Tools

Best donor M70 for a 7X57
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted
I want one.

Because, that's why.

What factory offering will convert to 7X57 with the least amount of action/box/follower work needed?

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=251570049

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about a good old pre 64 M70 action?

Posts: 549 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is one I built on an COMPLETELY unmodified G prefix Classic long action. Is the action a little long? Maybe, but not obscenely so and I can seat bullets however I like and it feeds like greased lightening. Just under 7lbs as you see it and man I would not change a thing!

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
My preference would be one of the pre-64 M70 FW rifles. Don't know which would be the easiest/cheapest to convert, but think I'd probably start with a .308 if I could bring myself to tear it apart. I've owned them in .308 Winchester, .30-06 Government, .243 Winchester, .264 Winchester Mag, .358 Winchester, and still have one in .270 Winchester. Nice accurate rifles every one of them, and fit my small-boned 6'-3" 220 lb. frame very well.

There are still Model 70 Classic FWs of the recent years available here and there in 7x57 aren't there? Seems I see them on-line ever so often in auctions or used gun sales...though I am not up to date on recent model designations. They could be calling them something else these days, but I am refering to CRF Model 70 FWs in 7x57.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, there was never a M70 Classic CRF 7x57 factory chambering.
Pre64 and post64 push feed, indeed there were such factory chambered in 7x57.

P64 7x57- albiet re-barreled and re-stocked.... Big Grin

Posts: 9434 | Location: Here & There- | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a Classic 7x57 for sale on the Kifaru forum just over a year ago and the same guy had a .280 as well.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
To the best of my knowledge, there was never a M70 Classic CRF 7x57 factory chambering.
Pre64 and post64 push feed, indeed there were such factory chambered in 7x57.

P64 7x57- albiet re-barreled and re-stocked.... Big Grin

Lovely, I have some P-64 Fwts in .270 almost identical to that. What paint is on the stock and what is the exact name of that colour?

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
McMillans standard black offering.
...and I would never bother with 7x57 again on a std. length action,when theres ample room for.. 280rem. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I would use a short action for the 7X57.. Smiler

Removing the magazine block is not a big chore...
Would then have the new chamber throated to the particular bullet that I wanted to use as my 7X57's have very long throats which I wouldn't want in a short action..
I agree with Trax in that if you are going to use a long action you might as well go with the .280 Rem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done precisely that will every non-mint Brno 22H in 7x57 that I find and by adding a 3-pos. safety to get rid of that abortion they came with and a good synthetic stock, I end up with the finest "mountain rifle" that one can hope for, IMO.

I have a 21H and a ZG-47 with stone mint metal, lovely figured wood and overall VERY cherry condition and with their short barrels, I leave them as 7x57s. I also have a Husqy HVA with the steel BM, short tube and I left it in the old Mauser round, even when Nobby customized it for me some twenty years ago.

I may well build two more .280s on minty 21 actions I salvaged, if I can afford the work by the crew in Cranbrook and this would make four such rifles on these actions.....nuts and bonkers, I know, but, I just love a light .280 with good handloads.

What are you shooting in a .280 at present?

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Using a short action / short throat brings up the subject of why not make a 7mm-08?

For several years I've had the parts to assemble one, but just haven't sent it to a gunsmith yet. Within the next year, it should be done.

It's a chrome moly LW blank #1300, a Winchester 70 short action push feed, accurate innovations stock, Williams bottom metal. I like the 7x57. I think I'll like the 7mm-08 just as well.

KB

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
Using a short action / short throat brings up the subject of why not make a 7mm-08?

KB

Because it's not a 7x57. Smiler

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

Chuck, that is a seriously nice rifle. Well Done!

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:

KB

Because it's not a 7x57. Smiler

Since it's custom, one could have the 7mm-08 barrel stamped "7x57 ballistic clone" if it makes him feel better. Wink

KB

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Okay for the .280 nuts, In addition to the factory blue/walnut .280 I already have, a .280 project is in the works.
-A long action SS M70 to be rebarreled in .280
-Bell & Carlson Medalist Ultra-Light (has full length aluminum bedding block)
-Williams 1 piece SS bottom metal.

And not to leave out the 7mm-08 fans, I have a couple of 7mm-08s as well.

With four kids, a man can't have too many light recoiling medium bore rifles, now can he?

Now.....Back to the topic at hand, converting a M70 Classic to a 7X57 mauser, what factory caliber will be the easiest?

It is my understanding the 7X57 is somewhat of an in-between length cartridge, shorter that the traditional 'long action', but a bit longer than the short action. Hence my question.

Chuck,that is nice rifle, but I think the photo was flipped. It seems to be, gasp, for a lefty! Eeker Wink

Thanx.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree. Chuck, that is a gorgeous rifle in its simplicity.

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Duckear,
As usual you seem to have been given the usual AR runaround: being told you should not go that route because their choices are so much better.

I for one like your idea of a M70 in 7x57. It is a classic round that is a proven and solid performer. You dont need a 7 mag or per the voices here - a 280. There are a LOT of trophies on walls around the world thanks to the effectiveness of the 7x57.

In answer to your question: your best bet and easiest conversion would be to use a long action M70 in a caliber form 30/06 case family - 25/06, 270, 280, 30/06. You could use a short action but you would end up seating your bullets deep. The long action would allow you to seat out your bullets and that is a real plus if you are like me and like heavy for caliber bullets. The long action with a 30/06 bolt face would require any if any modification or rail work.

As was mentioned above: A M70 Classic Feather Weight in 7x57 was produced for a time and they can be found for sale out there. I had one a few years ago and let a good friend talk me out of it and have regretted that trade ever since. I still have a Classic FW in 6.5x55 and you could not talk me out of that rifle for anything.

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I agree. Chuck, that is a gorgeous rifle in its simplicity.

I agree too. It's a good demonstration of how the simplicity of black on stainless is very nice. It shouts function, yet obviously the classic lines of that stock are both function and form, as well as the matt black.

That brown recoil pad is a nice touch.

tu2

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not playing the devils advocate here...but I used to build a fair number of 280's. Clients with chronographs say "velocities just don't add up"

I tried a new JGS reamer and same results...velocities just weren't there. What's been the chronograph experience of you 280 fanciers?

I have found myself sort of "bashing" the 280 when inquiry is made. Now...the 280 Imp. seems to deliver acceptable performance levels.

I'm REALLY not trying to start a war..just some logical, reasonable response.

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck that's a pretty sweet lefty rifle! Makes me want to rebarrel my stainless 270 to something else... Of course it's a LH action also...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Tanker:
Duckear,
As usual you seem to have been given the usual AR runaround: being told you should not go that route because their choices are so much better.

quote:
Originally posted by Trax:
...and I would never bother with 7x57 again on a std. length action,when theres ample room for.. 280rem.

my post simply says what myself would do next time, its not saying its better for Duckear nor is it saying that it is what he should be doing now.
I myself like Duckear, began by "wanting" an M70 7x57,and have had a couple[factory and custom]on std M70 actions, however,
I always found myself pushing the little cartridge to get the higher vel. I wanted.
,eventually it dawned on me, 280rem just ended up making more practical sense.
the longer less tapered body & shorter neck 280rem case, offered me more practical cap. than "a longer throated 7x57" does.
...just sharing my experience... popcorn

How many folk recommend using a long action to allow one "to get the most out of the 7x57"...?
I feel that its inefficient to under utilize a std length action by plonking a short[er] cartridge like 7x57 in it..
The cap. of 280 rem. sure is welcome for pushing 175gn pills.

I don't know if Duckear intends to run the 7x57 at more traditional velocities or squeeze the absolute max. out of it in persuit of vel. as some folk do.

If he adamantly wants a 7x57, by all means go for it, just be prepared to sensibly embrace its limitations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe:
Not playing the devils advocate here...but I used to build a fair number of 280's. Clients with chronographs say "velocities just don't add up"

I tried a new JGS reamer and same results...velocities just weren't there. What's been the chronograph experience of you 280 fanciers?

I have found myself sort of "bashing" the 280 when inquiry is made. Now...the 280 Imp. seems to deliver acceptable performance levels.

I'm REALLY not trying to start a war..just some logical, reasonable response.

My hunting buddy shoots 140's in his 280 at 2925 and I shoot the same weight of bullet in my 7X57 at 2912. He swears by the 280 and thinks I was nuts to build a 7X57. Big Grin

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can someone find me a left hand SA Classic Model 70 to build a 7mm-08 on?

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Carolina Man
posted Hide Post
My hunting buddy shoots 140's in his 280 at 2925 and I shoot the same weight of bullet in my 7X57 at 2912. He swears by the 280 and thinks I was nuts to build a 7X57. Big Grin[/QUOTE

Chuck,
Could you post or send to me off list the loading data for your 7x57 load and your buddies 280. Yours seems a little high compared to the info in the Nosler book and your buddies seems low compared to the same book with 140 gr Acuubonds

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau

Posts: 135 | Location: Hurricane Alley North Carolina | Registered: 26 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
I want one.

Because, that's why.

What factory offering will convert to 7X57 with the least amount of action/box/follower work needed?

Great choice.

Any rifle chambered for the 6mm remington, .257 Roberts, 8x57 or 9.3x57 will feed without modification.

I would look for a good 2nd hand rifle in these chamberings and add a good quality barrel. I have seen two chamberings. The euro chambers have a longer throat for heavier projectiles and my gunsmith has a US origin short throat reamer better suited for 140 weight projectiles.

You can always find a shot out Mauser '98 that will have all the work done and just need a clean up and new barrel.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Carolina Man:
My hunting buddy shoots 140's in his 280 at 2925 and I shoot the same weight of bullet in my 7X57 at 2912. He swears by the 280 and thinks I was nuts to build a 7X57. Big Grin[/QUOTE

Chuck,
Could you post or send to me off list the loading data for your 7x57 load and your buddies 280. Yours seems a little high compared to the info in the Nosler book and your buddies seems low compared to the same book with 140 gr Acuubonds

I'm just stating where we are at. Mine is 59gr of H4350 and with a 2-3 grain increase in case capacity over the 7mm-08 I think I'm fine. Case head expansion agrees. And I'm not saying he couldn't add more powder either.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geezuz, Chuck, that is some load! Do you mean 49 grs-H4350 as that itself is a top end load with 140s in my experience with 7x75s, which entails owning about 10 of them over some 49 years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try a Tikka 695.... ??

Works well as a 2.75 Rigby Chamber, using 140 Gn NBT/Accubonds over 47.5 Gn - H414, giving 2805 fps from a 22" barrel.

Works for me anyway.

ATB

P

Posts: 46 | Location: Midhurst UK | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My load for the 7x57 with a 140 gr bullet is 49.5 grs H4350 and gives 2800fps. That just about fills the case and there is no way I could ever get another 9.5 grs in the case unless I ground it to powder.

Jerry Liles

Posts: 531 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I have had the same experience as Duane and Chuck comments.
Loading a 7x64 Brenneke and a 7x57. Not more than 50/75 f/s difference in MAXIMUM SAFE LOADS in both, with 160 and 175 grs.
I must say, useing both in standard (30-06) lenght actions. This means the OAL is about the same (in a 7x57 with standard European CIP chamber). With a 175 grs Nosler Partition as an example, the base of the bullet is at the shoulder-neck line in a 7x57. In the 7x64 the bullet goes much deeper. So the difference in case capacity is less in reality. With the 7x64 in a longer action and the standard long freebore barrel the OAL of this Brenneke could be much longer useing all the case room.

PH

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dewey:
Geezuz, Chuck, that is some load! Do you mean 49 grs-H4350 as that itself is a top end load with 140s in my experience with 7x75s, which entails owning about 10 of them over some 49 years.

Ooops. Yes it is 49. I'm not sure how you could get 59 in there. Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is another lefty M70 in 7X57. The action was completely reworked by Mark Penrod a few years ago. Had it rebarreled to 7X57 and bedded into an Echols Legeng stock in Edge construction. I absolutely love this rifle.

Posts: 38 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 21 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
If you can find a 257 Robert or a 6mm Rem in a Model 70, then just rebarrel it to 7X57 and may be lengthen the magazine by removing / shortening the spacer. In a 6mm rem you may have to shorten the extractor as well.

I have a 280 ack Imp & a 7mm 08 but no 7X57. I wouln't mind owning a nice classic German / Austrian guild gun with an octagonal barrel & full rib to match my Simson 9.3 Wink

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11250 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Chuck.

Can you post the other details for interest (stock, barrel contour etc.).

That 7lbs has me interested!

Thanks.

Posts: 224 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARWL:
Very nice Chuck.

Can you post the other details for interest (stock, barrel contour etc.).

That 7lbs has me interested!

Thanks.

The rifle wears a McGowan barrel contoured to match the Winchester featherweight contour. The stock is a McMillan Hunters EDGE, it has a Williams extractor, and the bottom metal is PT&G aluminum. The mounts are Leupold Super Low DD's and they mate perfectly with the Leupold 6X36 and that stock. I've built four of them in various chambering's and for a general purpose hunting rifle that "blueprint" is for me, so far, impossible to improve upon.

one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
BTW

The Model 70 Classic Featherweight (controlled feed) was available in .280 for a few short years. My brother owns one and likes it. If you watch for them they pop up every now and then. The light loads that I load up for him seem to kill deer sized game just fine!

I have one. As a bonus, the stock on mine is nicely figured for a factory rifle, IMO.

Part of the reason for a 7X57 is this glaring hole between my 7mm-08 and 280 M70 Featherweights........

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a post '64 M-70 Featherweight with factory iron sights that was purchased in the 1980's (?). Never shot to my standards even with tricked out bedding. Used the 7mm Mauser brass in my .257 Roberts by running it through the F.L. die. Any standard bolt face action will work for the 7mm Mauser. The cartridge itself is all anyone needs for general hunting, some things are difficult to improve on, like toilet seats. May send it off for a new Pac-Nor barrel with a 1:8" twist, then again maybe not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huntr7X57:
Here is another lefty M70 in 7X57. The action was completely reworked by Mark Penrod a few years ago. Had it rebarreled to 7X57 and bedded into an Echols Legeng stock in Edge construction. I absolutely love this rifle.

Wow, what length barrel and what contour?

Thank you.