THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Importing a rifle into Argentina--easy or not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Importing a rifle into Argentina--easy or not?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted
Gents:
I have had a desire for years to hunt 2-3 buffalo in Argentina as well as black buck. However, I'm really stuck on using my own rifles and would love to take a .600 for the buff and a .350 no2 Rigby for the buck. Different posts and different fellas write about bringing a rifle in to Argentina. Some say "no" and use a camp rifle. Others say it is not a problem. This desiree to go there nags at me often so I must find out the answer to the question from those who have been there as well as the PHs and guides who work there.
Your assistance is welcomed and appreciated.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Argentina Gun Procedures

I found the above in the South American hunting forum of Accurate Reloading. I think there was another thread on the subject but I couldn't find it. If I remember correctly, there was something about having to go in person to an Argentinian consulate for some paper work; at that point I decided I would never go because the nearest one to me would be in Chicago.

You might try posting your question in the South American hunting section for more responses.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cal, I have travelled to Argentina with shotguns quit a bit mostly because I am a lefty and I like to shoot 410 and 28. I have had no issues and there is nothing required up front if I remember but when you get there you pick up your gun case from carousel and then go wait in line to have the police check in your firearms. Then, every time you go somewhere on a different flight you normally have to have police look again. Also, they give you a "chit" and you take it to the tax desk where you pay. Seems like it is around $125 per firearm. Any good SA outfitter can guide you.

Larry

York, SC

posted Hide Post
Dear Cal:

Yes, things are not easy here. We are having elections this year and the Goverment impulse some no-sense "rules" about importing guns and others.

Anyway, if the outfitter has all the necessary documents there should be no problem. I suggest not to bring the guns to aboid delays at customs and at the RENAR office. But we still receive and assist hunters that only want hunt with their own rifle/gun.

If you are intereste, Cal, we have an very wild area where we hunt Water Buffalos and also very nice Blackbucks. My email is consultas@cazaysafaris.com.ar

Caza & Safaris Argentina
Hunting Consultant

www.cazaysafaris.com.ar
consultas@cazaysafaris.com.ar
PH: +54 11 4711-1669
Facebook.com/caza.safaris

Posts: 13 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do NOT rely on past experience . The rules have changed this year and the changes were not good. I hear they are changing again but have no idea what the new rules will require.

I have been twice this year. At best, it was a nightmare.

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Latest Hunt Report had a front page story on bringing your own guns into Argentina. Listen to Larry. Big changes, big hassle. In a word, don't. If you can't access the article, pm me your email and I will try and scan and send.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Larry speaks the truth. It very well could change with the elections on the 25th of this month (well, not immediately, but the new politicians could change things). I worked with a hunting outfitter May-June this year. Some clients had issues coming into Argentina via Bs As. The Córdoba Renar guys are more accustomed to the clearing process.

For example, one group (a guy brought a matched pair or H&H .410s) coming into Argentina via Bs As and it took three hours to clear. They missed their connection to Córdoba and everything got messed up. It was scary to find out the Renar guys were looking up the value of the guns.

The law became more restrictive this past March. One of the owners of the outfitter was in Dallas for the Park Cities Quail banquet when the rules changed. There wasn't a warning or a grace period to comply. He had clients in transit with guns as the law changed. That was a real cluster.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could be bad news. You could easily spend three hours at the RENAR office under the OLD rules, depending on who was on duty.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could just choose to hunt them in Florida or Texas...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Cal, how are you?
did you visit the country in the past?
Is possible bring guns BUT take time and a lot of pappers.

Some guys they say that you can not bring guns just because they do not have RENAR number that is one of the pappers that you have to show in the police and customs.

The hunter needs:
If it is not the first time visitor, consulate letter, I recommend all the time bring it just in case.
Passport copy
Copy of the hunt bill
RENAR number
Letter of the person that will be responsible for the gun in Argentina, we call LEGITIMO USUARIO
Authorization of person that is in charge of the ranch to bring a gun.

If you like send a PM and i ll pass you the phone number of my booking agents that we bring guns to the country with all the groups.

Thanks Martin

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

Posts: 70 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Martin:

Is the second guy Laird Hamberlin?

Posts: 11954 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir, do you know Him?

Martin Telleria
www.tsbuenosaires.com

Posts: 70 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 23 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Argentina Hunts:
Yes Sir, do you know Him?

Yes I do. He is a friend of mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds, more and more each day, that it would not be wise to take anything you wouldn't just give somebody.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote