New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in Peru
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Do any of you know about hunting opportunities in Peru? If so, what do they hunt and what are the seasons. I have done a few searches on the internet but have come up with very little.

THanks,

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Landrum,
I worked in Peru in the Jungle for 12 years, 1980-92. I have never heard of any commercial hunting companies or guides. Peru is basicially a poor undeveloped country. It is a place that I really like and the people are GREAT.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keith

My wife is Peruvian and I visit Lima on a fairly regular basis. Since I go there fairly often, I was hoping to perhaps find some hunting opportunities. Oh well...

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Landrum,
My wife is also Peruvian and I also travel in Peru often. Small world.
Regards, Keith

Posts: 208 | Location: S.W. Wyoming | Registered: 31 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know there is some duck hunting to be had on the coast. Evidently great cinnamon teal hunting - possibly as good as anywhere for that species.

John Cornett at Classic Sports books it: http://www.classicsportsint.com/CSI.trips/Peru/Duck%20Hunting%20Peru.html

A friend of mine has done the hunt, and raved about the number of teal. As I recall it was a REALLY hard trek to get to the shooting each morning.

Brant

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps you may want to look at my previous post in this Forum, titled "Whitetails in the clouds".
Regards

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Landrum:

The SCI Record Book of Trophy Animals lists these animals as indigenous to Peru:

Jaguar (Panthera onca peruviana)
Puma (Puma concolor)
Spectacled bear (Tremarctos ornatus)
White-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus goudoti and peruvianus)
Marsh deer (Blastocerus dicotomus)
Peruvian huemel deer (also called taruca) (Hippocamelus antisensis)
Dwarf brocket deer (Mazama chunyi)
Northern pudu deer (Pudu mephistohiles)
Collared peccary (Tayassu tajacu)
White-lipped peccary (Tayassu pecari)

Red deer (Cervus elaphus), European fallow deer (Dama dama) and feral boar (Sus scrofa) also have been introduced to Peru and are free-ranging in some parts of that country, according to Jack Schwabland, author of the SCI Record Book's text.

A number of the country's native animals are listed by CITES and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service as endangered or threatened. I suspect only the puma, white-tailed deer, dwarf brocket, the two peccaries, and the introduced species could be hunted legally, but that's only a guess.

If I were you, I'd try to find a knowledgeable person in a gunshop of sporting goods store the next time you're in Lima. Most countries, even Third World countries have national wildlife agencies. I'd track down Peru's and see what is needed to hunt and what can be hunted there.

If you learn something, let us know.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote