Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Chili
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Real Mann’s Chili

3 Boxes of Carroll Shelby’s Texas Chili Mix (I use this because it is cheaper than buying several bottles of quality chili powder and it comes with masa flour to thicken it, and this is all I use masa for)
3 – 8 oz. Cans of Tomato Sauce
3 – 14 oz. Cans of Diced Tomatoes
16 oz. Water
8 oz. Jack Daniels
5 lbs. of Ground Venison (Can Substitute Extra Lean Ground Beef)
1 lbs. of the Fattiest Ground Beef You Can Find (Can Substitute Bacon for the Fat, but Takes Less)
2 Large Sweet Onions
2 Large Green Bell Peppers
1 Large Red Bell Pepper
3 Large Baby Portabella Mushrooms
3 C of Chopped Celery (About 1 bunch)
5 Large Jalapenos
2 Habanero Peppers
1 Can of Red Kidney Beans (Optional)
Jalapeno Cornbread (Optional)
Fritos Scoops (Optional)
Grated Cheddar or Mexican Cheese Blend (Optional)
Salt

Open box chili kit and throw away cayenne packet. Next chop veggies extremely fine and mix into a bowl. Next, brown meat 2 lbs at a time and sauté 1/3 of the vegetable mixture in a large saucepan together. I mix the fatty beef in with the Venison because it is so lean. If you want healthy chili drain the fat or if you want tasty chili dump the entire pan into your crock-pot. Repeat two more times. Next, chop jalapenos and habanero peppers and dump straight into the crock-pot. I throw them into a processor to make a paste. You can seed the peppers if you want the flavor of the peppers, but less heat. We use it all. Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, water, and whiskey. Stir and cook on high for 1 hour and low for at least 2 hours. It can stay longer if needed, but do not burn and remember the longer you cook the spicier it will get. 5 minutes before serving put in the masa/water mixture in and stire. Serve with jalapeno cornbread, Fritos and/or cheese.

This is the chili mix I use. Comes with the the correct amount masa flour to thicken the chili.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote