New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blessed are the sausage makers ...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, when I cut up mine on the table saw (not the best idea), I would soak them overnight in a 5 gal. bucket of water before using the next day.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Check out Cook Shack electric smokers. I've had one for ten years, awesome for brisket and pork butts!

Looked...

They look nice but well out of my budget!

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a good looking recipe I hope to try soon.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm hijacking your thread.

You mentioned "legendary" food purveyors. Bill, you are living at ground-zero. It was called Mrs. Allen's in 1970 when I started eating there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRgaoGJzdqk The place looks exactly the same.

I would drive 40 miles out of my way at least once a week to get to Mrs. Allen's. I was living in Abilene at the time and hitting rigs every day somewhere between Wichita Falls and San Angelo. I would schedule at least one day a week so that I would hit Mrs. Allen's around lunch time. The fried chicken was that good.

I have two distinct memories of Mrs. Allen's.

One day I watched them bring out a fresh plate stacked high with fried chicken and an old man used his hands to take every piece of chicken off the plate and lay them on the table, then he picked the best piece and put every other piece back on the plate, with his hands. The rest of us were speechless.

Another day, I watched a woman and her four kids eating chicken like starving animals. I was guessing that would be the only meal of the day for them. They stuffed themselves until one of the smaller children started throwing-up at the table, which caused a second child to do the same, I had to immediately call time out, get up, pay my bill, and hit the door.

You can have your thread back now.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, that sounds like a great sausage recipe; I'll have to try it.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With breakfast sausage you do not have to smoke it nor stuff it into links either. You can use it as patties.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This I will make for sure soon but with venison instead of the beef...

~Ann

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ann, the blueberry maple breakfast sausage sounds fabulous, and that bologna recipe is very intriguing what with the crushed ice cubes and all those spices. Will try that one.
Ken, I have heard about Allen's since before I moved here; there is at least one Youtube on it. The parking lot is always packed and I will try it soon. Thanks for the prompt!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

Check out Cook Shack electric smokers. I've had one for ten years, awesome for brisket and pork butts!

Wow! That thing is a tank. I think I am going to have to buy one.

Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are going to make these recipes. Thank you for posting them.
One thing we do is grind the meat with the seasonings and spices when we make sausage.
This gives a better mix we feel. if the flavors need adjusting, we will add more on the second grind or mix it in.
WE also have a flat/ round stick jerky tool that we use to make sausage links. Just run out a line with the round stick attachment, cut to desired length and freeze on a tray with wax paper and then use the food saver and freeze.
coues ds

Posts: 336 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good idea using the jerky gun! I still want to try mastering natural casings for sausages.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you might check Amazon for a book on sausage making by this old Czech fellow by the name of Rytec Kutas, I bought a copy many years ago, but who could forget a name like that?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep Randy, I have his book!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a Cook Shack smoker for 33 years and it to this day works absolutely great. Ive had to replace the electric element 1 time. They are great smokers

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal, Ann! He has a lot of knowledge in that book.

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I have used a Smoke Vault quite a bit. A trick I learned - keep it out of the sun!!! The sun (especially) on the front door where the thermometer is will give you a false reading and have you running back and forth adjusting the dial. As a matter of fact I used to hang a piece of plywood over the deck to keep it in the shade. Never a worry. This was a propane model - easy peasy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting ready to do another run of smoked cheese. I like to give them away at Christmastime. People are fascinated with it and cannot understand how easy it is to do.

Also, going to make some jalapeno poppers with smoked cream cheese to go with my grilled (home grown beasts) chicken wings this evening. Insane!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
I have used a Smoke Vault quite a bit. A trick I learned - keep it out of the sun!!! The sun (especially) on the front door where the thermometer is will give you a false reading and have you running back and forth adjusting the dial. As a matter of fact I used to hang a piece of plywood over the deck to keep it in the shade. Never a worry. This was a propane model - easy peasy.

I plan to use one of those digital meat probes that blue tooth to your phone once I get rolling. Technology can be useful. Big Grin

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Ann: Your descriptions of the yummy food is killing me! Big Grin Stop it! Stop it! rotflmo clap

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
UEG: Ann certainly has a knack for it doesn't she? Cool

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
UEG: Ann certainly has a knack for it doesn't she?

Amen, Bill! Amen! tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Indeed! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a useful link. TONS of info there.

Meats and sausages

~Ann