THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    New Mexico Magazine - Green Chili Cheeseburgers

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Magazine - Green Chili Cheeseburgers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The May issue has a fourteen page article on the Green Chili Cheeseburger and where to find the best in New Mexico; with tips from the professionals.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jalapeno burgers are now the rage in Idaho, guess enough Texans moved up here to educate these spud eaters what real food is like..and the illegals helped I suspect..New Mexico chili is the queen of the chili world,I buy a 100 pounds every year..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Damn. I have to find a copy of that issue and see where my favorites stack up. Top of my list is the Oso Grill up in Capitan, across the street from Smokey the Bear's grave site.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That looks delicious!

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
YES, IT DOES!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Did "Benny's Burgers" in Bosque, just south of Isleta make the list?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, I wasn't aware that Smokie the Bear had a gravesite. Do tell.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, Smokey was found, badly burned, very near Capitan in the Lincoln National Forest in May of 1950. He died in Washington DC in November of 1976, and was brought home for burial. Here is the state park across the street from the Oso Grill -- "oso" meaning bear or bruin in Spanish.
I get choked up at Smokey's grave as he meant so much to me as a kid growing up in a timber state.
I must have read this very comic book at least 100 times.
https://www.mycomicshop.com/se...axyr=1960&TID=325171

https://www.emnrd.nm.gov/sfd/s...ear-historical-park/

– John Green, author

Posts: 16408 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess you learn something every day Bill. I had no idea about this. Thank you for an interesting read....

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They mention https://www.newmexico.org/thin...-cheeseburger-trail/ as well as the following fine establishments.

Santa Fe's Bang Bite Filling Station
Blake's Lotaburger
Owl Bar & Cafe in San Antonio, New Mexico
Santa Fe Bite
Range Cafe in Bernalillo
Sparky's Burgers in Hatch, New Mexico
Pajarito Brewpub & Grill in Los Alamos
El Parasol in Espanola
505 Burgers & Wings in Gallup
Black Bird Saloon in Cerrillos
Laguna Burger in Albuquerque
High Point Grill in Albuquerque
Plaza Cafe Southside in Santa Fe
Hi-D-Ho Drive-In in Alamogordo
Smoking Griddle in Clovis
Jake's Cafe in Las Cruces
Joseph's Culinary Pub in Santa Fe
De la Tierra Restaurant in Taos
The Skillet in Las Vegas
Sugar Nymphs Bistro in Penasco
Annex Bar & Grill in Logan
Benny's Mexican Kitchen in Bosque Farms
Alma Store & Grill in Glenwood
The El Roi Cafe in Albuquerque

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, my first GCCburger was at the Hi-D-Ho here in Alamogordo. I was impressed, but now that I have had them at so many establishments, I would put them quite a ways down the list, but above the Owl in San Antonio, which was disappointing. My top two are the Oso in Capitan and Sparky's in Hatch. Need to try the Buckhorn in SA, and I have heard great things about the Laguna Burgers in ABQ and in Laguna Pueblo.
Side comment: Tiny San Antonio is famous for its two burger joints, but it is famous for something else: On Christmas day in 1887, a boy was born to Augustus and Mary Hilton. They named him Conrad, and it was his exposure working with guests and customers at his father's store and hotel that led him to create the Hilton Hotel empire.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Popular in Idaho most any place that serves burgers..I moved to Idaho in about 1980 and not one Mexican food resturant or store for Mexican fair..

Today there are many and all condiments are readily available. I remember getting care packages from my kids in Texas

TClouis,
Basque is a long ways NORTH of Isleta, you lost? Isleta is more or less south but but part of EL Paso! wave

I ask you how does one live without Menudo and bar be q'd goat!!!

BTW either Costco or Wallmart sells Hatch Chilis, can't recall which..I buy them by the 100 lb sack or what ever that sack weighs or sometimes in a small square box frozen that holds more chilis than I can count..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I'm usually disappointed in Mew Mexico Magazine. They seem to publicize the wrong people and establishments. A few months ago they were pumping-up people that had done much to benefit New Mexico and maintain its historical charm. They mentioned a bunch of nobodies and their arts and crafts and little businesses, and failed to mention Ted Turner. He is the largest landowner and owns three ranches totaling over a million acres in New Mexico and has done much to conserve the natural beauty and many endangered species of that state. Seems like he would have been worth a mention.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, Ted is the unsung hero. He has done more than anyone that I know of to preserve American wildlands and prairie systems all over the West. Know what? I don't care if he was ever in love with Jane. ( I sure was ... Smiler) He has done the Lord's work in North America.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, you're remembering "Barbarella." Wink

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
A few years ago, I shot a nice bull bison that was destined for one of Ted Turner's ranches in Montana. Suffice it to say, the bison didn't make it to Montana. Big Grin Agree with the sentiments on Ted Turner and conservation. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
The May issue has a fourteen page article on the Green Chili Cheeseburger and where to find the best in New Mexico; with tips from the professionals.

hatch new mexico green chili cheeseburgers are about as close to winning the lottery as you can get! and make great chili rellenos too! used to buy em from roadstands where they was roasting and peeling em. gave new meaning to "peeling ur chili".

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, there is nothing like the smell of Hatch chiles being roasted.
It will be a very tough year for the growers, with so little irrigation water available from the Rio Grande. Elephant Butte is only at 13 percent.

https://waterdatafortexas.org/...idual/elephant-butte

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chile is better deep fried, or should I say peels better or easier or quicker!! whatever! clap mostly Jalapeno, but other chili also..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120