Find
Notify
Tools

Exotic hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted
My wife and I are looking into doing some more hunting while we are here in Argentina. We live here (assigned by my Company) and are residents. We hunted in March in the south. Although we had a "successful" hunt; it was not enjoyable.
We want to hunt Blackbuck, Axis and Ciervo Dama and waterfowl and upland birds. Any suggestions? Anyone used "Caza y Safaris"? They seem to have a good reputation.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Eyyyy SFRanger7GP; what happenned with Your Stag Hunt ?...why You said; "it was not enjoyable"...some outtfitter issues? bewildered....There a lof of place for exotics, of course, most fenced in BsAs province (Thar, Mouflon, Dama, Chital (Axis), Blacbuck, water buffalo) and in La Pampa.... Regards: Guille.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Outfitter issues. I am being too nice (perhaps) but I am giving him an opportunity to make things right before I post a complete hunting report. He has already lost 6 of my friends that were going to book with him for dove.

I met the guy at the "Exposicion de Caza y Pesca" last year in Bs As. I hunted 2 times with him before booking the hunt for my wife and I. I knew he was a young outfitter and was learning, so I expected some mistakes. His prices were fair and he seemed like a good guy so I wanted to help him out. I even brought him a lot of hunting and shooting gear from Cabelas as I travel to the US often. I had caught him in a lot of exagerations (mentiritas) but I figured he was just trying to impress me.

He didn't know the area, guide or staff at the estancia and we were constantly ambushed with surprise costs. The staff at the estancia and the outfitter appeared to be playing a game pointing the blame at one another as to who messed up while trying to shake me down for more money. It made what should have been an enjoyable time very uncomfortable.

I maintain a hunting log. My wife and I compared notes and talked about everything that happened: the good, the bad and the ugly. Then we drafted a formal letter pointing out the mistakes, errors and inconsistencies that occured during our hunt. We made no accusations; just stated facts. We asked that these problems be addressed. He had been referring to me as a friend, not a client. I let him know that I was speaking as a friend and requesting that a friend make things right. He responded very emotionally and placed all the blame on the estancia (and us!). I requested that he point out everything in our letter that was not true and not his responsiblity as an outfitter, and I would make a formal apology. I told him "friends" are honest and sincere during the good times as well as the not so good times. He responded with another emotional letter saying he will make it all right. I told him it would be in his best interest to take me off his website as a reference until these matters are resolved.

So, there we have it. I am still not sure whether the outfitter is dishonest or just incompetent for lack of experience. I feel really bad about all of this because I had hoped we would have had a long lasting friendship.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
His initials aren't J.A. by chance...

Posts: 234 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
No.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello SFRanger7GP,

By your brief report, I think this "outfitter" is both incompetent and irresponsable. Just at the edge of dishonest...I hope he could make the right things. For you and for him!

Best Wishes

PH

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I think you are too flexible with him. There are no such things as "mentiritas" (small lies). A lie is a lie.

Good luck

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason that I asked about the initials was that the first hunt I booked in Argentina was through a guy with those initials and my experience sounds the same as yours. Lorenzo is right "a lie is a lie". When you pay the kind of money to have to these days to hunt in Argentina you shouldn't have to worry about stuff like that.

Posts: 234 | Registered: 17 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for right now. If he does not attempt to make things right, I will make sure the hunting world knows what kind of man he is.
Lorenzo, you are 100% right. 10 years ago I would have beat him without mercy. I meet with him next week.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt for right now.

I doubt that you will benefit....I'd look elsewhere

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
On second thought as I recall, Guillermo and Juan took me exotic hunting. They told me after I located the one I wanted not to be to anxious to mount her....and so I passed...... space

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
animal animal tu2G1

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote