New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 Days in Santiago del Estero Province
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm back from Argentina and anything but rested. I was able to take a Texas Dall Ram, a drop horn water buffalo, a Dorsett Ram, a fallow deer, a blackbuck, and one very unhappy red stag who collapsed right where he stood when presented with a 6.5x55 140 grain Accubond when facing me.

Taking firearms into and traveling around Argentina is a real experience all by itself. I would still take my own guns, but, it was certainly a hassle. The rules and their enforcement are quite inconsistent.

I hunted with Quebrachal Hunting in Malbren, Santiago del Estero, Argentina. The PH is Frank Lanus. Hunting is "low fenced" and very much managed. I was a little surprised and the PH was always pushing us to shoot more animals. We found that a little uncomfortable.

The food as prepared by the staff was among the best I've ever had. The ranch house contains years of hunting photographs, and is fairly comfortable. There are few niceties, as Lanus says "this is a hunting ranch, not a spa". Plenty of hot water and electricity is available 12 hours/day. The skinners/trackers/caballeros were excellent, and very much willing to help and enjoyed showing their techniques and sharing (within our limited language abilities).

One of the ranch staff is a published gun writer in Argentina. He decided to do a story on my Blaser R8 and took extensive photographs of the rifle, barrels and accessories and wrote up his article while we were there. He also did a write up on my friend's Encore handgun and hand loads.

Export of indigenous species is currently blocked by some kind of feud between the provinces or the provinces and the central government. That was a a surprise.

There were doves and parakeets everywhere. The PH noted big game was limited by your wallet, while wingshooting was limited by your shoulder. I didn't really partake as I've shot thousands of the clay variety in competition and they just didn't call to me. The parakeets are a noisy bunch, though, and eliminating a few often sounded like a damn fine idea.

My friend took many of the same animals as I, plus a huge Russian boar and a gray fox. He used a T/C encore handgun primarily, but really liked my Blaser and used it as well.

One Texas Dall died while standing up. Never saw that before. The legs just locked up and there it stood. Nothing wrong with the shots, it just forgot to fall over.

We were able to get a couple of days in BA/Tigre to complete the experience. I'd certainly be glad to visit Argentina again.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun time - but like they always say -" no pics , it didnt happen "...

Argentina is on my "soon to do" list.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fair Enough!

For some reason, the Dorsett just called to me!

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What issues did you have entering Argentina with guns? We are going again in May and have not had any problems in the past.

What's changed?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had the latest RENAR form right from the web the day before, but, they didn't like it at EZE. They said it was the wrong one and I had to fill them out again.

They took pictures of the firearms for their "database". No harm, just time.

There was a protracted disagreement among the personnel about whether or not the ammunition should (or not) be in with the firearm. In the end, I moved it in with the firearm. Moving from one locked suitcase to another seemed to make no sense to me. Naturally, it pushed me over the weight limit and I got to pay an $80 overage fee!

There was some inconsistency at the other airports about whether the guns had to be viewed or not and whether or not a signature was required.

All in all, it wasn't difficult but it was time consuming. I would do it again.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very fine trophies Rodell. What were the distances you took your shots, if you recall? I am so impressed you did this with a 6.5X55, one of my absolute favorites.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16416 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures.
I'd like to read a report on the trip, hunt and such if you're willing. Always helps us guys thinking of making such a trip.

Each of the animals shot cost more, right? That's why they wanted you to kill more of them I'm sure. How insistant were they about that?

Thanks much, glad you had a great time.
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5946 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote