THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    A hunting friend lost & alone in Argentina!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A hunting friend lost & alone in Argentina!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted
One of my best hunting buddies is a pilot and is stuck on a contract flying for some company in Argentina.

He is getting seriously lonely and cabin-feverish because of a lack of huntin & shooting talk, fellowship and oportunity.

Anyone over there that knows where the hunters meet, greet and have a drink?

PS-He has a fine Karoo farm himself, full of springbuck, wildebeest & gemsbuck so he's no green-horn......

http://www.bigbore.org/
http://www.chasa.co.za

Addicted to Recoil !
I hunt because I am human. Hunting is the expression of my humanity...

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Here are two pics on his Karroo farm. Now you can see why he's longing for Africa Big Grin

Springbuck trekking over Rooipoort

A Black Springbuck and a smile!

Addicted to Recoil !

Posts: 441 | Location: Randfontein, South Africa | Registered: 07 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Stephen,
Where is he?
Argentina is big.
If he is close ot Bahia Blanca we can shot, talk et all.
I go to Buenos Aires only a couple of times a year but I have good friends there too.
No doubts some BA friends can help too. Wink
If I can help him, let me know.
Martin

PS: Your site have growth!!! I have not been there for some time (beleg2)

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
i invite him to hunt at my farm ,besides that he can train and shoot with a group of shooting fans.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Yes, Stephen... Argentina is big! Where is your friend exactly? I am in Buenos Aires myself, and even thou I am usually at my office from 0900 to 1900, it will be a pleasure to meet a fellow hunter Wink

The karoo region is very much alike our own Patagonia (its semi desertic areas) thumb

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto Afrikaander, I´m also in Buenos Aires.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Stephen Palos:

Your mention of Rooipoort got my attention. I have hunted many times with my friends Ted Sweetnam and Sandy Cox -- as recently as 2007 -- on the huge property with that name owned by DeBeers/Anglo American near Kimberley.

Then I heard last year that the hunting rights to the place have been leased to another friend, Coenraad Vermaack.

Is this the same place?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

thanks for the responses. Sorry I took a while to get back here but I was in Cape Town for a hunting conference the weekend.

Coenie is usually based in Buenos Aires when not flying. I am going to try get him to register on AR as it would be the simplest communication channel.

Bill, it is not one of the DeBeers/Anglo properties, and lies a bit south of Kimberly. It is east of Britstown.
There are many properties in SA with the same name. Historically the farms were huge and the Afrikaner way of inheritance required splitting farms amongst heirs, unlike the English method of handing to the eldest. This lead to more and more farms with the same name and only a portion number to differentiate...

Cheers
for now
Stephen

Addicted to Recoil !

One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Stephen:

The Rooipoort I know also is a short drive south of Kimberley.

I was told that it is the largest privately owned property in your country, but while I don't know if that's true we used to drive its primitive roads for three or four days without seeing a fence.

The habitat ranged from arid desert with rough, rocky hills to riverine vegetation along the Vaal River.

Sable antelope and buffalo were reintroduced there, as well as (I think) lion.

As you say, there must be a lot of properties with the same name.

I apologize for diverting this thread, and hope your friend hooks up with some hunters in Argentina.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Palos
posted Hide Post
No sweat about the diversion Bill.

Anglo/DeBeers are without doubt the largest business conglomerate in South Africa (at one stage in the "old" SA they totalled 40% of our stock market capital!) so it stands to reason they are also the biggest land owners after the state itself.

Particularly, given their history starting with the diamonds of Kimberly in the late 1800s they own huge tracts of the land in that region and all the way to the west coast. You are truly lucky to have had access to their properties.

The Openheimers are also quite supportive of conservation and although they don't openly display it (like most people in high profile positions) of hunting too. Nicky Openheimer is in fact patron of AGRED the African Gamebird Research, Education & Development Trust. See AGRED

The particular Rooipoort I mention lies about 140 miles south west of Kimberly, and I would not be surprised if the entire region was once one big farm named Rooipoort, including the property you were on. I think it measures about 3000 ha (7500acres)

Coenie is on his way back to Argentina today, and I hope he touches base with the good folk there when he arrives!

SP

Addicted to Recoil !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Offense; but he doesn't sound either lost or alone. He might be isolated and bored though...

I was worried for a minute, thought we might have to launch an International Search & Rescue.

Semantics...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gents
I finally got access on this site after registering about 6 days ago! I am in Baries and would like to go and see how other countries hunt/shoot and experience it myself! I do not have a firm schedule and dont think i vcan venture to long away from Baries at any one time, if anyone has any ideas the please mail me direct at coenradvdw@me.com
i will gladly reciprocate a hunt in the Karoo/ South Africa for one in South America!!
i beleive ther is lot of dove/pigeon shooting around here as well, anything to get the smell of spent gunpowder!!!!
regards
Coenrad