New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valmet 412 vs Savage Valmet 2400
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've read on this site and a couple others around the net that the Valmet 412, and the Savage 2400 are the same gun with "minor" differences. So i decided to take some picts of both to try and clear this up.

Here's some picts of my Valmet 412 along side my Savage 2400.

Top pict: Notice the differences in the shape of the actions and the protrusions through the action of the 2400...

Bottom pict: Look at the huge differences in how the action is machined. NOTHING in the top 2400 action interchanges into the bottom 412 action. The 412 is even machined to accept the 412 bbls "recoil lug" that gives the 412's a lot of strength over the 2400's.

I didn't clean anything for these picts., they have grease on them for rust protection, and in the case of the 412 bbl., i pulled it NEW, right out of the origional box for this pict...

Here are the monobloc and bbls... There's a HUGE difference in them, and you can see the recoil lug on the 412 mono bloc, and all the extra steel in them.

Top pict: Look at the difference in those bbls, there's a huge amount of steel in the 412 bbls, that the 2400's don't have. They are nothing alike...

Bottom pict: The 2400's used the "Sako" mounting system, the 412's used their own 412 mount. I have seen some "very early" 412's with the Sako mount though. (i have a few prototype bbls with it)

"I" suggested to Valmet that the double shotgun bbls "also" get machined to accept the 412 mount, and they liked the idea and started doing so... That's why you see the newer production bbls machined to accept 412 mounts...

I'm also the one who got Valmet to import double 9.3x74R bbls, as i was very good friends with the vice prez of Valmet USA. (Bob Sheridan) I talked him into bringing a couple sets back as personal "luggage" for "me" when he returned from one of his many trips to the Valmet factory. It's the only way they could be brought in, as the 9.3's weren't on there import license.

This was no small task talking Valmet into doing this, and i don't believe they ever would have done so without my urgeing, as they were 100% against it. The way i got them to do it was to "guarentee" them i'd buy the first (20) sets they brought in! I advertised them in Shotgun News and they sold out in no time at all, and Valmet who was watching, "then" agreed to put them on as regular stock! Later, Bob told me his phone rang off the hook!!!

There is lots of inaccutare info on 412's around the net, and i hope this clears up some of it...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good post, thanks!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful good. Great post.
Would love to see some photos of the mounting systems. I've not been able to see any of the Valmets with rifle barrels with scope mounts.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the QD barrel mount. Great mounts for speed. The recoil lug is a good design as well. It reminds me of a Ruger ring on my SRH. I only wish I could, for a reasonable price, find a Weaver style adaptor so I could use red dots I already own on a QD basis. A thanks would be appropriate here to DM for influencing the shot barrel mount. And thanks for the good pictures DM. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packy,
Mak Weaver & Picatinny Rail #5022-5000 from
www.Kilic-feintechnik.de could be used in the 412 although quite expensive.
There is also a much cheaper alternative for 26 and 30mm tubes, quick detach lever type mount from www.Kozap.cz/Montaze.asp It is mount #26. It fits the 412's integral base with a litle shortening of the recoil stop. I think it fits perfectly on the rifled barrels. Shotgun barrel dovetails are tapered at the front (at least on the Finnclassic 512) and the front lock of the mount half-locks on the dovetail although I do not beleive that this could create any problems.
Lefteris.

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 412's , my first was 30/06 -30/06.
I just found a Trap with 32" barrels w/ choke Tubes.

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The price is also a problem for me. I need an economical American source. DM, My 412 action looks identical to yours but with a trigger having the first shot button like the 24 shown. Strange to me but maybe just one of the variations. I appreciate both the pictures and your expertise. Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by packrattusnongratus:
The price is also a problem for me. I need an economical American source. DM, My 412 action looks identical to yours but with a trigger having the first shot button like the 24 shown. Strange to me but maybe just one of the variations. I appreciate both the pictures and your expertise. Packy

Double triggers was an option that i installed on a lot of the 412's i sold...

Personally, i wouldn't want a single trigger gun, it takes away from the "instant" choise of what bbl to use.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It slows me down slightly. As much as having a second safety. The button inside the trigger for first shot selection is in the side of the trigger itsself. Strange. At least I don't fight the inertia type trigger set. Packy