Find
Notify
Tools

pecari de collar
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Which one is the peccari???? jumping

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Juan:

In the southwestern U.S. we call the collared peccary a "javelina," which as you know is a bastardization of the Spanish word for "little jabali." I've shot close to 50 of them with rifle, muzzleloader and bow in Arizona, but none was as large as yours.

The photo also makes your animal look a lot larger than the jabali I shot in Spain in the mid-1980s. How much (in pounds) do you think yours weighed?

Also, if you used a knife on that creature, you must have stabbed it until it quit quivering! I have never seen a bloodier pecari de colar.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Bill i shot many,many peccaries since i was very young ,here we have 3 types or species ,lipped peccary,collared pecary ,and quimilero peccari ,hogs and peccaries hunting is one of my favourites sports ,i hope when i hunt in Africa to kill moost of the hogs they have too.Juan

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

Posts: 6362 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
Juan:

I, too, am a fan of hunting peccaries. I shot my first one at age 12 -- nearly sixty years ago.

The common names in English for the quimilero peccarí are giant or chacoan peccary. Until the early 1970s, most U.S. wildlife scientists thought they were extinct until an acquaintance of mine went to South America and collected several specimens.

The three types are full species, and not subspecies, which means if crossbreeding were to occur all offspring would be sterile.

Are you able to hunt el quimilero peccarí legally?

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
My first big game animal was a Peccary (Javelina)

.30-06, 150gr PowerPoint

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Peccary fever. Juan, you and I need to go and get some of your different peccaries but with the cuchillo. And the Yarara Martin gave me would be perfect. I have not the numbers of peccaries as Bill Q., but have taken a fair share. Only one with a rifle, the rest with my trusty Ruger .44 magnum, 10.5 inch barrel. Not sure of weights but at one time two of mine were either #s 1 and 2 in the SCI record book for handgun, or tied.

Daughter Jessica's first "big game" critter was a javelina.

I stopped applying for the little devils because I do not like to eat them. thumbdown Bill Q, being the talented chef that he is, does a pit bar b q that he tells me makes them quite palatable. I still prefer jabili. thumb

My grandson, Sonny, with his first big game animal with his bow.....he was 12.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Its very nice to see youngs hunting ,at least our way of life and tradition will be not lost,congratulations to your grandson Bill and you must bring him here .Iki is always killing cuises near home with his bow .Juan

DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA

One of Us
Picture of Gayne C. Young
posted Hide Post
Is that a collared or white lipped peccary.

I did a story on Teddy Roosevelt hunting javelina in Texas for a magazine here in the states. I've hunted them myself.

Visit my homepage
www.gaynecyoung.com

Posts: 710 | Location: Fredericksburg, Texas | Registered: 10 July 2007Reply With Quote