New
Find
Notify
Tools

Identify Cast Iron
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking to identify the manufacture of a cast iron griddle, its 19x9 with handles on both sides. On the bottom the only marks are:

L G :right in the middle
Large "7" :above the L G
"S" to the right of the 7 about 3 inches.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, Bill/ Oregon is our residential cast iron aficionado; perhaps he knows.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Not sure that any of the marks and numbers translate into a maker. I looked up cast iron/Dutch Oven symbols on the internet and the ones described here mainly deal with type, size, etc. Maybe someone can find something else that is useful in determining the maker. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Looks like a Lodge casting made for a store without the Lodge symbol. Lodge's surface quality is usually rougher than the vintage ones. Could be a LG = long griddle. Is the 7 a line number for a foundry? Might be.
Cast iron numbers

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
For Jon.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw hell, I have one just like it in the bottom oven drawer. I'll look at it tomorrow + tell what I can. I only used it for pancakes on 2 burners when the kids + grandkids were coming by for breakfast.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, same skillet. In the casting on the bottom it says, Wagner Works / Sydney. Although yours + mine are identical; I'm sure that other mfgs used the same pattern as in the old adage," I'm sure they didn't break the mold after they made yours." Regardless, over 2 burners it makes fantastic pancakes. I hope this helps.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Late to this one, but that Web site that Custombolt linked to is truly "cast iron central."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Yep, same skillet. In the casting on the bottom it says, Wagner Works / Sydney. Although yours + mine are identical; I'm sure that other mfgs used the same pattern as in the old adage," I'm sure they didn't break the mold after they made yours." Regardless, over 2 burners it makes fantastic pancakes. I hope this helps.

A picture of yours, with detail on the handles, and raised edges, would be helpful in substantiating commonality.

I can't say all, but all of the cast iron skillets manufacturer's I have, made un marked or "un signed" skillets for retail sellers. Just as today, the mark gave the customer the appearance of quality. Consumers have been trained, all their lives, to evaluate trademarked items as being better than unmarked generic items. And retailers like giving customers choices, and one choice is a cast iron item with the store name on a paper label, that costs less than the same cast iron item with the real manufacturer's trademark.

Sometimes a retailer will pay extra and have the manufacturer cast a store specific markings on the item. The web claims this is a Griswold skillet made for Sears:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing new under the sun as the gun + appliance industries can attest. Western Field. Kenmore, ad nauseum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine were my grandmothers skillet, smooth as a babys butt, seasoned to perfection, wash only with water and perhaps a eye dropper if soap,one drop..Not marked, but late 1800s..Gives a hernia to carry across the kitchen..a formable weapon for uninvited guests, including burglars...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! Heaven help the person that removes the seasoning from my cast iron 'spider'. It can be done again, but it is a process. Formable weapon indeed. Reminds me of a story my Grandfather told when he was young. He slipped a cast iron skillet down the back side of his britches, + when his Dad told him to go + oil the tractor, He said, "You want it oiled, go do it yourself". Anyway, after the skillet came out of his pants, he did get a severe whopping. There was no such thing as child abuse in those days; you screwed up + got your butt busted. America could use more of that today.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
That'n made me laugh, Randy. Thanks. rotflmo
Have a Griswold No. 6 that was my grandmother's, and a big Wagner No. 10 that's hard on my arthritic wrist. Looking at the Stargazer 10.5 -- equivalent to an old No. 8 -- as an in-betweener.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
True story:
An old Texas Ranger friend of mine long past, was sent to arrest a known felon of ill repute and known to fight..

As the Ranger walked up to the house, the perp came out with an iron skillet held over his chest and a pistol in his other hand firing a shot or shots?..The ranger centered the skillet with his 30-30 and bullet and chunks of iron ended the bad guys crime career.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it ain't true, by God, it ought to be!

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Does anyone remember the comic strip "Our Boarding House, with Major Hoople"? The major was always stumbling home in the wee hours after a night of tippling at the Owl's Club and his bride Martha would be waiting for him at the doorstep with either a skillet or a rolling pin.
"Egad! It's Martha..." he would mutter. I wonder if Martha preferred Griswold or Wagner ...
hilbily

– John Green, author