Find
Notify
Tools

SCI Convention
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
I am just home from Reno and the SCI convention. Once settled in I will try to post a few pictures.
For those of you who have not gone, it is an experience worth doing once at least. Each year I am once again amazed at the many booths for firearms, hunts, books, equipment, and taxidermy displays that are like museum pieces. Many wonderful and very informative seminars are also offered each day.
My advice, if one cannot make the whole show, is to go on Wednesday or Thursday before the big crowd settles in.
I visited most, if not all, the Argentine outfitters. There seem to be more each year, and there were some truly great buys at the auctions for Argentine hunts. Since I am work the show, I am not able to attend the auctions.....and just as well...as I would probably not be able to keep my hand down and would have to come home and mortgage the house.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Just waiting for your pics and report, my friend... thank you so much for sharing your experience with us... may be next year I will be there by myself !

Un fuerte abrazo, gringo furtivo Wink Big Grin!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Martin....the report would take pages. A very big show every year, this year well over 10,000 came, and on Saturday George Bush (the younger) came to the floor and gave a speech that night at the banquet.

A few pictures.....

Part of the show floor

With Don Heath (Ganyana) Bill Quimby, Kim, a buffalo biologist who works in Zim and lives in RSA, and himself

Met with Craig Boddington

Jack Atcheson introduced to me by Quimby; he is a hunting legend; google him.

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Gringo; You conviced to me !!!, next time I will be with You, I hope we have enought time to visit the shotshow too, (And the organizer did not superimpose the shows dates, like this year. Thanks a lot for sharing. Guille.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of collector
posted Hide Post
Great pics Bill !!!

Posts: 947 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 12 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats for a great work Bill. Now I´m curious: tell us something about that big elephant, is it just a sculpture or reproduces a real animal?.
Eeker

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
Congrats for a great work Bill. Now I´m curious: tell us something about that big elephant, is it just a sculpture or reproduces a real animal?.
Eeker

Ohhhh. No, Nanitial, You are confused, that, at one side of Colonel C. Boddington, isnt a elephant, is our friend Bill, shurelly he needs to visit His dentist sofa

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
Eeker

A taxidermist's work on the real thing. Some of the finest things to see at the show are the taxidermy displays and the art work. The taxidermists who display their work are some of the best in the nation. And the art, from the bronzes to the paintings are magnificent.

My favorite artist is John Banovich. These two are hard to photograph and give them justice due to their large size, but I try.

A few more taxidermy pieces....

In back of these two lions you can see a full size tree with a lion at its base. In the tree are leopards!!!!

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TMTAXIDERMY
posted Hide Post
thanks for incuding the taxidermy pics, I can never get enough of them. They have the best at SCI conventions

Posts: 138 | Location: Dardanelle, Arkansas | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote