Find
Notify
Tools

Argentine monster boar
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted
This boar picture was sent to me by my pal, Nainital, from Buenos Aires. He told me that
his friend, Maurizio Vecchi, shot this boar some years ago....what a monster! He used a short barreled 375.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: thanks again for your quick answer. clap

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker Eeker
CRYBABY CRYBABY CRYBABY CRYBABY CRYBABY

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigduke
posted Hide Post
nice boar cheers BOOM

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 103 | Location: georgia | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nainital:
Bill: thanks again for your quick answer. clap

Ricardo, just for the sake of trueness, that's a cimarrón or pure european??

Sure looks like a cimarrón!! Roll Eyes

Anyway, a fantastic trophy by any standards. Cool

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ColdBore 1.0 - the ballistics/reloading software solution
http://www.patagoniaballistics.com

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:
Sure looks like a cimarrón!! Roll Eyes

Gustavo,.....I think you need a new pair of glasses Big Grin

That is as pure as we can find in our countries, we all know that there are very or none pure wildboars left. They all have some domestic blood in them despite looking exactly a pure european wild boar.

They have the phenotype but not the genotype.

The cimarrones are originaly 100% domestic but due to many years and many generations in the wild they have done a genetic return towards their wild origin. If they have any european wild boar blood in them is very little, they are just wild hairy hogs.

Something different are some of the pigs I have seen posted by Juan Pozzi, you can see they are a more "fresh" cross breed between domestic and wild boars. I think they must be common in the area near the province of Cordoba as I haven't seen them in other areas. In Uruguay we find them sometimes but they are more an accident than the normal thing. 90% of the wild pigs here (as the same than in Argentina) looks more like european wild boars than domestic ones).

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo: the boar was shot in the Luan Toro area in La Pampa Province. Like you very well know, the purebreeds were introduced there by Luro in the first years of the XXth Century. Thus there were much mixing with domestic lines. This notwithstanding, these are wild animals, as pure as you can find today.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

Yes, you are right...and probably I chose the wrong expression. I know, for sure that the hog at hand doesn't look domestic, but since the size is suspicious then my question to Ricardo.

I guess that the assertion by Ricardo is probably the best answer. At least for me looks like a crossbreed.

I have chased many hogs, some them very pure and as many others can affirm they don't grow that much.

Maybe in Uruguay due to the some radioactive materials (byproducts of the cellulose plant) they grow much bigger!!! dancing

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustavo:
Maybe in Uruguay due to the some radioactive materials (byproducts of the cellulose plant) they grow much bigger!!! dancing

rotflmo animal

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gustavo: some years ago a friend of mine guided a Mr. O´Farrell, who shot a boar weighing 270 kilos on the hoof. I´ve seen the pictures and this boar shot by Maurizio seems a dwarf against that.
Unfortunately, I only can rescue some of these pictures, which are pinned to a wall in an estancia, the property of Mr. Jorge García of Carro Quemado. Thus I can´t post the aforementioned pictures, at least for the moment.
Also, I remember that 30 years ago a boar weighing 313 kilos was recorded and the story published in the disappeared magazine "Safari". This last "hogzilla" was indeed a crossbreed but Mr. O´Farrell´s was one of the purests hogs I´ve seen.Furthermore, the Bahía Creek area near Viedma in Río Negro Province, all the years produces one or two of these monsters, crossbreeds or not. Of course, I know that the Bahía de Samborombón area also should be "the place" for finding enormous hogs with long tusks. But I´m still pursuing my enemy, old Black Demon of El Durazno. Ah, he and Mad the pumas there wiped out the entire stock of 30 sheep.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Bill and Gustavo did you remeber the hog taxidermized in my house that i killed in Choele Choel ,this hog is smaller that it indeed ,mine has 30cms tusks and its bigger ,in that area apparently the boars are pure russian boars althgou nobody can assure that .On respect to the area of la canada and mar chiquita where we hunt yes there are huge boars but they have feral boar blood ,in Malbran where we hunt too there are 50 and 50 ,but in SAN CRISTOBAL Santa Fe they are 90 percent feral or domestic they are called caracoleros because they eat snells .On respect to Bahia creek hogs there are different all coastal hogs are dark black long hair big size its origin domestic hogs from the spanish settlers.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan: please post at once the picture of your hog with tusks measuring 30 centimeters. I´m eager to see it, that´s the equal of a 200-plus pounder elephant!! Eeker Eeker Eeker

