New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scout rifle article ,by Juan
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I read an excellent article written by Juan in MAGNUM ,about the scout rifle concept .Isaw too a photo of Juan and Steven Graves with a buffalo in spanish HUNTERS magazine .
Juan was lately heavy involved in training with scout rifles and m4s carbines with spec ops personnel he trained in tactical medicine .He based most of his training in 5 letters A,B,C,D,E,.

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar professional hunter

Posts: 331 | Location: Argentina | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Marcos. I am just back from Scotland and will post photos when I get settled in. I think I e-mailed you some...if not will do so now.

Scout rifle. With all deference to Jeff Cooper, I do not like the concept. Perhaps it is me, trying to teach this old horse horse new tricks. I tried it on two rifles. A Winchester lever action in 7-30 Waters and could not get myself used to shooting with both eyes open. Sold the rifle. wave
Then I tried it on my Marlin 45-70. Same problem plus one more, and on this one I had a good comparison. I was hunting with a pal who had the same rifle. On his he had a Leupold 4x fixed scope conventionally mounted. I had a Leupold scout scope on mine. As the day wore
on and the light began to fade, I could not pick up the reticles in the scout scope. I asked to look through Dennis' and they were clear. Roll Eyes

You know that I have nothing but respect for Juan and am sure they worked well for his uses. My letters are not the same as his....

C M, SHOOT M Wink

Give himn a big abrazo for me when you next see him.... thumb

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Bill dear friend im here very busy with spanish clients ,im in Malbran, Santiago del Estero now .Im working for www.cietac.com.ar among other things we have to train the new police of BUENOS AIRES ,im teaching tactical medicine the 5 letters plus numer 1 first are 1 wacht your six before acting ,A air,B breathing,C circulatory ,D disfunction neurologic,E examination .
On respect to the scout rifles your are rigth on ligth problems ,but we can agree that if you see 90 percent o the spec ops personnelare using short ligth carbines with aimpoint forward mounted and shooting with both eyes open ,the geniality of JEFF is that he created all the modern techniques in pistol and rifle and some in shotgun too .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
Jeff Cooper take the design from the Germans Wink, like Mr. Mijaíl Kaláshnikov with his Ak-47 ( many of the AK features was copy from the German STG-44, the first assault rifle P/E; the gas recovering system , and many other parts Mad.
I agree with Ross Seyfred and of course the Great Bill "Gringo" Berlat clap, the Scout rifle is a comercial product, just another thing to sell ....BS..... pissers
I prefer a M4 or better a AK-74 with a new generation german low power scope that combined reticle for sniper shot even in the twilight zone and red dot for boths open fast shot, of course..... laser and S.F. flashlight.
The Scout during the nigth is almost useless like Handguns scopes excep for CQB with Red Points, But during the day You cant shot accurate far from 100 yards with a 4 MOA red-dot. How many Steyr Scout We see in the last conflicts ? and How many Steyr Scout.has being sold, or produce from other Manufacturers, Only the Ruger frontier bewildered A Big Hug Guille.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Dear KOKALIS the scout rifle is a concept ,as i stated in the article ,and if the carbine respects weigth and length can be autos,like the new m4s308 or6.8,lever action -the copilot-or bolt action ,Jeff Coopers like aimpoints but based in his experience ,and i agree totally with him batteries fail when you need them most,the new leupold tested by DON HEATH recently would like him a lot.
On respect at accuracy recently we have been shooting even at 200 mts with a new holosigth in a m4 of 14 inches barrel and we always hit the ipsc target and pepper.popper.
Based in my small experience competing,hunting ,guiding and in the army ,i want a ligth short rifle ,then when can discuss the sigths.
On respect on CQB you always wants to mantain both eyes open and the rifle must be as short as possible with good stopping power.
Im not defending the steyr scout as the article is called THE SCOUT CONCEPT ,and the geniality of JEFF is that he created most of the techniques of modern armed close combat ,of course many evolutionated and change ,and i dont agree with some ,example ghost ring sigth on shotguns ,GABE SUAREZ ,and another instructors think the same-Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tha scout is fantastic on most circunstance a little better than open sight at low light.IMHO
The original idea of putting a handgun scope on a rifle was from an Emer Keith friend but I can not remember his name.
I will try to find my proofs.LOL
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
As Juan said, the scout rifle is a concept, which in my humble opinion would be appreciated at its best under certain given circumstances, not every single time we might need / want a weapon for any given task we might need to accomplish...

I think we have to limit its evaluation without forgetting we have to consider it just under the scout role - not as an all around rifle...

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
As i stated in my article JEFF COOPER based his conclusions after extensive ,extensive testing,with real world experts like AWERBUCK a south african recce,TAYLOR A VIENTANM VET RANGER,GANNAWAY AN EXPERT HUNTER,CLIN SMITH VIENTNAM USMC VET AND FOUNDER OF THINDER RANCH.
The scope position is only one thing ,the iron sigths folded another,and the action he stated that didnt found a ligth action semiauto because at that time there wasnt m4s 308 .But he liked a lot the copilot.
He based his experiences too in HERBERT MCBRIDE author of a rifleman went to war -i highly recommend it-sniping experiences at ww1.
We must remember too that the german snipers used the karabiner98k K98k with Zielfernrohr telescopic sigth.-I RECOMMEND THE GERMAN SNIPER BY PETER R. SENICH-
Anybody with military ,security,hunting in bush,experience must agree that we need a short powerfull rifle to run ,or jump from a truck.BEFORE COL.COOPER was little interst in carbines and forward mounted sigths ,most CQB was done with submachine guns ,now CQB units are going to carbines in all the world ,but this will beanother article. Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Juan, I have just read your article, very good.

I’m with you, Juan, about the Scout as a concept. My .375 H&H Mag. Maxi-scout was a delight to hunt with even thou I could get only a 24†barrel.
IMHO the scout scope is much better than a open sight for most shooting and better than standard scopes for rapid shooting. The bigger advantage of the scout mounting is than you do not get into de scope.
For low light encounters (war or hunting) scout scope is still better than open sight. You must remember that when Cooper develops the Scout concept you have only open sight, peep sight or sniper scopes.

Some time ago I found this ad.
According to Cooper he began working on the scout concept in 1969.
This ad is from The American Rifleman April 1965.

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting Guys.
I am left eye dominant and could never aim with both eyes open. That is until I tried the new Swarovski Z61 EE 1-6 X 20
Man, that thing is amazing. And with the glowing reticle my eye is glued to it no problems. Aimaing with both eyes open is a whole new experience and one that I think could as you say be very fast.
Chat soon
Ian

Posts: 423 | Location: Natal - South Africa | Registered: 23 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Vlam ,every shooter that practiced CQB SHOOTING or even fast shooting at DG ,knows that YOU MUST SHOOT BOTH EYES OPEN,if you go trough a door you must cover your angle of shooting probably the left if you are the first man ,but with the other eye you are covering all the room ,in strees you have tunnel vision ,this caused many operators down .Paintball and better airsoft can aid in fast shooting both eyes open .If you can get some simmunition its good for close fast shooting.This guy in south African train intersting cqb course some with airsoft www.wolverinecqn.co.za The name is Gerald Bailey.

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
the website is www.wolverinecqn.com

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA