is in Steve’s hands and is only awaiting delivery of the additional Satterlee Left-Side 3-Position Safety for installation. Pac-Nor contoured & polished super-match grade chrome moly barrels with custom 9” twist rates are overdue and hopefully will arrive in Steve’s hands within the next 2-weeks.

Thanks to Steve for putting up with my endless delays and for the superb work!

Thanks for viewing…

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A master piece of work, and not to rain on your parade but I do not care for them as they are not very clean when the scope is removed, too many sharp edges..I feel he over engineered them unless you have caps that cover all that nice work when the scope is not on them..Just my opinnion, and believe me he is a machinest of quality and that is outstanding work, I just wonder if he has hunted much. I am betting that he could make caps to cover it all when the scope is not in use and it would behoove him to do that for you.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41858 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
A master piece of work, and not to rain on your parade but I do not care for them as they are not very clean when the scope is removed, too many sharp edges..I feel he over engineered them unless you have caps that cover all that nice work when the scope is not on them..Just my opinnion, and believe me he is a machinest of quality and that is outstanding work, I just wonder if he has hunted much. I am betting that he could make caps to cover it all when the scope is not in use and it would behoove him to do that for you.
Hey Ray,
I appreciate your comments and I have no doubt that Steve could manufacture some base covers that would eliminate the sharp edges.

That said…Steve made the bases exactly as I desired them to be.

I fully intend to use rifle scopes on both rifles first and only use the iron sights when the situation dictates. Hence the use of the Talley QD scope rings – Steve has ensured that the scope(s) can be moved from rifle to rifle with no issue other than the possibility of minor adjustment for impact. And I have multiple rifle scopes for each action ranging from 1-4x22 through the 1.5-8x32 scopes pictured… all using the same Talley QD scope rings.

My eyesight is such that I have trouble focusing on a barrel sight, a front sight, and the target and to do so takes far to long for use with hunting rifles…hence the custom folding ghost ring rear sights which eliminate one of the three variables. But using a ghost ring rear with a front iron sight is still slower for me than snap shooting with a low power scope sight… so the irons will only be used as a last resort or when the situation dictates…

I will however discuss base covers with Steve next week as they’d definitely be easier to have manufactured now rather than later.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The metal work is fine.

But should you open up the bolt and chamber for a .338 Lapua base wild cat?

Jim Borden comments

Borden Rifles

1325 Sheldon Hill Road
Springville, PA 18844
Phone: (570) 965-2505

E-mail - info@bordenrifles.com

Glenn

Posts: 200 | Location: Calgary- Alberta- Canada | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow Steve does some great looking metal work!

Keep the pictures coming as these projects come together.

Does he have a website?

Happy New Year!
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Glen,
I looked at the article you noted and agree there are both positives and negatives relating to the use of the .338 Lapua (or .416 Rigby) brass as the parent case for my two wildcat cartridges. That said, I don’t believe the negatives outweigh the positives for my intended use. And I did look very closely at using shortened RUM cases for my two wildcat cartridges.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Unfortunately Steve doesn't have a website. He does post on the AR forums as SGButton so you can PM him.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As is well known, Steve and I are close friends and he works here in my shop running the CNC occasionally, detailing bottom metal, etc.

I saw him anguish on these projects. There's a lot of features to pack into a very limited space. I suspect the "sighting channels" on the bases might be the negative that Ray is talking about.

The goal is to set the irons around 1" above bore CL...that's where the center of the arperature is!

When in the firing position (up), those channels make darn sure there's no interference with sight picture.

Then too, I've always suggested to Steve to be sure his work does not take on the look of a melted chocolate bar.

And...yes, he knows his way around a hunting camp!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
As is well known, Steve and I are close friends and he works here in my shop running the CNC occasionally, detailing bottom metal, etc.

I saw him anguish on these projects. There's a lot of features to pack into a very limited space. I suspect the "sighting channels" on the bases might be the negative that Ray is talking about.

The goal is to set the irons around 1" above bore CL...that's where the center of the aperture is!

When in the firing position (up), those channels make darn sure there's no interference with sight picture.

Then too, I've always suggested to Steve to be sure his work does not take on the look of a melted chocolate bar.

And...yes, he knows his way around a hunting camp!
Duane thank you for the information. Also I want to publically thank you for referring me to Steve to perform my metal work…his is a pleasure to work with and his work is meticulous - I am most happy with the work and the relationship. Thank You!