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The photo of it is in my website in who we are ,the credit of this hunt is to my wife grandfather at 83 he stayed with me all the nigth in the PATAGONIA in july waiting for this famous hog i only shot it but he put me on it when we skinned it we found bullets of 9mm ,pellets a slug etc ,Bill has a photo of it ,then we killed some giant hogs but are 80 percent domestic in SAN CRISTOBAL SANTA FE area .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for the sake of comparison, you may look at two boars: the first one from Iran and the second from Ukania. The second shows something like wool, which I´ve also found in La Pampa Province during the winter. By the way, both hogs are very, very big in anyone´s standards.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
My argentine piggie resting peacefully

Gus & Lorenzo,

Que pasa Feliz Navidad

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike!

Good to hear from you again!

BTW, nice boar and seems to be a very pure good one!

Hope to have you down here again, let us know!

Merry Christmas Smiler

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Ricardo. How about one of those big guys with the cuchillo? lol

And Mike, good on ya! thumb

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill: I´m no knife expert, but one of these was killed the last year in San Luis Province, after shaking off eight dogs (not all of them dogos it should be noted). The boy with the knife didn´t realize at the moment the kind of trophy he got.
That hog was aged at 23 years old and his front foot was as big as mi closed fist, it missed a toe thus the beast was easily recognized. The tusks were stolen, I believe.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Ill send the photo of my boars to bill so he can post it ,i have the tusks too,i killed it with my old cz308 and winchester silvertips .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
Ill send the photo of my boars to bill so he can post it ,i have the tusks too,i killed it with my old cz308 and winchester silvertips .Juan

I am not sure if this is the one Juan was referring to, but he will post a reply and explain this 350 kilo monster......

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
No this isnt the boar ,this is a giant boar killed in my farm but its a feral hog that caused a lot of damage to the croplands in the neighbour farms we killed it with 5 shotgun shots and 3 40sw shots and the aid of my dogos one of the lanhuel seriously injured by it.The boar im refering was killed in the patagonia in ChOELE CHOEL specifically .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Thats a huge pig!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Round ears...look for round ears.
Cross breeds have more pointed ears.

Also straight tails, a kind of wool under their hair during the winter, big heads, smaller and thinner in the back, no pink or clear spots in their noses or hoofs, etc, etc.

L

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo. I am hardly an expert, and I agree with you on the straight tails, but I have seen photos of pure Russians with both rounded ears and pointed ones. bewildered

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
bewildered

Maybe yes but for me....
Take a look at the pig that started this topic and at the one Mike Detorre posted, both very pure and both with rounded ears, but there isn't only one truth, many many times I have been wrong assuming something as correct for years to finaly discover that I was wrong so maybe rounded years are not exclusive to pure european wild boars. But for me.... Big Grin

L

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As said by Lorenzo the ears say a lot.The hogs we take here in Louisiana and in Texas most often have ears that stand erect and are more rounded.The ones we took in Argentina near Juan's farm had longer pointed ears that flopped over instead of standing erect.Looked not to far removed from the feedlot.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Mike Pickering see the boars taken by Bill Berlat dont you think they have mostly russian blood ,besides that its true that in my area Santiago Buenos Aires and Santa Fe the hogs are mostly feral indeed in San Cristobal dont have Russian blood at all but the importance for knife or pistol hunters is the agresivness too Bills boars almost killed Esquel.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Another big boar was killed 4 kms north of my farm near a farm of willy s friend where we saw the puma with billinthewild it was a female and weigthed 340 kilos was killed by a patient of mine.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Carajo!!! 340 kilos. You should take that hog to that man who has the small restaurant we went to the one night. He could make enough sausage and salami to feed an army. nilly

Theodore Roosevelt

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
It was a sow of domestic blood it was killed near the farm where we saw the puma in a flooded cornfield ,there were a lot of hogs there .The patient show me the photos ill go next week end.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Europe pure wild boar top out at around 250kg or 500lbs.

The one in the original photo looks pretty pure, but as I think everyone agrees the 340kg pig does not.

Posts: 98 | Location: Vale of Clwyd, North Wales - UK | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
The second pig wasnt russian ,its only a feral pig of great size and incredible tusks that injured badly my dogos .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA