New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Year's Day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What a fine day to do something different....for me that is the beer bread recipe. What could be more simple? Flour, sugar and a beer. That Frank Davis book still available Amazon, just ordered.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray:

Glad you enjoyed it. All of Davis' cookbooks are excellent.

If you were from Texas, you'd know that you MUST have blackeyed peas, prerably with ham hocks, and collard greens (cabbage, mustard greens, or spinach are acceptable substitutes) on New Years Day. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My third go at this recipe, this time on a tile. Really came out cooked all through, no burned bottom, I will use a tile for all bread making....r in w.

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
New Years's day is the time for a holiday bread,no doubt.We make a big round loaf and in it we put a dollar coin.When the bread is cut up in large pieces,the coin ends up in the lucky one's piece.He is suppose to have good luck in the new year.I got the coin this year for the first time in many years.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's an old English tradition as well. I had my daughter in law over for new years dinner as my son is back in the oil field. I told her I was making bubble+ squeek.She said "Oh great,I love it!! What is it!" Ha! Basically a pot w/ cabbage,potatoes, + halved Keilbasa sausages.Boil until the potatoes are done then serve w/ black pepper. Black eyed peas + cornbread on the side.

Posts: 4236 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote