Notify
Tools

Pastys
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rub Line
posted
Pasty Recipie

We have a tradition in our deer camp to make pasty pies for one of our camp meals. It is one of the traditional meals of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I'm not from that area but I used to hunt in far northern Wisconsin and the tradition spilled over from my time hunting near the Southern shores of Lake Superior.

Give it a try, I really like pastys and you can doctor them up to your liking. I pre-cook the beef in a crock pot until it resembles shredded beef. A good pasty has to have rutabagas, potatoes and carrots. I add a lot of garlic and some course ground black pepper.

The way I heard the story of the pasty (pronounced past-E, not paste-E) is the miners, loggers and hunters in the UP made these as a meal that could be easily carried in ones pocket. When lunch time came, they'd all grab their pastys out of their pockets and ate.

I hope some here try making pastys and enjoy them as much as I do, Deer hunting just isn't complete without them.

-----------------------------------------------------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him. Proverbs 26-4

National Rifle Association Life Member

Posts: 1992 | Location: WI | Registered: 28 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
in the UK they are called Cornish pastys and are sold at little roadside stands at the rest areas along the major motorways( our interstate highways)- and yes, they are delicious. they originated in Wales and were a pocket meal for the coal miners( so i was told). i had one 2 weeks ago will driving south from Birmingham to London.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13161 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are (can be) GREAT! I used to live in the U.P. (Hancock), where several cafes offered them....one such was the Kaleva Cafe (gravy optional and good).

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh chit - i was thiking of another kind of pasty that is great to just nibble around

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Me too.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote