THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RECIPES FOR HUNTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Recipes for Hunters    Can I use French Malbec like Argentine Malbec

Moderators: Ninja Hunter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use French Malbec like Argentine Malbec
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I am not a wine guy, but I loved the Malbed stew I made.

I am headed to France this weekend, and plan on stocking up on Malbec. I assume, the ones I will find will be Frog Malbecs instead of Gaucho Malbecs.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While the grape variety is similar, the taste isn't. The Argentinian Malbecs are much more oak'ish and more fruity while the French version is more on the tannin, earthy side. I like both (then again, I like most anything red) but prefer the South of the Border types.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am one of those people wine gives headaches to. So I only buy it to cook with.

Would you recommend a wine that would be similar to Gaucho Malbec that would be available here in Germany or France.

Each bottle of Argentine Malbec is about $18. Kind of steep to throw in the pot.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with any cheap Malbec from most anywhere if it is going into the pot. All you are really after is a slight wine finish to the dish so if you aren't drinking it, go for cheap.

Otherwise grab a really, really nice Bordeaux and never look back.

Cool

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I would go with any cheap Malbec from most anywhere if it is going into the pot. All you are really after is a slight wine finish to the dish so if you aren't drinking it, go for cheap.

Otherwise grab a really, really nice Bordeaux and never look back.

Cool

+1

Absolutely no sense in spending $18 or even $10 for wine to use in a stew. Get the cheapest real red wine (not some kind of sugared Mogan David 20/20, for example) you can find and use it. Very few people will ever be able to tell any differences and they will probably be master wine tasters.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato, you kinda threw some shade on Mad Dog 20/20. Some of my best friends died drinking that stuff. In large quantities it seemed to have a terminal effect. In small quantities you just seemed to wake-up sleeping on the street with a dead mouse in the bottom of the bottle. I always marveled that they could crawl in, finish the dregs, and be too big to crawl out. I'm sure I studied that problem in Fluid Dynamics, I just don't remember.

Posts: 13788 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just don't remember.

Too much Mad Dog has contributed to the problem. Me too, but it was Strawberry Hill..... Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a dozen 5-7 Euro bottles of red wine in Saint Avold, France yesterday. It was our first trip over there, and we had plans to stop at the American Cemitary after shopping but the French decided to unleash a hell of a rainstorm about the time we got done.

German grocery stores pretty much suck, so it was nice to have the variety that the French are offered in Cora. Reminded me of a Albertsons built into a Whole Foods connected to a Walmart. It was something wonderful.