New
Find
Notify
Tools

The most difficult game
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was freezing. I guessed the temperature at -5º Celsius and I had been exposed in a quite open blind for hours. Yes, this September is very strange at La Pampa Province. The gauchos told me that a very big boar was killing their lambs and goats and I hoped to rid them of this menace. By the way, the land was dry as a bone after many months without rains. However, I was freezing and thinking on returning to a warm bed...when the big beast appeared, silent like a ghost in the twilight. I couldn´t even raise the gun with my cold hands before the killer disappeared again. I was hunting from a blind over a waterhole some 40 meters away, with only five meters or so of open space. End of the game: Hog 1-Nainital 0.
Afterwards I heard a shot from my partner, who killed a lesser boar to bring some meat home.
Oh well, this is a very good alibi for returning, I´m glad anyway. The joy is being there, just that.
As per our late expert, Lalo Mandojana, a real good wild boar is the most difficult Argentine trophy. And a cattle killer is the best to be had. Wink

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Good on you, amigo. The best part of it all is just being out there. Freezing, sweating, waiting. And then, sometimes a big bang, and sometimes....well you had that one. But you were there, that's what counts. Wink

I know about cold too. I was sitting over a rub once in Alberta, the coldest I have ever been, I was wearing everything I had brought with. It was so cold my pinchuli was about the size of a roll of dimes....30 cents worth. animal

And I never even saw the buck. I think if I had to take a pissers I could have broken off the stream and tossed it aside.... dancing I know where the damn buck probably was ....in town having a coffee

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was + 28 C here in the Great White North (Alberta) today. I wish that I was somewhere else this evening .. freezing in a ground blind waiting for a great wild boar to show ... As Edison Marshall, the great tiger hunter of yester year once said, ' The swine are noble game !' .. or something like that. thumb

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear Richard ,LALO MANDONJANA,LALO PALACIOS,MIGUEL PESCE AND MARMOLIN WERE GREAT HUNTERS OF ARGENTINA ,and they inspired me in this marvelous sport of big game ,but i consider the puma the most difficult game.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan Jaeger: agreed about the puma caught in fair chase, but I suppose that Lalo Mandojana pictured the troubles in looking for a really good hog. Like you very well know, many times we followed or waited for a big one and after killing it found small tusks or one missing. By the way, big tracks don´t involve always big tusks, the darned things are like elephants in this subject. Mad

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote