Notify
Tools

Thanksgiving dinner side dishes.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted
Hi people.

I am invited to a thanksgiving dinner with some friends here in hungary among them some americans, therefor I need some help.

The host will provide the turkey, the guests will bring the sidedishes.

What sidedishes goes togethere with a thanksgiving turkey??

Suggestions and recipies are most welcome.

Johan

There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sweet poattoes, green peas in white sauce. Wild cranberry sauce with cranberries you have picked yourself while you were supposed to be moose hunting. Pickles-dill pickles and beet pickles out of grandmothers garden. Mashed potatoes to go with the turkey gravy. A nice dessert- pumpkin pie comes to mind as that's a fall kind of thing--we usually make a spotted dog or spotted dick as some call it instead.

Lots of wine White is traditional but most wine drinkers actually prefer red.

one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Johan, I trust you have access to all the ingredients so I'm sending along a couple that are always well received whenever I prepare them - little bit different than the usual sweet potatoes, etc.
Happy Thanksgiving! wave

Cranberry Chutney

1/4 cup diced dried apricots
1 (12 ounce) package fresh cranberries
1/2 cup raisins
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 pinch ground cloves
1 cup water
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar

In a medium bowl, mix together the apricots, cranberries, raisins, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and cloves.
In a medium saucepan, boil water and sugar, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Add the dried fruit mixture and vinegar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Serve immediately, or refrigerate in a covered container.

Wild Rice-Dried Cherry Pilaf

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup wild rice
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup long-grain white rice
3/4 cup dried cherries
(or Sultanas – golden raisins)
Salt and pepper to taste

In a covered casserole, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the wild rice and chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add the white rice and dried cherries. Cover again and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 minutes. Season, to taste, and serve.

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a little late but -

1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Muffin mix
1 can of Creamed Corn
1 egg
1 cup of sour cream

Mix and pour into a greased baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned on top - it makes a corn cake - casserole that is delicious.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote