New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heading South
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The decision has been made to hunt Big Game in Argentina in March/April of 2007. There will be two of us in our hunting party and both of us are very flexible due to the fact we are looking for an overall adventure rather than a specific trophy. We will be going after Red Stag and will look for game of opportunity along the way. The blackbuck looks like something we would like to hunt as well as a nice boar. Some of the sheep and rams may interest us if they are available in the area we would hunt.
What do we need to know about hunting Argentina? What suggestions do you have for someone on a limited budget getting the most out of the experience? Is the water buffalo trophy fee worth it or would a hunter be better to take the money he would spend on the buffalo and harvest 3-4 other lesser species? Part of our hunting will be done with a hand gun. Are there caliber minimums that we would be required to meet?
I could ramble on with a hundred more questions so any information that you could offer will be appreciated.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Suggestion would be to get your firearms permit from the Argentine Consulate nearest you. If you call them they will either FAX or send you the forms. You will need to send them a copies of your Passport, your local hunting license, and passport size photos.

You will then be required to list the firarms, serial numbers, caliber, etc. And a list of ammunition. Handguns no problem and my favorite is my .45 Colt Ruger Bisley.

I think they chare $40.00 for that service. Once in Buenos Aires you will go to customs and police and they will check it all out and charge you $75.00 per firearm.

I would suggest you contact Juan Pozzi and Alberto Foerster at
www.huntinginargentina.com.ar and inquire about the services. When I was with them in October, I could not have asked for any better.
You can also view their website.

Good hunting! thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Troglodyte,

Is good to hear you are coming to my nice country to do some hunting!

In order to give more suggestions in advance, it would help to know where specifically are you heading to and when.

Regarding, water buff, they could be an experience from nice to scary, they could come easily or not, giving a moderate to a highly rewarding experience.

As if it's better to pursue buff or other species, well, it's up to your personal preferences and since I understand

They are hunted (typically) in a very different scenario as you may know, and the hunt can range from shooting an old cow or worst...

Yes, we have caliber minimus. For rifles the law states 6.5mm and for handguns a .357 Mag only allowed to hunt cougar (Puma)

Please feel free to ask any questions you might need to clear!

regards, Gustavo

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Troglodyte,

Forget any other animals and focuse in red stags and wild boars.

In your case I will choose the Patagonia area or la Pampa. La Pampa is easier for pigs but hunting in the Ande´s valleys and mountains is something you will never forget.

I think the hunt will be less expensive in la Pampa but if money was not an issue I will go for red stags in Neuquén Province near the town of San Martín. The deeper you go into the Alpes the best quality stags you will find in Neuquen province, there are many in the more open and small hills before the mountains but the quality is not so good. In la Pampa province you can find also very good stags, the hunt here will be done by following the bellows or the roar of the stags, if they are not roaring due to hot weather or too much hunting preasure in the first days of the roaring season, your chances of finding one will be low because the bush is thick, in the south (neuquen province)is open so doesn't matter if they are not roaring as the place is open and you will be able to find them with a good pair of binos.

You can find blackbucks and waterbuffs in La Pampa Province but if I were you I will choose to hunt them in their "original" argentinian habitats, the open plains of Buenos Aires Province for blackbucks and the swamps of Corrientes Province for waterbuffs, you can also hunt waterbuffs in the thick bush of Santiago del Estero Province.

You can follow or not my recomendations, but this is what a local hunter will do so my advice is not try to reinvent the wheel Big Grin

Good Luck
Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Troglodyte: I think that Lorenzo has investigated deep in a bottle of wine dancing . The Alpes are in Europe and the Andes in America, which is what I guess he wanted to say. But for forgetting the plains at Santa Fe Province for blackbucks, the other data was as reliable as one could expect from Lorenzo. Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your input.
We are on a very limited budget. We would like to know what area we could buzz into, have the best opportunities available for a good week of hunting and then head back home and get back to saving up for another hunt. Is it feasible to hunt in La Pampa and then catch the blackbuck on the way back to BA? We would only consider harvesting a Red Stag if he had significant head gear and it would be unlikely that a buffalo is shot unless a affordable opportunity arose. Are there any bargains in Argentina?
What is something that we should not miss out on while we are there?

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
noooooooooooooooooooooooo
jumping

Horror sofa

This kind of distractions is like giving fresh ammo to your enemies.... killpc

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Troglodyte:
What is something that we should not miss out on while we are there?

BLACK Club!!!!

jumping

Talking seriously:

A red stag hunt in la Pampa must be something around 2,5 K icluding trophy, daily rates, etc. maybe less maybe more depending your luck.

Add other 500 bucks for your blackbuck in your way back to Buenos Aires (you can do it in a couple of days) and you will be around 3K.

I think that 3K is reasonable for a red stag & black buck hunt combo. You must go to Buenos Aires and ask to be pick up there by the outfitter. Obviously if you know a farmer or a friend of friend, you can do this hunt for peanuts...

This price is including a hunting permit that must be around 120 bucks and the deer tag that must be another 100...

What the argentinians think about this??

But I insist, for someone travelling from so long away, I will recomend doing the hunt in the south near the ANDES mountains moon, the wilderness and the views makes a BIG difference to the hunt. But here you must go to San Martin airport (a couple of hundreds bucks more) and the stag hunt alone will cost you around 3K and maybe much more depending the place, the outfitter, trophy quality, etc.

L

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
As I suggested, check with Juan Pozzi or Alberto Foerster. See what they can do for you. www.huntinginargentina.com

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
What the argentinians think about this??

But I insist, for someone travelling from so long away, I will recomend doing the hunt in the south near the ANDES mountains moon, the wilderness and the views makes a BIG difference to the hunt. But here you must go to San Martin airport (a couple of hundreds bucks more) and the stag hunt alone will cost you around 3K and maybe much more depending the place, the outfitter, trophy quality, etc.

L

Cannot agree more Cool

Hunting Red Stag in Patagonia is the right way to do it!! nothing surpasses that experience...maybe BLACK's club ( the girls, that is dancing

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote