Find
Notify
Tools

Sausage making
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Couple of fat questions.......
Have a bunch of chukar that I am turning into sausage. The recipe that I've just put together asks for an equal amount of chukar and pork fat.

? The sausage that I have made I am assuming that fat is the glue that binds. in this recipe if I want to taste more of the chukar and less pork can I use olive oil?
? In future recipes Can one use lard, being that it is a rendered pork fat and if so how much.
? I have used bacon in various recipes which gives the sausage a desired taste.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The pork fat is there to keep the sausage moist. If you didn't use it you probably would not be able to eat the sausage because it would be too dry. Also, it give a good "mouth feel". I doubt very much that you would have the same eating experience if you used olive oil, and bacon would change the taste. Stick to pork fat.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not use olive oil or lard, because those types of fat are different than the harder pork fat that is called for. Your sausage would definitely be "greasy" and probably would be dry.

One possibility might be to use chicken fat, but I do not know enough about that to give an intelligent opinion.

I personally would use bacon, but as Lindy said there might be taste issues - you would probably be just as well off using the pork fat as directed.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not bacon not olive oil. You might reduce the pork fat to 30 or 40 % . 50 % seems a bit high.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Zephyr -

This might provide some useful suggestions or ideas:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeb...uille_topic4800.html

Hope this helps -

Ron

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or, you could make lard and use it to make biscuits . Then have chukar sandwiches !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry I have been busy this spring and this post honestly escaped me,.
Here is what I ended up with and from the reactions of the folks eating all of my sausage it seems to be a keeper. I only was able to get 4#s of pork fat from our Butcher at the time so I supplemented the rest with Pork Shoulder

5# ground Chukar
4# Pork Fat
1# Pork Shoulder
7 tsp Fennel Seeds
7 tsp Red Pepper
5 tsp dried Oregeno
10 tsp Garlic Powder
5 tsp Salt
4 tsp Pepper

Grind all meats, mix in the spices let sit over night and stuff. I all so made a some patties that I froze for breakfast sausage

I have 3 more 5# Vacumed Sealed Bags of Chukar in the Freezer this will be reproduced again.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote