Find
Notify
Tools

Need recipe.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
Hello All. I'm looking for a recipe for East Indian chicken curry or a similar curry dish. Since my son is working in the oilfields my daughter in law comes over on Sunday evenings to watch her HBO "soaps" as I have satellite.I always cook supper. She has exspressed an interest in a curry dish.Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks.R.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not the same dish, but I'd highly recommend a panang curry from Thailand. Here is a recipe I copied from the net. You can substitute or take out items as necessary. For instance, you can use cilantro instead of "thai basil leaves." It tastes great without the chiles, the amount of them you use depends on the heat tolerance of your victim. Wink

Panang curry is basically a soup type dish that is usually served with or over rice.

quote:
Ingredients

Original recipe makes 4 servings
5 tablespoons Panang curry paste
cooking oil
4 cups coconut milk
2/3 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cubed
2 tablespoons palm sugar
2 tablespoons fish sauce, or to taste
6 kaffir lime leaves, torn
2 fresh red chile peppers, sliced
1/4 cup fresh Thai basil leaves

Directions

Fry the curry paste in the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat until fragrant. Stir the coconut milk into the curry paste and bring to a boil. Add the chicken; cook and stir until the chicken is nearly cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir the palm sugar, fish sauce, and lime leaves into the mixture; simmer together for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the saltiness by adding more fish sauce if necessary. Garnish with sliced red chile peppers and Thai basil leaves to serve.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And another, more complicated but better result:

quote:

Thai Panang Curry Recipe
Penang Chicken Curry with Sweet Peppers

D.Schmidt
Thai panang curry can be made with either beef or chicken, according to your preference. Panang curry (also spelled 'Penang' like the northern Malaysian state) carries with it flavors and aromas of distant places - you'll find references to Malaysia, India, and Burma. With its homemade combination of spices and fresh herbs, this Panang Curry Chicken is super delicious and easily made from scratch. Enjoy this sumptuous homemade Thai recipe, direct from my kitchen to yours!
Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 1 hour

Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes

Ingredients:

1 small chicken, or 1/2 medium-large chicken cut up into pieces (or the equivalent of beef)
3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
1 red bell pepper or sweet red pepper, sliced
2 kaffir lime leaves, or substitute bay leaves
1/2 loose cup fresh basil leaves, left whole or roughly chopped if leaves are large
CURRY SAUCE:
4 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 small onion, quartered
1 thumb-size piece galangal OR ginger, sliced
3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp. fish sauce
1 tsp. shrimp paste
1 Tbsp. paprika
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/2 tsp. whole cumin
1-2 red chili, minced, OR 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper or chili flakes to taste
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1 can good-quality coconut milk
juice of 1/2 lime

Preparation:

To make the curry sauce, place all sauce ingredients - except the whole cumin seeds - in a food processor. Process well.
Pour sauce into a cassarole dish. If you'd like more sauce, add up to 1/2 cup good-tasting chicken stock and stir together. Now add the chicken pieces along with the cumin seed plus lime leaves or bay leaves. Mix well.
Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Note: this curry would traditionally be simmered over a stovetop or wood fire. I've taken the liberty of adjusting it to an oven recipe for ease of preparation, but feel free to simmer it on your stovetop if desired, being sure to cover it and stir occasionally until cooked.
Remove from oven and add the tomatoes and peppers. Stir well, then return to oven to bake another 15-20 minutes, or until both chicken and vegetables are cooked.
Do a taste test: add more fish sauce if not salty enough; if too spicy, add more coconut milk or a little yogurt. If too salty, add more lime juice.
Sprinkle with fresh basil leaves and serve with plenty of Thai jasmine rice (white or whole-grain). ENJOY!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Charlie. Since this a 1st attempt I will try the 1st suggestion.Seems a bit more user friendly until I want to experiment more.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norman:

Keep in mind that it is kind of a sweep the kitchen soup, with the coconut milk, curry paste, and fish sauce (optional IMO, but I like it) you've got the basics, the rest is just ingredients to your tastes. Reminds me of gumbo, if you make a roux, they are all gumbos but there are large differences between seafood gumbos and a chicken and sausage gumbo, both good, of course.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
West Indian Chicken Curry with Lime
Simple and foolproof and delicious
a little oil
1/2 lime cut in half
2 TBS each of curry powder, chile powder
3 TBS soy sauce
cup water
1 large onion cut to 1.2 inch pieces
Method:
Saute' the onion in a little oil to transluscency, and transfer to a bowl with the spices and the soy sauce. Mix well.
Use a little oil to (just) brown the chicken pieces in the Dutch oven, then drain oven. Place the onion/spice mix over the chicken pieces in the Dutch oven along with the water. Put in 325 oven, covered for 45 minutes. Remove cover and squeeze lime quarters overall. Then add residual peel. Gently mix all. Return uncovered to 325 oven for 10 minutes.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
I am a country boy, and have never been exposed to Indian food. I have heard references to curry dishes all my life, and always thought it was from India, but I see now that there are many versions.

Please help me out of my ignorance.

Exactly what is "curry"?

Possibly, the more pertinent question is, "What are the common ingredients of curry powder and/or curry paste?"

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cat,thanks. Sunday night was a success. Conifer,I'll try your's next.Wingnut,I cannot give you the history of curry cooking;that's why I asked for recipes. I do know that it is prevalent in the East Indian cultures. I suppose the best example I could make is that they use curry powder over there like we (Texans) use chili powder + cilantro over here. I'm sure some more learned will give us a lesson. I truly would like to hear it.Knowledge is always good.