Find
Notify
Tools

Recipes for Snowshoe Hares
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted
My son has been stalking the abundant Snowshoes on our farm and he managed to get one yesterday with his pellet rifle. jump

Anybody have any recipes?

I am looking for a recipe that will enhance rather than cover up the flavor of the meat.

They are a little "gameier" than Cottontails.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to marinate rabbit or hare in soy sauce, vinegar [balsamic] a good dark beer and prepared mustard. This on a cut up hare ,then roast.

one of us
Picture of Big-Ed
posted Hide Post
First, I have no experience with cooking rabbit.

Now let me tell you what I think Wink

I'd quarter the hare, season with salt and pepper, dredge in flour. Let the flour have time to 'set' on the pieces so it won't just crumble off later. I'd then brown the pieces in a small amount of oil (just to keep from sticking). I'd add some chopped onion and celery to the pan with a little salt (reduce the heat first) and allow the onions to turn clear and the celery tender. A bit of butter probably would be good too, to help the veggies cook. Then, when the veggies are done, perhaps a cup or 2 of wine (a sweeter wine might be better than a dry). Add the hare back in, cover, and pop it into a 350 degree oven until the hare is done. The liquid should be able to be reduced to a very tasty sauce.

I have no idea if this would work, but I'm hungry just thinking about trying it. heh

If it completely fails, refer to my first sentence. Razzer

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Posts: 269 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 07 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 50 | Location: Cypress, TX | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being from South Louisiana a sauce picante is a dish that is use for many types of different game. Here's one that will make your mouth water.

Rabbit Sauce Picante
1 large wild or tamed rabbit (cut in 8 pieces)
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced bellpepper
1 Tbsp garlic
1 12oz can tomato paste
1 beef bouillion cube
2 cups beef or rabbit stock
1 cup all purpoose flour
1 Tbsp lemon

Melt butter in black iron pot then dredge rabbit pieces in the 2 cups of flour.
Brown rabbits good on all sides, next add onions, bellpeppers, garlic
and sautee stirring in the vegetables thoroughly.
Turn heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Next melt beef cubes in hot water and add to beef or rabbit stock.
After simmering for 30 minutes add tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes,
stirring often.
Add remaining flour to the pot and stir in well. Cook for 5 minutes stirring very often.
Next pour your liquid in gradually until reaching thickness desired (gravy
should be like thick stew). Add salt, red and black pepper to taste.
I usually add 1/2 Tbsp of Worchstershire sauce
and three dashes af tabasco (I also live in Louisiana so
its optional but accents rabbit great). Also add lemon.
Serve with steamed rice garnished with fresh chopped parsley.

Rooster

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rooster, tried this recipe last night with jackrabbit. thumb thumb Very tasty!!

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a big jackrabbit a while back. Lightly brown the meat. In a seperate pan cook some mushrooms, onion, garlic, then add a couple cups of white wine and slowly reduce liquid by 1/2. Now dunp it all in a covered pot with the rabbit, add a couple cups of heavy cream, salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme. Cook at 300 until the rabbit is tender. yum jeeze now i'm all hungried up,

the chef