THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Area between lakes Fontana/La Plata and the Chilean border
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Area between lakes Fontana/La Plata and the Chilean border
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I am looking into a Red Stag hunt in the area between lakes Fontana/La Plata and the Chilean border on the Andes range. What can you tell me about this area in general, and as a hunting destination.

Thanks,

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The area is wonderful you will hunt in beautiful country high mountains pines ,araucarias,huge clear lakes and rivers full of trouts i strongly recommend hunting stag in LOS ANDES mountains .PLEASE ASK ALL YOU WANT.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
From my own personal experience I can tell you that you would not go wrong to work with Juan Pozzi. I did not hunt red stag with him, but the time I spent with he and his associate, Alberto Foerster, were some of the most memorable days I have had in the field. You will not find men more dedicated and more passionate about the hunt and all that goes with it. thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Dave,
The argentinian members will know better than I. The only thing I know aboout the Fontana is that the place is wild and beatiful. I heard that because of consaguinity the deers antlers where not the best compared with other areas but from the pictures I saw from deers hunted there the antlers where with fewer "tips" but thick, I liked them.

From what I saw is a good place for spinning but a little open and windy for flyfishing. Nice brook trouts.

Good luck

Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I am looking into a Red Stag hunt in the area between lakes Fontana/La Plata and the Chilean border on the Andes range. What can you tell me about this area in general, and as a hunting destination.

Thanks,

Dave

Incredible timing!!!

Since that area is probably my place in the world!! I've been there once a year for the past 3 years, since a good and close friend of mine has a property located in the best palce, the Union River, which connects both lakes.

I wonder how and american could be interested in hunting taht area, which is almost in the middle of nowhere...

Seriously, I'm right now ( as I type these lines ) in Villa La Angostura ( a fantastic andean mountain village ), doing some preseason scouting, but I will head to Alto Rìo Senguer (the closest town to the lakes areas) in about two months, so please don't be shy and feel free to ask me anything you are interested in.

Please take into account that the area calls for woods hunting, the zone indeed is very dense and breathtaking as its senery is FANTASTIC.

This area is good for Guanacos ( lama guanicoe ), and hogs. Be prepared to long shots into th wind...yes, the winds blows permanently at about 30 mph...constantly. This is Long Range Hunting land.

Regards,

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote