Notify
Tools

7mm minimum for Buenos aires province.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,
For hunter that will come to Argentina.
I have just find that there is a new regulation on the guns allowed for big game hunting.
It have to be bigger than 7mm, so unfortunatelly the .270 Win. is not allowed anymore.
According to El Ministerio de Asuntos Agrarios de la Provincia de Buenos Aires, (Articulo 13) : “Entiéndese por caza deportiva mayor la que se practica sobre especies mayores de la fauna silvestre, con armas de fuego largas, de cañón estriado de un calibre no menor de 7 milímetros y escopetas calibres 20, 16 y 12, cargadas con proyectiles sólidos tipo “brenneckeâ€â€.

Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Godio:
It have to be bigger than 7mm, so unfortunatelly the .270 Win. is not allowed anymore.

“Entiéndese por caza deportiva mayor la que se practica sobre especies mayores de la fauna silvestre, con armas de fuego largas, de cañón estriado de un calibre no menor de 7 milímetros y escopetas calibres 20, 16 y 12, cargadas con proyectiles sólidos tipo “brenneckeâ€â€.

Martin

Martin, I can't read Spanish, but it sounds like this rule of minimal caliber is formulated much the same as eqivalent rules in some Swiss cantons (states).

The problem with the rule is as follows: the term "caliber" is not very well defined. It can mean any one of a number of things, e.g. bore diameter measured over lands, bore diameter measured over grooves, bullet diameter - just to name a few. All of these options (and a few others) have been used at some point in time, and been accepted as "caliber" measurement.

The most common and easily verifiable definition of caliber, however, is "bullet diameter". If that is the definition used in Buenos Aires (and probably nobody knows, or even thought about this when they wrote this rule), then a .270 is indeed legal! A .277" bullet measures about 7.04mm in diameter, a .284" bullet (i.e. what we normally think of as a "7mm" bullet) measures 7.2mm. Just to make the confusion perfect, SAAMI and CIP actually specifiy different bullet diameters for what is nominally a 7mm! OK the difference is minor, but it is actually there.

Confused?? Join the club. Wink

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mike,
Im aware that the .270" is really a 7mm, but you should have to take something to measure the bullet diameter each time you have to proof you are shooting a 7mm.
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Governmental nonsense. I nonder who thought this up. Is there anything in BA that a .270 would not take down with ease? bewildered

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Godio:
... but you should have to take something to measure the bullet diameter each time you have to proof you are shooting a 7mm.
Martin

So true. Roll Eyes

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which of course should be overruled by the Ley Nacional de Caza, stating the 6.5 mm as the minimum caliber...anyway I´ve never found anyone enforcing these stupid rules. Big Grin

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ley Nacional de Caza

Nainital,
Do you know where can I find this reference?
I have looked for it without success.
Thanks
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

one of us
posted Hide Post
Martín: frankly I don´t remember but there was a previous thread on this same subject. Lorenzo posted I believe. And the La Pampa law should be different of course. clap

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Martín: moreover, ask the people at the SCI Argentine Chapter. They have all the answers, as per Martínez de Hoz (told to me in person years ago).
Regards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks nainital.
I just have found it on the decret 666/97. but both were wrong.
"rifles de caño estriado de un calibre no menor de seis (6) milímetros y una energía en la boca del arma de por lo menos dos mil cuatrocientos (2400) pies/Lb"
So the president let you use a 6mm but the governor ask at least 7mm.......... political logics. rotflmo
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have just reliced that the problem with minimium energy is wost than caliper.
2400 Ft/pounds minimum leave a lot of cartridges out, like the .30-30 Win., the 7x57mm and ever the low intecity .45-70 loads-
So my beloved Remington M14 (.30 Rem.) is now a small gane rifle.......
Martin

My doubles:
.58" ML by Pedersoli