New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Wine Marinade for Venison
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a red wine marinade recipe for venison? Lawry's used to make one but it has since been discontinued. It made for a wonderful taste for gamey meat.

H4L

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red wine fits with dark meat, but I have only tried it once.....it was OK. I have used Dark beer and Jack Daniels and I gotta admit...Southern Comfort and they are all prety good. Soy sauce isn't bad either. Garlic and onion powder are a good thing to include too.

Sometimes it is best to just have "plain deer"

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
Any red that you would drink,chopped garlic,coarse ground black pepper,fresh thyme.For anything thats really tuff add Adolph's plain meat tenderizer.

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always found that red wine makes venison MORE gamey.

Try apple juice.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
I, too, don't normally marinate my venison. But I do have a Red Wine Marinade that works very well with red meats. We've been using this recipe for over 25 years. It really does a job on those tougher (inexpensive) cuts of meat.

Red Wine Marinade
Makes 1 Quart

1 1/2 c Peanut or Cooking oil
3/4 c Soy sauce
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 T Dry Mustard (I use Coleman's)
2 T salt
1 T Black Pepper (fresh grind is best)
1 c Dry Red Wine
2 T Dried Parsely Flakes
1/3 c Fresh Lemon juice

Mix all ingredients together and pour over steaks to cover. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

May "spike" meat with a large fork to help get the marinade into the meat if you can't let it set for 3 or 4 hours.

Turn the meat often enough that all is treated.

We remove the meat from the marinade and put the marinade back into an empty 1 Liter wine carafe and keep in the refrigerator for a few days.

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marinade

1/2 bottle of strong red wine (cheap is ok)
6 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/4 cup oregano
1/4 c basil
1 onion finely chopped
3/4 c vegetable oil.

Directions:

Drink the first half of the bottle of wine (you need to use the bottom half. Combine wine from the bottom half of the wine bottle with all the other ingredients and mix well. Pour over meat to be marinated and refrigerate. If you don't have enough liquid to cover the meat, open another bottle of wine and drink the first half. Pour the rest over the meat until the meat is all covered. Drink what's left in the bottle so it doesn't go to waste.

Bring Back the Wooly Mammoth

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lfaler
posted Hide Post
This is a simple on for a backstrap roast.

1 cup dijon mustard
1 cup grape jelly
1/2 bottle of red wine.

Mix and heat until jelly dissolves and mix until mustard emulsifies. cool to room temp and add venison. marinate 6-24 hours then roast.

Posts: 163 | Location: Missouri by way of Mississippi | Registered: 19 May 2005Reply With Quote