New
Find
Notify
Tools

Argentina vs. Uruguay
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If you've never been to S. America but want to try either big game or bird/ducks, which of the two would you choose and why?

one of us
Picture of JohnAir
posted Hide Post
Shack,
Uruguay can offer good bird shooting and axis deer, pigs and buff. Argentina can offer that also plus red stag. It depends on what species you want to hunt, what price range /level of service you are aiming for and the particular outfitter you choose. I think you will get a better idea if you compare service providers for the species that interest you and ignore if they are Arg or Uru based. Make a short list and talk to half a dozen of last years clients that went at the same time of year and for the same species that interest you.
Good luck.
John

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Good question.

Bird shooting is nearly the same, in Uruguay there are places with plenty of doves and partdriges, also good duck hunting.

For big game I will choose Argentina.

In Uruguay we have axis and pigs but our hunting laws are not so strict as in Argentina so meat hunting is year round and there is a lot of preassure making an axis hunt very unpredictable, succes rate may be not very good. Not a problem for us that live here but for a foreigner spending a lot of money and time travelling I think is too risky.

Also I think Argentina has a longer tradition and longer experience hosting hunting clients, so honestly I would recommend you Argentina (i can't believe I am recommending them Roll Eyes Big Grin ).

For me, if I were you, I will go after red stag in the rut in La Pampa, then in my way to Buenos Aires (by road), I will try for blackbuck (not in th fancy lodges), real farms and real stalking, not shooting from a truck (my argentinians friends knows what I am talking about..).

Then I will move north for a couple of days of dove shooting.

Hope it helps

L

PD: You are always welcome to come to Uruguay once you get tired of those argentinians... Big Grin

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is either easier to bring firearms into? I'd probably be wanting to use my own. For birds either or both a Rem 11-87 and Win Model 12 heavy duck gun. Wife likes to shoot a 20 ga. If it's a "hassle" I could settle for a rental, but in my opinion a big part of the fun in hunting is using the gun of your own choice, one you like and have had great success with.

In Uruguay is most of the bird action in certain parts or states or is it spread out generally in farming country?

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Shack,

Bird hunting for partdriges is generally spread all around the country. Doves will be find mostly near agricultural areas, for example along the Uruguay river (natural frontier between Argentina and Uruguay).

It seems here is a little less crowded but I have never been in Cordoba hunting doves but it seems there are zillions of them, here are enough to enjoy some days shooting at them. For example 1000 shots per day is more than enough for me, sometimes you will be able to shoot more and sometimes less.

Those 1000 shots will be concentrated in a couple of hours during the morning and during the evening.

Ducks as everywhere around the planet need water, so you must go to our wetlands which are near the brazilian border. Lots of them.

As you see, everything is very similar between the two countries, it's the same area, just separated by a river..

I think Argentina has more and better outfitters than us because as I said before, they have experience and the offer of lodges is bigger than here. But despite that, both countries are very similar in many ways.

Good luck

Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
I am not a big bird hunting fan but have done a good deal of it in Argentina. As Lorenzo says for birds there are zillions in both countries.

If you go to Argentina to hunt, you should also visit Uruguay and Montevideo. It is a beautiful city in a beautiful country, and a try to enjoy a drive up the coast to Punta del Este....magnificent.

Guns....easy to bring to Argentina but last I heard the costs was $125.00 per gun for entry.
Check with the consulate nearest you.

Wonderful and most hospitable people; excellent food and wine.
thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would love to visit south america, too.
Do i need a guide/outfitter in both countries or is there something like free hunting?
What about hunting with dogs for cats ad hogs, do both countries allow this?
Booked to an agent here argentina is very pricy, so i would prefer to organise it myself .

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Caracal,

It's less complicated than it seems.
It depend the level of organization you want.

It's not difficult to contact a chap that can open a couple of farm gates for you to allow you to hunt partdriges (10 per day here in Uruguay)or doves. He will help you and drive you around for a good tip (I know a friend of mine from a little town that will be happy to do it).

He will host you and all that and you will be able to shoot doves, partdriges and chase some pigs and axis.

If you cover the costs (fuel, shells, food, etc) and something more to him he will be happy to do it, BUT, if you want more fancy things, the best dogs on earth, top menu, a good lodge, etc, then you must look to real outfitters that have really everything very well organized.

A countrychap can organize this for one person, maybe two, but not more and don't expect luxury or don't put preasure in the guy to shoot 1000 shots every day at doves, or to pretend a guaranteed hunt for axis and hogs.

For all that you must look for a real outfiiter that makes a living providing that. My friend is just a very funny and honest person with some little land of his own where he has some cattle. He is nut about hunting so he will ALWAYS be happy to escape some days for hunting.

He is a disaster organizing things Big Grin he will realize once at the farm that he has forgotten the glass so you will have to drink from the bottles, etc Big Grin

L

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
One more thing, the hunting permit for 5 axis cost 60 dollars !!!! but feel happy if you hunt one on one week. if you are happy with does it will be easier but big bucks are difficult.

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lorenzo
Sounds very good thx.
I will definitely visit South america in the next years.

caracal

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1K rounds a day would be more than I have ever fired at one sitting. Hard to even imagine. That would be 40 boxes of shells in one day. Definitely sore shoulder territory. That's part of why I was thinking about bringing the gas op 11-87 and the heavy 3" chambered Mod 12 to soak up recoil. Is there a limit on how many guns you can travel with? If possible I would bring three, those two and a Browning 20 ga. for the wife. I also like to have a spare in case of mechanical problems. If I'm bringing my own guns, that also has me thinking about doing bird/duck and big game in separate trips. For big game I could then travel with only the rifle.

The situation on birds you describe sounds similar to what I've heard about. I'm in a shooting club with 2K members and some go to S. America. One gave me contact info for an older couple, from England originally, who settled in Uruguay and run a farm. They apparently entertain limited numbers of shooting guests, but I get the impression it's not on a major, plush type scale...that and what you describe with your farmer friend sounds more to my liking.

Fwiw, here in the Mississippi Flyway region we actually used to have the same bird/duck populations and same type of shooting opportunities...problem is, it was approximately a hundred years ago, and today one can only read about it and the traditions that went with it in very old books...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some limited experience shooting doves in Uruguay with Lorenzo. I can tell you that it is possible to shoot much more than 1K per day. My friend from Spain, who is used to high volume shooting on perdiz, ended up with nerve damage in his hand after a few days shooting doves with us in Uruguay. And he was shooting a 12g auto.

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Hi Ed,
How are you doing ?

Poor Cesar !! Indeed that trip we really shot a lot of doves !!! There was some crazy evenings !!! One evening he must shot at least 2,000 or more...Big Grin

I still remember he was laughing loud with a crazy look in his eyes while he continue shooting and shooting !!! rotflmo

How is he ? always chasing the african big four ??

I always enjoy reading one and again the book he gave me of his friend Tony Sanchez Ariño, fantastic book !!!

Take care and call me next time you visit Uruguay.

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don´t know the Uruguayan firearms law, which I guess is a pain in the ass. Big Grin In Argentina you can´t bring in more than two shotguns, but the entering is easy.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Lorenzo,

Cesar has fond memories of that trip to Uruguay nerve damage not withstanding. He told me to say a big hello to you, Mario and Gaucho. Cesar just returned from Zim on a elephant hunt. Cesar, Marina and I are going to Zim in August. My first trip back in five years. Tony has a new book out and I will try to get you a copy if it is not already sold out. Regards, Ed. Where is Scruffy these days?

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yo, Ed !!!

In about ten days I shall be back in Uruguay hunting with Lorenzo, Gaucho, and Mario .. Even bringing my lady this time and four friends .. Too bad your buddy killed all of the doves .. maybe we can chase parrots or something ??? I would love to have a beer with you some time. It has been a while and we probably have stories that neither has heard - yet ..

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Between my work, the small baby woking up at night, and Scruffy roaming around, I am not so sure I will survive july.... ;

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you've finished your hunt and just want to go for a long drive and see the countryside, which of the two? Between Buenos Aires and Montevideo which do you like and why? And, is knowledge of Spanish necessary to be off on your own generally?

You could probably say our interest in seeing S. America extends somewhat past only the hunt.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Shack,

For a looooooong drive I will choose Argentina as it is MUCH bigger than us, here the longest road trip will be 8 hours and you will be speaking portuguese in our noerthern frontier Big Grin

Then 4 hours from Montevideo to the east and again you will be in the brazilian border, and 4 hours to the west and you will be sorrounded by argentinians...

Here is everything more calm down, and Montevideo is more safe than Buenos Aires but Buenos Aires has EVERYTHING as it is a cosmopolitan city.

We are very similar but at the same time a little bit different.

The best advantage of Uruguay is the coast, you have sandy beaches all along the coast between Argentina and Brazil.

Miles and miles of sand and ocean with very nice places to relax and to enjoy your eyes with God's best creation taking sun baths Big Grin

It will depend what you are hunting for.
For example, if you are hunting red stags during march in Argentina (Neuquén province), you will have a wonderful landscape to drive around, nice people, great food, you can even fish for trouts. And as I said, the landscape is beatiful. San Martin de los Andes, Bariloche, Villa La Angostura, etc.

In Uruguay, the best time for travelling around will be during jenuary or february because of the beaches. Also march but the water is colder so you must be very brave to get into the ocean Big Grin

But during our summer you will be only able to hunt doves and pigs.

Keep in mind that Buenos Aires - Montevideo is a 30 minutes flight or a 2 1/2 hour Ferry trip.

Nearly everyone speaks a little english down here as it is dictaded by law to teach it at public high schools. And many people study it by their own.

All private schools teachs english since juniors.

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scruffy:
Yo, Ed !!!

In about ten days I shall be back in Uruguay hunting with Lorenzo, Gaucho, and Mario .. Even bringing my lady this time and four friends .. Too bad your buddy killed all of the doves .. maybe we can chase parrots or something ??? I would love to have a beer with you some time. It has been a while and we probably have stories that neither has heard - yet ..

Good luck for your hunt.
Don't forget to post a report here.

@Lorenzo
check your pm ;-)

Caracal

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo;
I dont decided Yet..... Confused but maybe I will be with My wife some days in Uruguay on July, looking for some place to stay on summer with all My familly dancing, maybe We can share a "draft Pilsen" one night Wink beer if You are not soo bussy with Scruffy Big Grin, remember to bring Him to Hiroshima, He must meet "Grandma" Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin..... a big hug Guille.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hide Grandma this time ... I'm bringing my wife on this trip. wave Hiroshima ??? Hmmmmm ... I thought that disappeared about 64 years ago .. this August ??? Confused

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Richard,

Hiroshima is the name of a burdel (a house with many doors with a señorita standing infront each door Big Grin).

This place must have been working during at least the last 40 years. It's in the coast so during summer, many argentinean boys have "cut their teeth" there.... Big Grin

I have been told that during summer there are around 10 boys standing infront each door waiting for their turn Big Grin

I still remember once a friend of mine took his younger brother there so he can have his first sexual experience.

When he returned he told his brother that he had practised oral sex to the lady....

My friend: You did WHAAAAAAAT ??????????
My friend's brother: look, I'm not stupid, I did it before having sex with her rotflmo

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
"I still remember once a friend of mine took his younger brother there so he can have his first sexual experience."

Well, I'll be, Lorenzo, you never took me there to have my last sexual experience!!!! shocker

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is all hypothetical, of course, popcorn but would those ladies accept an out of country third party cheque ? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is all hypothetical, of course, popcorn but would those ladies accept an out of country third party cheque ? Smiler

Ask Guillermo..... jumping lol

Theodore Roosevelt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ask To Your best friend in Uruguay animal

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
They don't now what a cheque is but I'm sure they accept credit cards.... Big Grin

The woman that runs the "house" is called Naná, she must be around her 60's and she even has a book written by her about her life...

L

one of us
posted Hide Post
With my luck it would be written in Spanish and you and Gaucho and Mario would have to read it to us in the evenings after Phill and I ran out of stories to tell ... Come to think of it ... next time you guys come to Namibia ... bring it along and if the Himba chicks run too fast .. as least we can live vicariously ... Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
with a señorita standing infront each door

Also known as "doorway debutantes"...but all strictly hypothetical too, at my age...

Many yrs ago I had this pal from Rio and we talked about my visiting there and I asked what I was supposed to do about all the languages I didn't know...he'd say no problem, "just tell the cab driver (the Brazilian words which I no longer remember for beer and ladies of the evening) and you can go far on those alone".

His tactic with women in the U.S. was to say he was royalty, being closely related to the last Emperor of Brazil...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
animal clap

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Warning. If you do not speak Spanish, do not under any circumstance ask Guillermo what to ask the lady in the coffee shop. Roll Eyes

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Richard,

Man its been too long no see. I just returned from Spain wild boar and full moon and all of that. Please let me know the next time you head south and maybe I can meet up with you and the boys. Best of luck in Uruguay.. Ed