one of us
posted
How about Venison Potato Sausage
3 to 4 med onions
7 oz. Salt
3 tsp. Ground Alspice
2 Lbs. Ice Water
3 tsp. MSG
3 Tbs. Ground Black Pepper (more if you like)
7.5 Lbs. of Potatoes washed or peeled
12 1/2 Lbs. Pork Butts
5 Lbs. Venison (ALL fat removed)
Grind meat, potatoes and onions through a 3/8 grinder plate, Add spices and Ice Water mix well. Make sure your sausage is still very cold and regrind through a 3/8 plate again. Stuff into the largest hog casings you can find. Make sure you do not over stuff potato sausage or it will burst when cooking. Potato sausage must be eaten or frozen ASAP. I like to cook mine in a covered fry pan with a little water and oil. After several minuts I remove the cover and fry until golden brown.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys, greetings from 'down under' Down Under. I use a very simple sausage recipe for my kangaroo sausages and works just as good for venison. Its a traditional South African recipe.
Boerewors (Farmers Sausage)
2 kg (4.5 pound) of venison
750 gr (26 ounces) of boned thick rib of pork
200 gr (7 ounces) of pork fat
1 tablespoon of ground coriander
2 tablespoons of salt
a good pinch of nutmeg
half a cup of vinegar

Cut the meat and fat into small cubes. Sprinkle the seasoning over the meat (not the vinegar), mix well and mince together. Add the vinegar and mix lightly, but thoroughly. Stuff into your cases, The recipe says to refrigerate for 24 hrs but when the temperature is in single numbers ie less than 10deg Celcius (50deg F) (I hang mine in a fly free area for the 24 hrs.
Cook in a moderate heat for 10-12 minutes, your favourite sauces and presto! Great Eating.

Posts: 40 | Location: Tasmania, Australia | Registered: 21 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with the casings from PS Seasoning & Spice in Iron Ridge Wisconsin. www.psseasoning.com . They also have Great premixed sausage seasonings at a super price. Try their "Fresh Polish" made with 1/2 pork and 1/2 Venison. I have found that if you soak your casings in warm water and a little vinegar for about 1/2 hour +, they have a more tender bite.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote