Find
Notify
Tools

Not sure about this chili recipe
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I have found the recipes from this site to be dependable in the past, so I thought I would try this "award-winning chili" recipe, even though I gave up long ago on beans and ground beef in what I consider the more genuine approach.
Oh well, with four pounds of meat, poblanos, anaheims and jalapeños, I figured I was in reasonably good hands.
I needed every inch of my Misen 7-quart Dutch oven's capacity to make this dish and in the end I found it just okay. But the beans and the ground beef reminded me of my old college-kid staple, Nalleys' canned Chile Con Carne with Beans. It was a familiar combination, but nothing like my own concoction, which I vastly prefer.
In deference to "Eddie," I have to confess my spices weren't the best quality, or the freshest, and I used regular paprika, not hot.

https://www.panningtheglobe.co...award-winning-chili/

Think I have mentioned the recipe I use, and looking it over I see some areas that could be improved.

Best dang chili recipe

My late father-in-law Jim Neill and I worked this up based loosely on Emeril’s Chuck Wagon Chili recipe.

2 pounds lean chuck roast, cut into ½-inch cubes; elk is great for this too!
3 cups chopped yellow onion
2 TBSP canola or olive oil
1 pkg Carroll Shelby’s Chili Fixins Kit

Brown beef cubes in batches until done, remove, then sauté onions until tender.
Add browned beef back into the pot and sprinkle in the Shelby’s kit seasonings except for the masa harina. Stir to coat beef and onions, then add:

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
12 ounces of Guinness Stout or other dark beer
1 ounce semi-sweet baker’s chocolate, chopped
1-2 TBSP molasses
1 or 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped. Warning – this is where the heat comes from and it is easy to overdo if you add much more.
½ teaspoon liquid smoke.

I let this simmer in a Dutch oven for about three hours, stirring occasionally. When it has thickened and the beef is tender, you can add the masa harina mixed with 1/3 cup water to thicken and further mellow the chili if you want. This is another recipe that is even better the second day, and it also freezes very well.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Yum! tu2 The colder weather is making me want chili! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indeed! The nights now are down into the 30s; great chili weather! Smiler

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote