THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SOUTH AMERICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  South American Big Game Hunting    Â¿There is dangerous game in Argentina?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

¿There is dangerous game in Argentina?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a nutshell, yes. Hunting hogs with a knife and a pack of dogs is a sport for the brave hearts, of course. But there are two more species which often produce an old, well fashioned fear: the water buffalo and the feral cattle. The water buffalo in the wild is a monster, many bulls weigh more than a ton and in some areas charge even horsemen, kill domestic cattle, break fences, and so on. And they had bad manners: during a dark night I was followed by one of them in very rough terrain, but was fortunate enouch to reach an electrified fence before him. That´s another story, anyway.
But the worst of all is the feral cattle. Living in the thorn areas in the North or the frozen mountains in the South. Little is known of its behaviour, they being rarely senn, but there are many tales of charges on sight and "en masse". And almost always you can´t outrun them due to the vinal (longh thorns) zone or climb a tree. For these long horned critters, the 458 Lott seems a good choice, they resemble very closely the Spanish fighting bulls, the "toros de lidia". Do imagine being charged by a bunch of killer cows!. Eeker

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
I always agreed with Richard ,yes perhaps wild cattle is the worst i saw several people badly injured for them and every year some people are killed ,water buffalo prodeuced some accidents too ,and two puma hunters were killed in Cordoba mountains by pumas several years ago ,hunting capibara with knife and dogos is another ultimate sport that can injure you ,of course in the northen jungles there are jaguars but they are banned for hunting .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It seems I wrote the previous post with my elbows, never´ve seen so many typos! Big Grin
To return, I forget to quote that in some areas the fallow deer and feral goats can only be found at the mountain top. And these are some hills my friends, the Tres Picos reaches almost 4.000 feet. Shots there are usualley very, very long. In my halcyon days we hadn´t rangefinders, unfortunately.

Posts: 1020 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 21 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm,, i think i have to live in Argentina for a few years and be a Big Game hunter for my profession Big Grin

Is there a Argentianean ammo factory that can sponsor me with big bore ammo ? dancing

Well, the .500 Jefferey will be interresting to use when its buildt in a while . But where shall it be tested , i wonder ?? Wink

But to speak about the facts, When a country can offer so much of various hunting, why is there a need to travel far away to get various experiences and emotions of what a 2000 pouns bull in a thick brush can get to you if you dont get to shoot first against it , what will that make you feel like? Cool

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You feel like your blood has turned water in your veins...try looking for a wounded buffalo in the night, hearing its heavy breathing and discovering that your little Maglite gave the ghost Big Grin. Knowing that soldier that runs is useful for another war, I found the dead beastie the next morning CRYBABY
No ammo factory here will sponsor your hunts I fear, but your 500 Jeffery is wellcomed. Ask your neighbour JefferyDenmark, he used it against our hogs and discovered that it was not necessary to peel the pigs after being shotBig Grin

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
"Dont cry for me Argentina..,"

I couldnt help my self !! Big Grin

Well i think the Buffalo can wait to later expeditons so it wont be like almost reading something out of PHCs book about wild beasts,that can turn the hunter from instead of be looking at the nature to be part of the nature.

Strangely he never wrote about redhaired girls, and are the latino redheads fiery also ...? sofa animal Wink

So that will take some time before the .500 is ready, but who knows a future tour over there with several .500 rifles would be fun.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildpork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Strangely he never wrote about redhaired girls, and are the latino redheads fiery also ...?

Exactly what are you going to hunt for? Wink

Posts: 106 | Location: the great northeast | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Well isnt there many sorts of dangerous game ?
Big Grin

But i will try to keep away from the redheads, i have to hunt a bit, not feel like im the hunted.

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Several old PHS very stomped by buffalos among them Teddy Fainhurst and C. Coto i personally know others who have several lessions due this critters.I cannot speak about the other critters but they are very dangerous .Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi,

My grandfather lived in Tucuman in the 1970s and one of his business associates were killed by a wild boar in Bolivia. As I understand he was told to post from the back of a pickuo truck but he heard some noise and jumped off the truck to see what it was and was charged and killed by the boar.

Apparently it was popular to hunt boar in the bolivian jungle and there must be some enormous ones there. Do they still hunt up there and have you guys ever heard of someone being killed by a boar?

Best Regards /Karl

Posts: 20 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 01 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juan,
You mentioned that hunting capibara with knife and dogs is also "dangerous". I perceive the capibara as a big water borne rodent.

I would imagine that the hunter and dogs could get bitten badly? Please enlighten me.

Thank you.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 619 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
You are totally rigth carpinchos are very ,dangerous for the dogs ,when i was very young i remeber seeing the injures of the criollos greyhounds and a lot of them were killed ,my father took me at the age of 8 to hunt capibaras and i saw the dogs baddly injured .In Corrientes where we hunt buffalos a border collie was killed recently ,so.... yes the water rats are dangerous for the dogs.Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only the women in Buenos Aires!!

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wish i could afford dogo its up there on my list of dogs. i make do with pits and catahoulas. nothin like a 60 pound dog on a 250-300 pound hog.

drew