Find
Notify
Tools

Red Stag Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted
In Argentina, do different areas have different weeks for Red Stag roar? For example, Is the beginning of March good or too early? Would it be good in Patagonia but early in La Pampa or vice versa?

Does the roar make a difference in Patagonia for glassing and stalking? I have some vacation time the first part of March and the end of April, and have gotten conflicting opinions of which is the better time to go.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the best of both worlds, begin March the 15th. Please clarify your question about differences in glassing. La Pampa is very dense brush in most areas. Patagonia is a mountainous landscape.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 450/400 Jeffrey's
posted Hide Post
I have been told that in La Pampa, most hunting is stalking through the thick brush following the roar of the stags, but in Patagonia, it is more open and stags are spotted at a distance ("glassed") with binoculars and tracked/hunted from that point.

To be a little more specific, would I be better served in either area if my hunting week was early March or end of April? I cannot hunt the first part of April, which sounds like the prime time.

Posts: 142 | Location: Dreaming of Luangwa | Registered: 23 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
450/400 Jeffrey's,
If you are hunting in La Pampa the roar is very important because as you said, you are hunting following the roar. The brush is not all that thick and your visibility will be about 100 yds. The roar has been a little bit earlier every year for the last 4 years running. In my opinion you would be best served with the date that Nainital suggested (March 15). If you are hunting in an area that is heavily hunted you will hear little roaring regardless of the date.

Now in Patagonia:
You can hnt in patagonia and still be hunting in forests with visibility limited to 100 yds or less. In this case the roar is very important and in my experience again the 15th of march would be a good date.
If you are hunting in the more open areas of Patagonia then the roar is not nearly as important and you will do well with almost any date from March 1st to June. Often in these areas the snows will bring the big stags down in June and that ends up being a very productive month.

Best of luck.

John