Notify
Tools

Let's Try This Again...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted
Greetings all!

In May of last year my wife and I were scheduled to head down to Patagonia and hunt with Estancia Alicura. Well, a family emergency arose the day before we were scheduled to leave and forced us to scrub our plans at the last minute.

Almost a year has passed now, our disaster radar is mercifully clear and we're (once again) slated to head South in April. So what has changed (if anything) that I ought to take into consideration this year?

We'll fly into B.A., then straightaway make the jump to our flight into Bariloche. On our way back we're planning a couple of nights in B.A.

Besides the requisite hunting gear, we're bringing sharp knives and big appetites. And an industrial strength corkscrew...

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Counting the days,

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark

I cannot think of any suggestion &/ or advice I might think you should know, since nothing new had appeared down here since last year ... nevertheless please do ask whatever you might know... if not me, any other argentinian participating here will surely clarify any doubt you might have ...

Just now, that region of the Patagonia is having a climate as hot as hell, with no much water even in the mountains, making deers (and wildlife in general) to have to go down to the lakes and rivers to drink ...

I have just spoken to my guide and we discussed the possibility of postponing my own hunting trip (I am not going to Alicura, but rather near) to the first fortnight of April (I have always prefered mid March for the hunt of the red stag, since by then is when usually the rut starts - depending on the reigning temperatures )

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
218 Bee: what Martín said. Feel free to get in touch with me if you need something in B.A.
Regards and good hunting (the corkscrew is a good idea) Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi. I just talked with a friend who is the owner of a hunting lodge in Chile ,(losencinoshuntinglodge.cl) in the same latitude of Bariloche and he told me that the RUT HAS STARTED !! More or less three weeks before a normal year. There has been a terrible drought and unusual high temperatures . In my experience , there is little difference in the timing of the rut with the Argentine side. He expect the rut will be in full swing in a week. Even the salmons has started their journey uprivers . Anyhow the red stags and fallow deer has impressive racks.
Enjoy huntig and fishing this season.
Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Have a great hunt. I will be hunting Patagonia as well this year, although a bit later than you.

I look forward to a long report with many photos. thumb

Are you going to try some fishing while you are there?

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Thanks for all the posts. I've been a skosh busy the last few days, hence my tardy reply...my apologies.

Regarding the weather...well, that's hunting. Sometimes it goes one way, sometimes another. I'm not going to agonize over it one way or another. I'm just looking forward to seeing the country! Catching the rut would just be an added bonus...

Wendell: you bet! Our scrubbed trip last year would have put as at the start of some quail hunting, but we'll be too early for that this time. Consequently, we plan on lashing the water instead! Right after I put a great whacking stag into the salt... Wink

When / where are you going?

Again, thanks to all...

Mark

DRSS

"I always take care to fire into the nearest hillside and, lacking that, into darkness." - the late Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 607 | Location: Coleman County, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I am hunting with Algar in Patagonia. Mid May.

Good luck!

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 218 Bee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
I am hunting with Algar in Patagonia. Mid May.

Good luck!

Thanks...and to you!

Mark

DRSS