New
Find
Notify
Tools

Land Rover Defenders Rule
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Okay seeing as though my other thread http://forums.accuratereloadin...871034621#3871034621 was so rudely jacked by Toyota chaps and Denfender bashers i thought that i would post this for the forum to judge.

Okay below is a pic of my two defenders, guys feel free to post a pic of yours and we will let the forum vote on it

PS - i even had a chap fly out from the States just to take a ride in my Landrover and have a pic taken of it - those Toyotas are common man

sofa

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have a 1986 Defender high capacity p/u on St. Thomas. Use it daily and have a lot of stsnding offers to purchase it.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Aubs

They say there only two things made by man that are visible from space ... the great wall of China and the gaps between the Defender's body panels!

Landrover - the best 4x4xfar. On tar.

Big Grin

Johan

One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bahati:
Aubs

They say there only two things made by man that are visible from space ... the great wall of China and the gaps between the Defender's body panels!

Landrover - the best 4x4xfar. On tar.

Big Grin

ha ha ha ha

give me a cruiser any day...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
You just can't beat the original and best luxury 4x4! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Land Rover is THE preppy, yuppie vehicle here. Most people buy two - one to drive while the other is in the repair shop.

I would offer a pic of my Toyota but the brakes just quit and the accelerator had a "runaway" and I cannot quite find it yet.

Posts: 10153 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
The Land Rover is THE preppy, yuppie vehicle here. Most people buy two - one to drive while the other is in the repair shop.

I would offer a pic of my Toyota but the brakes just quit and the accelerator had a "runaway" and I cannot quite find it yet.

jumping ya ya ya

Steve i like the wheels mate - styling but wont do in the bush mate, would look like a car out of a horor movie where lions attack poor tourists and scratch the living *^&(#W@Q$) out of it

funny still no cruiser pics..... hmmmm.....

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mate,

She's over 30 years old..... closest she gets to bushwork is when I drive her to Botswana every year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd love to have a defender. The current ones don't meet US safety standards for a very asinine and picayune reason. Maybe some day.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
23 years old and undergoing some make-up...

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My -74 series at home.
Smiler

Posts: 189 | Location: Near the arctic circle, Norway | Registered: 14 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
You just can't beat the original and best luxury 4x4! Wink

I SEE ITS WASHED FOR A CHANGE I THOUGHT IT WAS A BROWN JEEP jumping

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 404WJJeffery
posted Hide Post
The Defenders were sold in the US for just a few years. I test drove one and almost bit on it.

Now they are around only as used and command a premium price. I believe used with 50,000 plus miles sell for more than they sold for new.

A used one will run you $40,000 these days

"Are you gonna pull them pistols,...or whistle Dixie??"

Josie Wales 1866

Posts: 1489 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I had to hijack. I love my 79 FJ40, but would love to have a 70 series Cruiser. Too bad they can't be imported to the US economically. The Defender 90 was imported from 1994-1997 or so and $35,000 is about the cheapeset you can find a decent one.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't own a Defender, but I do own a 1996 Discovery. If the Defender is no more reliable than the Discovery, I wouldn't want one. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the looks of ALL Landrovers. My Disco has great looks, great coachworks and body styling, nice interior, and a good engine. But the electrical components are total junk and constantly breaking down. (I've had to replace the fuel pump 4 times - twice in one year, and the power window motors are junk too.) My Disco has spent 1/3 of its life in a repair shop or sitting in a non-running state in my driveway. All the other Disco owners I know say the same thing. You would think that Landrover would fix this problem and get better components so they can get rid of their "unreliable" reputation. They ARE handsome vehicles and fun to drive, and if I was rich and could afford the constant repairs I'd own a whole fleet of Landys. But I need a car that will start every time I turn the key. My African PH owned a Toyota Hilux before he bought his Toyota Land Cruiser safari truck, but never owned a Landy due to the bad reputation they have. Toyotas are just more dependable vehicles, hands down. I'll only buy another Landrover if they fix their reliability problems. I'd still love to see some more photos of Defenders on this thread, because I love looking at them.

Posts: 282 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sidepipes on a Wagoneer!!! I guess the fuzzy dice and curb feelers fell off!!! Bet it has those "bounce" hydraulics in the chassis? WAY COOL !!!!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love that four door P/U photo'd in the OP's post. I would buy one of those right quick.

BTW, my wife drives a Range Rover. The electrics are now fine and the car has been reliable with no issues for two and a half years.

I guess like Jaguar, they ditched to Brit electrics and went US or German.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jorge400
posted Hide Post
There's nothing wrong with a Land Rover provided you have a proper "wench" to get you out of what ever jam it gets you into.

"...Africa. I love it, and there is no reason for me to explore why. She affects some people that way, and those who feel as I do need no explanation." from The Last Safari

Posts: 839 | Location: Cumming, Georgia USA | Registered: 17 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Rudi,

Leave my baby alone..... she likes to look all shiny like that..... and you just might also offend my Roger o Matic!!!!! Wink

Biebs

The only non standard items are the wheels, sidepipes, a few go faster bits (mostly Edelbrock) and OME underneath.

When I start it in a car park with cars either side of it, the exhausts set the alarms off on the neighbouring cars. rotflmo

The only thing they did wrong with the Waggy was not market it properly. When you think they launched their auto 4x4 with air con, cruise control, power steering & all that comfort so many years before the Range Rover came along.... and yet RR claim the first luxury 4x4!

JPK,

Those double cab L/Rs cost a bloody fortune! Good vehicles as long as you don't have to sit in the rear seats for too long.

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
You guys would probably laugh me out of camp if I showed up in mine! Can't say how they will be now that it is "Government Motors" but this old girl is going strong, 284,000 showing on the clock since new in 1990. I just may grow to like it!

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Landcruisers rule worldwide, the trannys in the Landrover's are known to be weak and problamatic.
I drive a 1979 FJ 40 here in the states, it has had an engine upgrade to a 3.3 Cummins diesel mated to the newer H55 five speed Toyota tranny. When I die I told my wife to lay me in it an set it on fire.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I had this Land Rover that didn’t leak oil. I complained, and I took it back to the dealership and their mechanics worked on it until it did.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer. Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil!
A Land Rover doesn´t leak oil, it marks it´s territory. Did you hear about the man whose Land Rover didn't leak oil? The factory took it backand worked on it until it did.
Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night? They all look the same. " - "He replied, "It does not matter which one you use, nothing happens !"
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
>Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
"I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
A friend of mine told everybody he never had any electric problems with his Lucas equipment. Today he lives in the countryside, in a large manor with lots of friendly servants around him an an occasional ice cold shower...
Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators
Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant..

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ChetNC
posted Hide Post
quote:

When I start it in a car park with cars either side of it, the exhausts set the alarms off on the neighbouring cars. rotflmo

At luan's, I heard a rumble in the distance but didn't see any storm clouds. Everyone laughed and said "Here comes Steve!" I thought they were having me on but sure enough, 10 minutes later, you and Susan arrived! Cool

Posts: 348 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 03 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine is high up in L.R back in U.K, and according to their records 47 % of Land Rovers ever built are still running.
I`ve had series 3`s, Dicovery and Range Rover and no more problems than with other vehicles.
I`ve had 2 Mitsi Shoguns, and will never have another, 1 was 1 year old and snapped crank shaft.
The next one was 6mnths old and the valves packed up at very inopurtune moment (when the pistons were coming up) Mad
I must admit I`m not sure if I want another Range Rover now its owned by an Indian company Roll Eyes
Whats left for the U.K to sell now?

Posts: 203 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never met a PH that liked the Land Rover over the Land Cruiser.

Personally I own a '94 Land Cruiser ("G" wagon I think the Afrcans call them) I love it. I bought it with 133,000 miles on it. Would I have bought another vehicle with that kind of mileage? No. It runs like a top, burns no oil nor does it leak oil, it's still tight and noise free. Consumer Report loves the new ones except for the price. They are just great vehicles. Range Rovers not so much!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about "stock" factory vehicles, not heavily customised "specials", a shortwheel based Defender is probably has the best off road ability of any 4x4 in its class.

That said, I find the drivers seating postion very uncomfortable, and Land Rovers never did reach the reliabilty of the better Jap 4x4's.

These days, most modern 4x4's on the civilian market are just too complicated, hi-tec and generally yuppified to be considered true working/hunting vehicles.

Santana produces the PS101, in effect a low tec copy of the Defender, but from talking to a couple of people who've owned them, they are not even as reliable as a Land Rover...

As to the comment that 47% of all Land Rovers are still on the road, what hasn't been mentioned is that they are stationary on the road! Big Grin Wink

Regards,

Peter

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could live happily with one. The areas in Zimbabwe we went thru (at speed) my last trip would have taken out more than 90% of the competition in about 30 minutes...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having both, and both for a reason...

Land Rovers are POS.

Loveable POS.

Land Cruisers are reliable.

Dull, boring, soulless machines.

In tricky terrain, without mods, a Landy is definitely much better than a LC.

And with a proper Japanese engine, Land Rovers become decent cars Big Grin while even with a Land Rover engine, Land Cruisers would just become boring POS (although I'm not aware of anyone having been stupid enough to try that!) Big Grin Big Grin

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pete E:
If you are talking about "stock" factory vehicles, not heavily customised "specials", a shortwheel based Defender is probably has the best off road ability of any 4x4 in its class.

Peter

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XL. Heavier duty running gear, bullet proof injected 4.0 liter straight six (2006) and earlier, selectable locking diffs front and rear and a 4 to 1 transfer case. They are pretty much unstoppable Oh and y9ou can buy parts for them and they won't cost you an arm and a leg to buy.

I don't know if it's better but I'd be willing to bet that it is an equal or better in capability and more reliable. And it's pretty darn comfortable in the front seats the rear seats however are for midgets only.

I really enjoy mine and it is a going SOB.

One of Us
Picture of Karl S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Friend of mine is high up in L.R back in U.K, and according to their records 47 % of Land Rovers ever built are still running.

The story I heard is that 80% of Land Rovers are still on the road.....
The rest has at least made it home!

Peter E, I agree 100%, I think the British does not have balls, that is why the seating is so upright with locked together legs in a LR.

Me, I'm a Cruiser man. Here's a pic for old Aubs...
When people WITH brains go on safari...:

Karl Stumpfe
Ndumo Hunting Safaris www.huntingsafaris.net
karl@huntingsafaris.net
P.O. Box 1667, Katima Mulilo, Namibia
Cell: +264 81 1285 416
Fax: +264 61 254 328
Sat. phone: +88 163 166 9264

Posts: 1333 | Location: Namibia, Caprivi | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I agree with Philip. The Cruiser is a great vehicle but totally lacking in any character whereas the Landy somehow has it in spades and when it comes to really hard work, the Landy still has it over the Cruiser.

An easy way to see that is just park on a steep muddy or loose rock/shale slope and then pull away. both do it but the Cruiser will have lots of sideways slip and wheelspin etc. The Landy does it with no fuss and no slipping.

Despite my loving my Jeep, the problem here in Africa, esp the more remote parts of Africa is spares availability.

One thing Toyota got right and Land Rover got wrong was the cubby box. The Toyota one is large enough but no larger than it needs to be. For years, Land Rover fitted that bloody great thing in the middle and moved the steering wheel and foot controls too close to the door to accommodate it. Think how much more comfortable they would be if the cubby box wasn't there and the wheel and foot controls were further from the door.

posted Hide Post
quote:

For years, Land Rover fitted that bloody great thing in the middle and moved the steering wheel and foot controls too close to the door to accommodate it.

These days, the cubby box is actually there to fill the space...The original idea was that space represented a third seat, sort of for "emergency" use...its a notion that was fine in the 1960's and 70's, but it should have been ditched along time ago (how many people have midgets working on their farms today?)..

LandRover could have adpoted the same front seating positions/layout as in the Disco and it would have improved the Defenders 100%....

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of martin pieters
posted Hide Post
what is the difference between a land rover and a porcupine............. the porcupine has the pricks on the outside.

The landy moto: If you hurry you get there..if you don't hurry you get there..............so why hurry?

Cruiser lover.

martinpieterssafaris@gmail.com
www.martinpieterssafaris.com

" hunt as if it's your last one you'll ever be on"

Posts: 639 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 26 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi 458

A cruiser like a bonsmara(cattle) they do the job and get it over with.

Dr Bonsma said ones i dont need to put it up on shows to prove its the best we know its the best; thats why there aint any photos on the thread. hammering

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 475 | Location: Belgien | Registered: 01 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Landrover ( roll over rover ) good for bundu bashing and thats all give me a cruiser any day
another cruiser lover

Posts: 49 | Location: ZIMBABWE | Registered: 17 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of the old story of the radio conversation between a white district game officer at base and an African game scout in the bush, that went:

Ahhh, scout to baes. Kom in ovah.

Base to scout. Receiving over.

Ahhh, scout to baes. Sah, I hev a prrroblemmm. I hev rrrolled the lend rrovah, ovah......ovah.

Base to scout. OK, we'll send a recovery vehicle. What's your position, over.

Ahhh, scout to base. My pozishun, she is arpside down sah.

animal rotflmo jumping rotflmo animal

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Not many people know that Land Rovers attempted to market a computer. Why did they stop? They could not find a way to get it to leak oil!
A Land Rover doesn´t leak oil, it marks it´s territory. Did you hear about the man whose Land Rover didn't leak oil? The factory took it backand worked on it until it did.
Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night? They all look the same. " - "He replied, "It does not matter which one you use, nothing happens !"
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
>Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices
Lucas systems actually uses AC current; it just has a random frequency.
"I have had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never had any trou..."
If Lucas made guns, wars would not start.
A friend of mine told everybody he never had any electric problems with his Lucas equipment. Today he lives in the countryside, in a large manor with lots of friendly servants around him an an occasional ice cold shower...
Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators
Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant..

You did not by any chance grow up working on Rolls Royce RB22's on the L1011 Aircraft, did you? Sounds like it, I 'knew' Lucas products for several years before realizing the corporate name was not "G.D. Lucas!"
Oh, and my wife has a 1971 Lotus - about 1 hour of driving [pleasure!] for each 2 hours of working on it.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted Hide Post
Aubs, just for you. Remember not to drool. Smiler

Toyota Land Cruiser Pick-up, 4.5 Petrol. Work rate second to none. Personally, I prefer it with an Old Man Emu suspension.

Empty, going to town. Coming back is really full and heavy. Performance guarenteed. (Mark Young & Sadie took this picture!)

Going in. The convoy stopping for a picture near Gorongoza, Mozambique.

Navigating through some very heavy, soft, wet and slippery stuff on the floodplains in Coutada 10.

Beach buggy. All the way to the Indian Ocean in Coutada 10 and onto the beach with the inflatable, for some fishing.

Lifelines. The 'cruisers are what gets us there & back, every time. This is Nhamasembe and some Croc hunters from Finland.

Let's go. The team loaded up and about to depart on a sortie.

The new bridge over the Zambezi at CFaia, Mozambique. Impressive structure!

Two seed nets and regular cleaning required. The seeds plays havoc with radiators.

Johan