Steve and I spoke this afternoon while he was trying to relax for a change. Base covers will not work as they would completely block any sight picture through the peep sight. As Duane noted the channel cut into the bases is necessary to assure an unfettered sight picture through the peep sight. AND the peep sight’s viewing position – 1” above the bore CL – assures that a normal height front-sight is used…otherwise it would have to be constructed with an abnormally high blade…

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for Steve, he contoured and polished a Wiebe TG for me. Perfect
Thanks again Steve.
Bob

one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Very nice work Steve. I am a fan of peeps for back up sights. They are actually useful for hunting.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1631 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Exquisite workmanship.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
This is an old thread – but all delays in finishing the rifles have totally been my fault. That said, I thought I’d at least update with a few new photos.

I do apologize for the quality of the photos as I don’t have a “setup for photo work” – it’s all makeshift with handheld camera.

Here’s a full-length shot but photo buggers the look as the rifles are only 1” difference in overall length:

Closer look in the action area:

Yep, 3-position left hand safeties by Satterlee:

Top view of the .500 caliber rifle with three 12.7x68 Magnum cartridges in the magazine:

Top view of the .500 caliber rifle thumbing 4th round into the magazine:

Top view of the .500 caliber rifle with bolt picking up 4th round for chambering:

As can be seen, there is glass work needed to better fit the barreled actions to the stocks in both rifles. Metalwork finish also needed. Currently I’m still noodling over the metalwork finish (leaning towards Cerakote) and what finish (paint scheme) I’ll have applied to the synthetic stocks.

I do have two very nice matched pair of English Walnut Exhibition Grande blanks for future stock work; the paired blanks handpicked by Roger Varde, Victoria, Australia.

Thanks for participating…

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is his better blanks? have 2 for show and 2 for go !

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is his better blanks?
Oh no he has far nicer blanks than these.

I picked this pair because they met the needs I specified to Roger. I could have gone far 'flashier' but then I'd be afraid to take them into the field.

I gave Roger "my wants" and he searched through his blank supply and sent me photographs of (correction) over 90 blank pairs that would hold up to a .423 caliber and a .500 caliber. At least 40 blank pairs were higher graded than the two I selected.

Blank 127A will be used for my .500/.338 Lapua Magnum rifle and blank 127B will be used for my .423/.338 Lapua Magnum rifle.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I can attest that Steve knows much about fine rifles and hunting but ignore any advice he offers concerning women!

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can attest that Steve knows much about fine rifles and hunting but ignore any advice he offers concerning women

rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ForrestB:
I can attest that Steve knows much about fine rifles and hunting but ignore any advice he offers concerning women!
That unfortunately is true...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Duane I hope Steve is doing well. Pass along my 'hello' when you see him next.
Thanks,

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pehaps he'll ask Forrest for some advice...Heee Heeee!!!
faint

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Steve. He is a very good metal smith,who really cares about his work. I hope he's enjoying himself.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
With the wood stocks, are you going to do the same style forend swivel as the synthetic stocks or a traditional below the forend style?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the wood stocks, are you going to do the same style forend swivel as the synthetic stocks or a traditional below the forend style?
I'll still use the Brockman Magnum Sling Swivel Stud; I like it better than the traditional barrel or forend swivel stud.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May I ask where you got the shrouds with the left sided safety levers ?

It's not the caliber of the rifle that matters - It's the caliber of the man behind it.

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
May I ask where you got the shrouds with the left sided safety levers ?
I purchased them from Satterlee Arms, here's their website:
http://www.satterleearms.com/gunsmithing.htm

I purchased three of them; 1st was in stock so quick deliver of 1, the later order of 2 were out of stock so it took about 4 months to receive them as they're produced only in batches.

My right thumb is used to finding the Mauser wing safety on the left side so this is a more natural setup for me.

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
NECG also has left-side safety Mauser shrouds now.

https://www.newenglandcustomgu...ices/Accessories.asp

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
NECG also has left-side safety Mauser shrouds now.
https://www.newenglandcustomgu...ices/Accessories.asp
Always good to have more than one sourse. tu2

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I just can't see it in here, but just wondering who did that nice checkering on the bolt knobs?

Are there photos of the complete rifles with the wood stocks?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lindy2:
Maybe I just can't see it in here, but just wondering who did that nice checkering on the bolt knobs?

Are there photos of the complete rifles with the wood stocks?
I just checked my correspondence and notes, unfortunately they don't indicate who did the bolt checkering. I think Steve did.

No photos of wood stocks; monies are going elsewhere right now. I will update the tread in the future when the wood stocks are done.

Thanks for your interest and questions...

Jim coffee
John Wayne

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
The bolt checklering was done by Mc Farland
Thanks Duane, I'll update my notes. tu2

Jim coffee
John Wayne