Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a good idea for duck.
 Login/Join

posted
If you have any ideas please let me know. Even crazy ideas.

One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Duck Confit
1 (4 1/2 lb) duck
4 teaspoons kosher salt
2 bay leaves, broken into pieces
5 sprigs fresh thyme
3 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
1 1/2 cups lard or additional duck fat

To cook one duck, you need about 2 1/2 cup duck fat.
A 4 1/2# duck renders at least 1 cup of fat.
Ask your butcher for extra duck fat, or you'll need another cooking fat to supplement.
I'd use a mild lard; it's flavor isn't obtrusive.
A 4 1/2# Long Island duck typically yields about 8 oz confit meat (equal parts leg and breast meat).
Prepare the duck: Cut the legs and each breast half from the duck.
Trim any excess skin and fat from the legs and save for rendering.
Gently but firmly pull the skin from the breast meat.
Set the skin aside and put the breast and legs in a baking dish.
Sprinkle liberally with the salt.
Nestly the bay leaves, thyme and garlic among the duck pieces.
Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 24 hours.
Render the fat: Trim all the skin and fat from the carcass.
Put the skin and fat, including the skin from the breasts and trimmings from the legs in a small heavy saucepan over low heat.
Cook, partially covered, at a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally to prevent the skin from sticking.
After about 1 1/2 hours, the skin will be a deep golden in color and crisp, meaning it has rendered almost all of its fat.
Take the pan off the heat and let it cool slightly.
Strain the fat into a container, seal it, and refrigerate until ready to use.
The crisped skin may be eaten or discarded.
Cook the duck: In a heavy, 1 1/2 qt saucepan, melt the rendered fat over low heat.
Blot the duck pieces with paper towels to remove any excess salt and to dry them.
Put the duck in the pan, along with garlic, thyme and bay laves.
Arrange the pieces so that they're all submerged.
If needed, add more lard.
Cook, uncovered, at a very gently simmer, between 185 degrees and 195 degrees, for 2 hours.
Do not stir, and never let it boil.
After 2 hours, the duck confit will be very tender and will come easily off the bone.
Lift the duck from the fat using tongs and either use imediately or cool and store, covered, in the refrigerateor for up to a week.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
Duck, Sausage And Oyster Gumbo

Ingredients:
Two Bell Peppers
3 medium size onions
1 bunch of green onions
Two tablespoons Minced Garlic
Toni’s Season
Salt
Pepper
Louisiana Hot sauce
4-6 Large Duck Breasts
¾ lb of Link Sausage
1 Pint of oysters including oyster juice
4 chicken Bouillon cubes
Roux

Cooking Instructions:
Add roux and vegetables and cook over medium to medium-low heat until the veggies are soft
Add ½ full water to a 2-3 gallon pot and bring to a boil
Add cooked roux and vegetables to boiling water
Add Bouillon cubes
Add duck breast and cook for 1 hour
Add seasoning to taste
Cook for an additional hour
45 minutes prior to serving add oysters and sausage
Serve over Medium grain white rice .

MICROWAVE ROUX

Vegetable oil and all-purpose flour

Mix two ingredients until a very thick milk shake consistency exists.
Microwave on High for four minutes. Then Stir
Microwave on High for 3-2 minutes and stir.
When mixture turns starts to turn a darker shad, keep reducing time down to two minutes per time while stirring after the microwave time has elapsed.

Stop when the roux is one shade lighter than desired, as it will turn darker when setting for a couple of minutes. Be careful, as this is hot as hell if it gets on you!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ben589
posted Hide Post
I don't know what it's called, but here's what you need:

Duck
Can Pineapple chunks
Bag Dried Apricot halves.
Bacon
Large toothpicks

Cut duck into chunks.
Put duck, pineapple, and apricot half on a toothpick
Wrap tightly with bacon

Bake or grill until done.

These things are GREAT for finger-foods at get-togethers.

======================================
Cleachdadh mi fo m' féileadh dé tha an m' osan.

Posts: 2172 | Location: Highlands of South Alabama, USA | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Grilled Raspberry-Dijon Duck Breast
2 duck breasts, filleted & skinned
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
Combine all ingredients in a shallow dish and marinate the fillets for 2 1/2 hours, turning often. Preheat broiler and place fillets on foil in broiler pan 5 inches from the heat. Broil 10 minutes per side or grill to taste over hot coals. Do not over cook. Remove from the heat when the breast are still pink at the center.
SAUCE INGREDIENTS:
1/4 Cup black raspberry jelly
1/4 cup water
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp lime juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp steak sauce
1/4 tsp crushed caraway seed
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
COOKING:
Combine all ingredients and heat to a simmer. When breasts fillets are done, slice diagonally across the grain. Arrange slices on plates and ladle sauce onto them just before serving.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is the best recipe I have used on duck. Filet the meat off the breast, cut in 1/2" strips across the grain of the meat, put in pot of a boiling mixture of 50% water & 50% orange juice. Leave just till meat turns light colored (almost white), remove & drain, brown in a skilet with butter, season with garlic powder, pepper & salt. I have taken ducks cooked with this method to work & had friends try it without telling them what it was. 98% though they were eating beef tips! The orange juice & water takes out the strong flavor of duck. Enjoy!!

Regards Mike

Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
This is about as simple, and tasty as it gets:

Take the skinned,boned out breast halves, and marinate them in the fridge, in Italian salad dressing. Remove the breasts from the marinade, and roll them up, and then wrap them with bacon strips fastened with tooth picks. Fire up the gas or charcoal grill, nice and hot, then place the breasts on the grill. When the bacon is nice and crispy, the duck will be done medium to medium rare.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This recipe is for use as an appitzer.

I use duck or goose breast meat cut into small cubes.

Wrap one cube with a small amount of honey mustard, minced olive or caper in a half strip on beacon. Use a toothpick to keep together.

Bake until almost cooked, then quickly broil to brown.

One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
You might want to try Alton Brown's method of foodtv.com. It is fairly simple and consists of quartering the duck (skin on which is important later) and brining it in an orange juice brine. Then steaming the quarters for about 8 minutes and then putting in a cast iron skillet under a 500 degree broiler for about 3 minutes per side. He also has a sauce recipe made from pan drippings.

Most of his stuff is simple and easy for most people with any modest culinary skills and most all of his recipes are decent.

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steel Slinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeh416Rigby:
This is about as simple, and tasty as it gets:

Take the skinned,boned out breast halves, and marinate them in the fridge, in Italian salad dressing. Remove the breasts from the marinade, and roll them up, and then wrap them with bacon strips fastened with tooth picks. Fire up the gas or charcoal grill, nice and hot, then place the breasts on the grill. When the bacon is nice and crispy, the duck will be done medium to medium rare.

This is a damn good way to eat duck. I do it a slightly different way though.

I slice the breast into strips and marinate in milk, then roll a half strip of bacon with it, instead of around it. You might also try slow cooking/smoking it. It makes about a two bite portion, and it really goes great as a side meat, with say steak or pork chops as your main meat.

I think I'm gonna have to try it your way next season mike.

FiSTers... Running is useless.

Posts: 315 | Location: Fayetteville, Arkansas | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1.Breast them out.

2.Put on the grill far away from the burgers or other desirable meat.

3.Feed to the dog.

I have never found a good way to eat them, but I love to hunt them. Maybe I will try some of these recipes.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My mother was from Belgium and she had a wonderful recipe for duck. A neighbor, when I was growing up, hunted ducks and every so often would give us a few.
I wish I had her recipe but I don't. However, I know that she mixed red wine with water, added a little garlic, chopped tomatoes and onion to the mix, and then added prunes.
The ducks went into a pot, were covered with this mix, and then the pot was covered. They were baked at medium temp, I'd guess.
The prunes were served as a side dish to the duck. Either the sauce was sugared beforehand, or it got its sweetness from the prunes. I don't know.
How I wish I had that recipe! But this might give you a good idea for experimentation.
I don't remember the ducks ever tasting gamey. They were wonderful each time.

"Champagne for my real friends, and real pan for my sham friends!" --- Tom Waits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
duck + shrimp + wild rice
slice the duck (or goose) into 1/2" strips & sautee with mushrooms and onions. Boil wild rice (this takes awhile) until done. mix the duck, onion, and mushrooms into the wild rice. Add a pack of smaller shrimp. Season with peppers, bayleaf, basil, & poultry seasoning. Add about 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Bake in a 350 deg. oven for about 20 minutes. Just before taking out of oven top the mix with mozerella, or monteray jack cheese until it melts. You'll have to figure out the amounts depending on how many people you are serving. The seasonings are to your taste, but often I like to add in some peri peri.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
duck supreme.

1. take unplucked and uncleaned duck, place in dumpster or other proper receptacle, drive away slowly, so as not to arouse suspicion.

2. find new hobby that produces animals with edible meat.

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Throw it away

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get all of these answers with all of those ingredients. If I am going to eat duck (and I do like it very much), I put it in a roasting pan with a little water to keep it moist and cook it low and slow so it gets tender. Thats it!! Big Grin

one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
22wrf
Are you telling the truth? duck gets tender i had no idea? how tender does it get, shoe leather or possibly old tire soft!! Big Grin i may have to rethink my current recipe of finding unsuspecting neighbors and garbage cans to take my ducks. NAHHHHH!!!!!
animal animal animal animal animal

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I am telling the truth. You have to keep it moist and cook it at low temps for a longer time. the only thing I don't like about ducks is, like all birds that were hunted, it can be hell on your dental work.

Bwana your problem is that you have to eat em after they have gotten tough doing all of that flying down there to Texas. I get to eat em right after they leave Canada.

posted Hide Post
I generally make duck jerky........the dog seems to like it. Not wise to let him ride in the cab after a few pieces.

Posts: 17 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Duck Breast
Jar of Jalepenos
Bacon strips
Tony's seasoning
cream cheese

1) Filet breast off of bone and cut into small cubes(around 3/4").
2) coat cubes w/ Tony's seasoning
3) place one slice of Jalepeno on cube
4) Wrap 1/3 strip of bacon around meat and 'peno and stick toothpick thru
5) Place on grill until done but, don't burn
6) Place on platter and rub alittle cream cheese on each

Pass them out at a party for apetizers, they're great. This even works for the divers but, I prefer only good ducks.

Second Recipe:

1)Filet Duck Breast into strips coat in Tony's and marinate in italian dressing for 24 hours.

2)beat some raw eggs together in a bowl.

3)dip breast strips into egg and into flour (go back into egg and flour again if a really thick batter is desired)

4) deep fry

Both of the above are great and either will work fantastic w/ deer, Beef, and Turkey. You will probably want to tenderize the beef and deer though.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found Ginger has been my cure to even Sea Ducks. Add some orange juice and cook it down some. Add to this whatever as it will blen dnicely. Serve over brown rice w/ egg .

Posts: 132 | Location: MA | Registered: 30 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut boneless duck (or goose) breast into 1/2" strips. Dredge in seasoned flour and brown. Add one can cream of mushroom soup and 1-1/2 can water. Bring to boil, cut heat back and let simmer for ~30 minutes. Serve over steamed rice.

Also: fillet breast off breastbone. Cut in half, and open a pocket in center. Insert jalapeno pepper half, slice of onion. Wrap with bacon strip. Marinate in Italian dressing for 3-4 hours, sprinkle with Tony's or other creole seasoning, then grill over hot coals.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Birdwell:
This is the best recipe I have used on duck. Filet the meat off the breast, cut in 1/2" strips across the grain of the meat, put in pot of a boiling mixture of 50% water & 50% orange juice. Leave just till meat turns light colored (almost white), remove & drain, brown in a skilet with butter, season with garlic powder, pepper & salt. I have taken ducks cooked with this method to work & had friends try it without telling them what it was. 98% though they were eating beef tips! The orange juice & water takes out the strong flavor of duck. Enjoy!!

Regards Mike

Mike - I'm in the process of trying a number of these recipes offered here. Yours was the first. It turned out great...my wife even liked it and she is super picky. Thanks!

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote