Find
Notify
Tools

How To Make An Asado?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted
This probably isnt the right forum to post this - but I would like instruction on how to set up a typical asado . Not the expertly designed and built permanant type in the yard , but the done-in-the-field type. Specifically the vertical , wide-spread lamb on a wire rack sort.

I have the wood , and the time and no shortage of sheep to be the star attraction. Just dont know how to go about it .

Anyone care to help?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm not South American, but you're really overthinking this. An asado really means two things, first, cooking meat on a fire by various methods, and second, a get together, party, which may or may not have other ceremonies associated with it, a la gaucho.

Many asados are simply done by what we would call grilling over flat grills on a fire. Most are served with some kind of green salad and wine.

AFA your doing an asado, as you mentioned, all you need is a spit of some kind. One of the more common one in Argentina is simply made of flat iron strips, riveted or welded together in a cross or double cross with a sharpened end to stick in the ground. Double meaning the cross bars are about far enough apart to help hold, spit or wire the meat on it, such as a whole lamb, whole rib cage, whatever. Making some good chimichurri sauce would be a plus. Most of the meats I've seen cooked this way in Argentina are usually rubbed with salt and put on the spit to cook. Many are cooked too well done for my tastes, but to each his own.

Punch in Argentina Asado on google and you will see many pics of the cross spit. Variations include one that will clamp the meat in it (probably safer to prevent the meat dropping, but somewhat harder to make).

If I wanted the same result and make it a bit more hands on, I'd use the old American West spit, which can be as simple as 2 supports with Y's or similar on ends to hold a spit, that has an double L on the end for a handle to turn it with. Better is supports with multiple levels so you can raise or lower meats. I think this would be easier to make than the cross spits but might take more attention while cooking.

There's a thousand ways to arrive at cooked meat like you want but the asado as you want one is not hard, you just have to use a shovel to adjust the heat of the fire you've built if you're cooking thicker cuts of meat.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: Found this which has more details.

http://www.meatsandsausages.com/barbecue/asado

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Interesting link, Gatogordo. They mention "leaning" the meat spit to 45 degrees, but most of those look much closer to vertical to me. Maybe Dr. Pozzi will chime in here.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
If you give it a bit more space it will cook slower and through...I have done many goats that way..I break them open and put a piece of rebar across the rib cage, then a rebar lengthwise..As Goto said there are many ways.

I let the mesquite wood burn to a white ash and then set the rebar stick at about 45 degrees and I can change that as I see fit while its cooking, but the slower it cooks the better, more so on goat than lamb, lamb needs to be a bit on the rare side, but not much..

You can do the same thing on a flat grid. I have built a fire let it burn down and put a wire grid on a couple of cinderblocks and rubbed the goat or lamb down good with an oil then added lots of salt and pepper, and its great. Or use bar B Q sauce if your tastes lean that way...

I love to go the Mexico, particularly Reynosa, across form McAllen, Tex. where they have several resturants that have a big circle fire with goats cooking in a circle, they serve the meat on a piece of brown paper, give you a bowl of frijole beans, some onion, Jalapeno, tortillas and A Tecate beer with Lima, and sometimes a shot of Tequilla, and your on your own, Damn it just doesn't get any better than that.

If you take a first time guest for goat, have them down 3 or 4 shots of Tequilla, the goat will taste great by then..I think goat, like Menudo is an acquired taste or so it seems, but I wouldn't know, been eating both all my life, and I prefer to lamb I think. dancing

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I am thinking a small goat this weekend might make a fine first try. Have the wood , have access to wild goats , and have the time so why not .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, that joint in Reynosa sounds very interesting. I'm not a menudo fan, but could learn to eat more goat. It's sure good in a genuine Greek gyro.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
I am thinking a small goat this weekend might make a fine first try. Have the wood , have access to wild goats , and have the time so why not .

No reason why not, but if you're planning on serving guests, I'd suggest you start with lamb. Don't get me wrong, I love cabrito (cooked goat, usually young), but many people find the flavor a bit strong.

If you're going to use goat, I'd suggest having some barbecue sauce for the uninitiated goat eaters.

Goats have gotten so expensive in the US that you can't afford to eat them unless you prefer goat to steak which is about the same price.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, how was the goat?

xxxxxxxxxx