THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Pigsticking or hog hunting. A complete account for sportsmen and others (1889)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pigsticking or hog hunting. A complete account for sportsmen and others (1889)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted
Pigsticking or hog hunting. A complete account for sportsmen and others, by Captain R.S.S. Baden - Powell

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

I have been "googling" around for this book for quite a while...

Juan, my friend... since you are a really venturesome sportsman, what about founding a pig sticking club here in our country ? I think we are quite a number interested in practicing such sport Cool ... La verdecita pig sticking club Big Grin !!!

Of course, I am in !!! dancing

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Some more nice books on this topic:

Modern Pig Sticking, by Wardrop (1914) Cool thumb

Reminiscences of twenty years' pigsticking in Bengal , by Raoul (1893)

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Hi Martin ,Bill left my hown yesterday ,he killed a giant russian boar ,not in my farm ,5 kms to th south aprox ,we were called to terminate a big pure russian boar i suspect was originally from my farm but ill let him tell more .
LOS DOGOS CIRCLE is a circle of pig stickers ,among other intersting activities my friend.
We have been testing a lot of weapons in the bush ,hunting birds ,foxes,partriges,hares ,cats,goats etc a lot of photos of los dogos ,ill post later.
Ihave many horses so we only have to prepare the spears.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I am preparing some original spear heads with that intention in my mind !!!

Tacuaras, from some ancient cavalry regiment of our army !!

Shaft (tacuara, as they were used with?), proper needed cross piece and a boar tail as ornament Cool in each and they will be ready, my friend !!

Start preparing those horses dancing ....

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
PLEAASE I WANT ONE FOR ME ,I WANT TO TEST THEM AS SOON AS POSIBLY.Iky is getting crazy when he saw this ,he loves horse hunting too ,finish them and came as soon as you can .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by juanpozzi:
PLEAASE I WANT ONE FOR ME ,I WANT TO TEST THEM AS SOON AS POSIBLY.Iky is getting crazy when he saw this ,he loves horse hunting too ,finish them and came as soon as you can .Juan

DONE !!! Cool

The countdown has started .... huijaaaaaaaa !!! Big Grin

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
A good old image:

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Afrikaander:
I am preparing some original spear heads with that intention in my mind !!!

Tacuaras, from some ancient cavalry regiment of our army !!

Shaft (tacuara, as they were used with?), proper needed cross piece and a boar tail as ornament Cool in each and they will be ready, my friend !!

Start preparing those horses dancing ....

How good are those heads?
I have just see one on sale at $ 150.- (pesos).
Thanks
Martín

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
How good for what ?? Confused

I plan to use mines for pigsticking, and so far they seem to be just what I was looking for Big Grin ...

I haven't tested them yet, but I would say that mines are made from rather soft carbon steel... which has its advantages since it won't crack or break in an "stressed" lunge ... so far I am interchanging data with the Museo de Armas de la Nacion to figure out if they are really spear heads brought from Germany in the mids 1840 to be used in our cavalry regiments - but actually the worst thing that might happen would be that they are just spearheads made out of 1050 steel, in which case I might probably only have to heat & reheat them properly, if so - and perhaps not even that Wink

You might find them even cheaper than 150 pesos each ... I bought four for just 250 pesos, and mines are in excellent conditions, not even sharpened once Cool

Μολὼν λάβε

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Africaander,
Thanks
My concern is the same. i would not like to have them only for "the show". Big Grin

According to the seller is a "Modelo 1895"

Thanks
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Where you bougth the spears ,i want some ,we want to test them as soon as posible.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
I bought them through mercadolibre.... and I count with you for the final test, Juan my friend !!

I am assembling them to use with you and all those fine gentlemen of Cordoba ... perhaps we might even make some tent clubs as the englishmen did in India and settle a Cordoba Cup for pigsticking ! Cool thumb

Μολὼν λάβε

one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Martin Godio:
Africaander,
Thanks
My concern is the same. i would not like to have them only for "the show". Big Grin

According to the seller is a "Modelo 1895"

Thanks
Martin

So glad you share all these crazy sports (as my wife quotes Big Grin) as we do, Martin Godio ...

BTW, I would like to have mines for the show aswell, just that I like to have "show items" that have proven their use in "combat" Wink Big Grin

I think all these militaria stuff have alleged dates just for mere fancy marketing, trying to give them a history they might not have and we cannot be assure of... no matter when was it made (or say it to be made Roll Eyes) my advice is to judge them from a practical point of view... if you see it might be useful buy it, but don't be cheated with that uncertain supposed manufactured date (which, actually, can also be true Wink !!)

Μολὼν λάβε