New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Pit Crafters; Now What?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm just finishing an Outdoor Living Area project and am about to take possession of a built-in Texas Pit Crafters PM-1000 Infra-Red Gas Grill, and a TPC PM-500 BBQ Pit/Smoker. On my test run I'm going to smoke some pheasant/chukar on the PM-500.

The PM-1000 is a head-scratcher for me. I've never had an infra-red gas grill, and don't know how to adjust to it. Apparently the manufacturer doesn't know either as their reference material and website don't give in recommendations, recipes, etc.; just says it cooks great steaks, seafood, and vegetables.

If anyone has any thoughts on smoking pheasant/chukar, I would appreciate hearing about your technique/recipe.

I guess with the infra-red, I'll just try some simple steaks. If anyone has any experience with infra-red gas grills, let me know how you've done with it. Sounds to me like it is going to be hot and fast.

http://www.texaspitcrafters.com/gas-grills.html

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i've only smoked pheasant a couple of times, but it was excellent.

the main thing i would advise is to keep the birds moist; by moist, i mean both with moisture content (brining or marinating might be a good idea) and also where some sort of fat is concerned (wrap them with bacon, perhaps). also, be careful with herbs and spices, as it can be easy to overwhelm, but definitely don't be afraid to use them. finally, never underestimate the power of apple or citrus in really making a bird taste good.

as for the grill, smoker, i'll send a p.m.! tu2

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best part of my kitchen "commercial type" stove is the gas infra-red broiler.It's fast and I can broil without heating up the whole kitchen. A pleasure to use ! Never tried to smoke stuff.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The infrared grill (PM1000) is not for smoking, just grilling. The PM500 has the smoking capability. Right now I'm up to my ears in electricians. I suspect in another week or so I'll take possession, and try both units.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Today my contractor passed along to me a one-page "Cooking Hints & Helpful Tips" that came with the infrared grill. It has short sections on grilling meat, chicken & chops, shrimp skewers, tuna & salmon, hamburgers, and vegetables.

Everything is shown to be cooked on HIGH. All the meats start out with 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side, followed by flipping every thirty seconds until the meat is cooked to taste. They say a 1" steak is rare after 5 minutes total, medium in 6, and medium-well in 7.

About the 1st of the month everyone should be cleared-out of the area, and I'll cook something.