New
Find
Notify
Tools

Impact of volcanic ash in fauna.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For almost two weeks the eruption of a volcano has affected the people of Patagonia and in far away places as Australia and New Zealand .Was wondering how this will affect the local fauna ( and flora , etc) in wonderful places like San Martín and Bariloche. Hope this catasthrophe will end soon and with minimum impact in the environment.

Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Flora & fauna will surely be affected, how much is pretty too soon to determine (the Puyehue is still smoking, so the damage will increase even more Frowner ) Wild animals will migrate not only looking for safety areas but also to find food - ashes are covering everything, in some places reaching a thickness of more than a yard (meter)... livestock has a bleak future....sheep are dying almost on their tracks: with the rains, the ashes within their wool become into a type of "cement" resulting in a weight that bend these animals down till death, not to speak about the millonaire losses caused not only to regional economies but even worse to the inhabitants in their daily becomings...

Optimistic forecats even states that this summer will be a grey one in a once upon a time colorful patagonia...

The good news is that in the medium term (years Frowner ) these ashes are a good fertilizer for the land, the issue is how long will take to be assimilated....

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Very sad indeed for the present and near term....and I am not sure where this eruption took place in reference to, for example, Bariloche....
was that area affected or was it further south....

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Actually Bariloche is one the most affected cities (the other one in the worst list is Villa La Angostura) The Puyehue is almost at the same latitude of La Angostura (in the chilean side of the Andes) and Bariloche is south east of it (Puyehue is north west of Bariloche, some 180 km from this city)

Almost the whole Patagonia has been affected by these ashes, which have already travelled around the world...

Un abrazo, Bill !

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Martin...Ricardo just sent me photos of the area around Bariloche, Angostura, San Martin, etc.....my heart goes out to those people; what a tragedy. I never realized it was so bad until I saw the photos......in my memories they remain some of the most beautiful places I visited in your country. One of our AR members, Patagonhunter lives in Bariloche.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
How awful! Is this the volcano that erupted? This shot was taken when we were hunting with Algar in 2006. By the pictures I have seen of Bariloche, this area must be devastated.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
No, Blacktailer... the Volcano in your pic is the Lanin, north east of the puyehue

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Any updates on the eruption or the aftermath? We get almost no news coverage of this tragedy in the US. Any idea how this is going to affect the hunting around Bariloche and Santa Rosa?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not been there but for what I can read it will be difficult to hunt in Bariloche.
http://www.bariloche.org/galer...e_cubrio_de_cenizas/
This is not snow but ash.

Do not think there is any problem at La Pampa, I have been there a couple of weeks ago.
The problem for foreing hunters is that from time to time airports are closed for some days due to ash in the air.
Hope this helps.
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote