Find
Notify
Tools

Red Deer and 9,3x62
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
Recently posted this in another international forum.
My very recent Red Deer, March 31. A somewhat rough hunt, abrubt part of the Andes. Full rut, some 8 deers roaring out of sight. Suddendly this one appears at 300 meters below us. Shoot at 250 meters aprox, (red circle) broke the spinal cord but the deer fall 50 meters downhill stopping in an almost imposible place...! Took 2 hours to clean the "trap" and get the meat, legs, shoulders and backstraps.
Rifle BRNO ZKK 600 9,3x62 Zeiss Victory 1,5-6x42 Ret 4. My own reloads with SAKO cases, R15 and RWS H-Mantel 258 grs at 2650 p/s. Cero at 200 m. Deadly! As usual, the bullet pass but leaving an impressive inside damage.
The knife outstanding!!! Bark River 1,25 Lt CruWear. Field dressing without any touch to the blade. Better than expected.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a nice stag! Hunting red deer in Patagonia is a hunt I have always wanted to do and I hope to do it in the next few years. Beautiful country. I also shoot a 9.3x62, it is a great cartridge.

Thanks for posting about your hunt.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I can see it must have been quite a task retrieving your stag in that terrain. That's the sort of country I would enjoy. I have been in similar recovery situations several times but the thrill of the hunting to get the stag makes it worthwhile.
Congrats on a well earned stag and on your straight shooting.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2013 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, indeed 30.06king!!NZ has some rugged terrains, I know...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot Cape Buffalo, Bison, PG and elk and deer with the 9.3x62 with a variety of bullets including the bullet you mention., which I have a supply of btw..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats.

i ve shot my share of red deer with 9.3x62 and oryx and partition bullet, in those days i prefer oryx.

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote