New
Find
Notify
Tools

Healthy Bean Soup
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You know what "they" say. Beans, beans, the magical fruit - the more you eat the more you get antioxidants, protein, potassium, magnesium, iron, calcium, folate, b vitamins, and a wide range of soluable and insoluable fiber and essential fatty acids.

Makes 4 quarts Serves 6 -8

2 lbs greens such as kale, collard, swiss chard, beet greens, spinach, or whatever else you like that is green.
1/4 cup EVOO
2 medium yellow onions - diced
2 tbsps freshly chopped garlic
8 ounces freshly chopped mushrooms (or if you want to make this a meat dish use venison burger or sausage) (or what meat you like)
8 cups of chicken broth (or water if you don't like chicken broth)
1 tablespoon of salt - Divided
1 teaspoon of ground black pepper
3 cups of dry beans (soaked until soft) (or 2 15 oz cans of beans) use what beans you like such as garbanzo, white, kidney, black, etc.

Instructions

1. If you are using canned beans open the cans or else have the soaked beans drained and ready in a bowl.
2. Heat the oil in a 6 - 8 quart pot. Add the diced onion and a little bit of the salt. If your using greens with stems (such as chard or beet greens) cut them up to bite size and add them too. Saute on low heat for about 15 minutes.
3. Stir in the mushrooms (or sausage or meat) and the garlic and pepper. (Keep sauteing on low heat until meat is browned if using meat.)
4. Add the chicken broth or water, remaining salt and pepper, and the beans Add the rest of the chopped (bite size) greens.
5 turn down heat to simmer and cook until greens are tender.

you could add noodles or rice, but why?

KJK

Posts: 681 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds very Cuban. When I lived in Tampa years ago there was a restaurant on the bay that served a similar soup. Theirs featured garbanzos, collards, and smoked pork. Very good with some crusty Cuban or French bread and a salad.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It does sound very healthy. I do a 15 bean soup on occasion but the greens addition would be a healthy plus.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I use kale, I mix a little olive oil in with it. That way it doesn't stick to the plate when you scrape it into the garbage.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Stealing this one

quote:
Originally posted by A/C guy:
When I use kale, I mix a little olive oil in with it. That way it doesn't stick to the plate when you scrape it into the garbage.

Posts: 6400 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Another recipe that I am going to have to try! tu2