Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting Foam Plugs
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted
Thanks to BobC I just picked up a hollow punch set from Whole Sale Tools part # 6511-9940

12 Pc Hollow Punch Set

The cost $9.95 USD

With a rubber mallet and a pine board backer you can cut enough foam plugs in 20 minutes to last you a year! Just rap and turn the die, instant plug!

I use the 9/16 for my 450/400 and the 5/8 will do for the 450 & 500 NE.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lotsa tools for ten bucks! They do work fine so far. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The set I picked up only went to 1/2 "
It was to small for the 470. My first attempt with foam was a bummer. My 77gr load of rl15 and pufflon that shot good groups at 50 shot pie plate size groups. one little change makes a big differance.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Rusty is there any risk, as the 450/400 is a necked case?

Especially with reduced loads with lighter than standard bullets, where the powder might "end" before the neck, and has to be sized down ( compressed at a moment of pressure upbuild )?

I understand it works excellent with straight cases ( 450 ) but with the neck - ???

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I use a 300 grain Hawk with the same load as my 400 grain rounds. They print better than my 400 grain woodleighs and use the same powder load. I really don't use the foam for reduced loads.

Since I like RL-15 I use the foam in my 404 Jeffery loads as well as my 450/400 3 inch.
RL-15 is position sensative and the foam/ dacron just keep it against the primer. No real preasure at all.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I alwats used either 5 grs. of Dacron or foam plugs in my 450-400-3.25" with RL-15 as a matter of course. To do otherwise would possibly ring the bore at some point, and misfires would occur...The 3" works much better and you can go either way with it..

Powder cannot get passed a proper foam plug of a proper grain of Dacron, it becomes a solid mass when the bullet is seated.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41979 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BobC and Rusty, Thanks for the information on the punch kit, I already ordered one. Most of the kits only go to 1/2 inch. I need the 3/4 for my 505 Gibbs and 5/8 for the 500 N.E.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought some lead bullets for the 470 NE from M Starling that I use in reduced loads. 500 grains has a good reduced load for the 470 that you can find through a search. That load regulated perfectly with iron sights.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No ..... mstarling posts here on AR ....... he shoots lots of cast bullets, and makes some damn nice bullets.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1584 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a blast

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I have come up short on a foam supply. What have you come up with?

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1257 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got mine from a foam factory on the east side of Houston. Cheap. Houston Foam

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, did they have any thicker sheets in the foam you found? I seat my Hornday plinkers way out, so think I'll need longer foam plugs or stick with dacron in these loads. Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I got the idea that you could get whatever you wanted. I went by their place took one of the Kynoch plugs and asked if they could make them. I was told that they could. The only thing that kept me from geeting them already made was the $300-$500 setup fee for the cutting dies.

So I asked if I could just buy sheets of the material. He brought me a sample it was the same material as the Kynoch plugs and I bought a box of 3X3 foot sheets it wasn't much.
I've given a bunch of it away and still got some.

I'd pay a visit and chat with them about what you need. Nice folks.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to see one of these Kynoch plugs. Wonder if I could borrow a Kynoch plug from somebody so I could shop for the same density foam. Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
PM me your address and I will ship you a sample of the .400-.500 version.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many Thanks Mike, PM sent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, do you have a description of the material or a stock number, I would definately order some
Thanks

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote